• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottswatches

battery for a accutron 214H

Just gone to order a spacer for a 394 cell from Cousins, and they are now obsolete.  Does anyone have any suggestions to replace the original 387 battery?

thanks

I have double checked and Cousins have the maxwell 394's but no mention of the spacer required.  I might order those and if needed turn a spacer on my lathe (I got for the lathe for the car, but thought it might come in handy)

10 minutes ago, John_D said:

Is THIS what you are after Scott?

Yes - thanks John.  Ordered the most expensive battery ever fitted to a watch!

Just now, scottswatches said:

Yes - thanks John.  Ordered the most expensive battery ever fitted to a watch!

Don't know about that Scott, THIS is the other alternative available....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

thanks

I have double checked and Cousins have the maxwell 394's but no mention of the spacer required.  I might order those and if needed turn a spacer on my lathe (I got for the lathe for the car, but thought it might come in handy)

Don't know if this may be of interest, but they're what I use in mine: https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_accucell1.htm

Regards.

• Like 1

Unless your Accutron is Phased to the lower voltage 1.35V Accucell I would stick with the 1.55V 387 or 394. The bottom line is you "MUST" use a spacer with either of those batteries in order for the battery compartment to be safe(not short out) and have that battery/spacer installed properly. The Accucells mentioned above generally have a much lower battery life (my personal experience from past trial and error) and command a much higher price and are used mainly in 214's that can't operate properly with a 1.55 V battery of the 387/394. Although this general comment but not a 100% deal breaker, the Accucells are generally used for people that haven't had a watch serviced and phased to the higher 1.55V useing the 387 or 394 battery. Or the Accucells are used by a couple known repair agents that are either ill-informed or lazy to phase the watch to the higher 1.55V 387 or 394. 99% of 214 accutrons can be phased to run the 387/394 batteries just fine and that battery will not damage the circuity.  I view the Accucell as a band-aid  So you really need to keep a spare or two of the MUST have spacers and then later buy the much cheaper 387 without the spacer or the very commonly purchased 394 without spacer. I have nothing but  394's in all my 30+ accutrons. I install nothing else and they all run great. I have about 30+ spacers as spares so its really about buying a cost effective 394 battery when its time to refill my stock. You have spacers and you have a 387/394 battery, then you are set. 

This is an in-depth look at batteries and phasing Q&A on the 214 movement.  Phasing 214's and Batteries Tech Link

• Thanks 1