• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

As a person of the "elderly persuasion", I am still practising social distancing as effectively as possible  --  meaning I have time to do some silly things which I might not have thought of doing before.

So, whilst I spend a lot of time gazing at the faces and movements of the pieces in my collection, I thought I would take a look at the fastenings (tangs and deployants) and mark them out of ten.

So, here goes . . . . . . . .

1/10 (appalling)

7ppVSHY.jpg

A horrible piece of pressed steel. Flimsy and rickety. If this cost more than a penny or two to make they haven't got their processes under control.

I am not a bracelet person, so I thought it only fair to check by comparison. Luckily, in the box, I do have a bracelet for my Sport Evo. Comparing the fastenings was like matching a Tonka toy against an S-Class.

Tacky. Enough said.

5/10 (perfectly adequate, but could do better with a bit of thought)

FYh4sEJ.jpg

vLwoeqL.jpg

nA8KyiM.jpg

Nicely made, simply polished tang buckles  --  each featuring the manufacturer's logo (the Meistersinger "smile", the Zenith star, and the AP initials). The star (in considerable relief) is a bit of a dust trap. The AP logo appears to be simply cast in, and is not sharply defined.

6/10 (meets expectations for the price point)

eZ5G6UP.jpg

Pobn0ej.jpg

wNT0EBJ.jpg

Well made brushed steel tang buckle on the Flieger, featuring fairly industrial, but pin sharp, engraving. Exactly what I'd expect from Nomos  --  simply polished but nicely etched logo. Simply polished, but nicely made tang on the Senator  --  the (seemingly) cast in double-G logo is very well executed.

7/10 (quite pleasing)

w5Iwn7Y.jpg

gP4cNbv.jpg

653xew9.jpg

mmwaxdz.jpg

The Dornie deployant is very comfortable. Pressed steel cover, but solidly made, nicely brushed and engraved. A company which seems to get by without a logo (who knew?). The nicely brushed tang from the Panoreserve is more substantial than the Senator item. The tangs from the Atum Pure (steel) and the Index (WG) are simply polished but very well made (and shaped to accommodate the logo) and beautifully engraved.

8/10 (pleasing)

TB6buP1.jpg

wcxjye2.jpg

The very solid deployant from the Benu is well made and extremely comfortable (otherwise as the other two MGs above). The Tang from the Sport Evo Pano is extremely robust, and finished in a combination of polished and brushed.

9/10 (surpassing expectations)

hPFSTPL.jpg

Very robust design and construction, featuring three finishes (polished, brushed and ribbed (to match the sides of the watch)). Lovely engraving. A minor joy to behold.

Edited by yokel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

damage they pick up

Inevitable really  --  you tend to protect the other side of your wrist.

52 minutes ago, yokel said:

As a person of the "elderly persuasion",   --  meaning I have time to do some silly things..

We have special dispensation, Sir.

Along with certificates to support this. :yes:

I'll join in with a few...

Generally impressed with most of CW straps/bracelets.

Push button deployant...

5188D5o.jpg

1e80gX5.jpg

9Gw2927.jpg

9YY8qcN.jpg

Buy quite a few of their leather bands for fitting to other timepieces, good value, IMO.

Flip clasp deployant...

fXMzdMW.jpg

4WJUyX0.jpg

Butterfly deployant...

qM1FnmA.jpg

An iconic design & a delight to use...

BONKLIP...

OPVr3z7.jpg

Expandable anyone...

EZoR2fx.jpg

:biggrin:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Expandable anyone...

Oh definitely, and the £8 ones are surprisingly adequate, and before someone decries them for ripping the watch lugs, a simple leather spacer stops that. :yes:

Worst deployant ever, comes courtesy of Tissot. Personally I prefer fold over butterfly clasps, rather than things with push buttons. Two favourite  bracelets; Oris Big Crown, and Tudor Black Bay 36. I have a particularly dislike for monster "pre V " buckles. Hamilton's always come with decent no nonsense buckles as per Stowa, and Nomos. Perfectly adequate for purpose. 

5 hours ago, yokel said:

here goes . . . . . . . .

1/10 (appalling)

7ppVSHY.jpg

A horrible piece of pressed steel. Flimsy and rickety. If this cost more than a penny or two to make they haven't got their processes under control.

Agreed, but has it ever failed ?

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Agreed, but has it ever failed ?

Not in the sense of it having parted and actually fallen off the wrist. 

It does go through phases of unclipping itself and trying to gain freedom by sliding over my hand  --  until I spend time bending the components back into an interference fit.

It's an "it'll do" solution. Fine if the watch cost £44.50.

15 minutes ago, yokel said:

Fine if the watch cost £44.50.

Not even fine for that. My Explorer clasp is of similar quality. Mind you, my previous one had a really bad "hair nipper" folded bracelet.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nick67+1 said:

My Raymond Weil drives me nuts. The RW logo has to overlap and it’s on the side that I naturally close first on all other watches.

You could always turn the bracelet round.

Often do this, particularly with leather bands, so the watch head sits more comfortably.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Karrusel said:

You could always turn the bracelet round.

Often do this, particularly with leather bands, so the watch head sits more comfortably.

:thumbsup:

Sometimes I really am a little dim! :biggrin:

• Haha 1