• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
johnberman

Longcase Clock Movement, 8 Day C1760, Jos Vale, Walsall

Hi

Quite new to this and looking for some help and pointers

After successfully repairing a Jerome Clock (which now runs a treat) I have got hold of a Longcase Clock Movement, 8 Day C1760, Jos Vale, Walsall

I have mounted it in the case and now need 3 things (I think)

A bell as that’s missing

A pendulum - really need help here as there seem to be so many variety’s around

Weights - research suggest that many of these older movements require 3 weights, mine clearly needs just the 2 but what weight the weight should be I have no idea

I have added some pics

Is there anywhere online I can see how the weights attach ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

John B

IMG_9277.jpg

IMG_9276.jpg

IMG_9275.jpg

2x Cast Iron weights, ideally 12 pounds in weight but some are up to 16 pounds. The weights should have hooks attached to the top of them witch hook onto the steel loops on the pullies. The gut-line loops around the brass pulley.

The weights usually have a couple of 'S' hooks that fit through a staple or loop on the top of the weight, then hooks onto the loop on the pulley as Simon2 said. On this Richard Winch clock of mine, the strike train weight is the left one and weighs 13.5lb, the going train weight is on the right and weighs 11lb. These weights are made of lead.

Grandfather Clock

Grandfather Clock

It's a fairly standard movement I believe...

Grandfather clock.

Grandfather clock.

Thanks for the help weights have arrived and they are now on - so far so good

if you look at my very first image and zoom in the hammer which is supposed to strike the bell - if with the weights on I turn the hand whilst the striker moves it does not seem to move forward enough to hit the bell - its a long way off - I feel there should be a spring or something ?

Looking around its hard to get a picture or video of one in action ?

Regards

John B