• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Liddsvez

grandfathers fusee pocket watch

Hi All. My name is Steve and this is my 1st post here!

I have taken on the task of getting my grandfathers old pocketwatch working. It has been stored away and has not been working for at least 50 years.

I have stripped it down and have found 3 faults with the movement.

The main spring is broken. I have found a replacement for this.

The fusee chain is stiff and slightly rusty. What is the best way to clean and lubricate this chain?

Finally and probably the worst issue with the watch is the balance wheel is wobbly on closer examination it looks like the lower balance wheel jewel is missing. The top one looks to still be there but not sure on the condition. Replacing the jewels is clearly beyond my skill level. What would you guys recommend would be the next step?

I know it probably isn't a rare or valuable watch but if would be great to get it working so I could one day give it to my son.

Pictures are below.

Thanks!

20200617_15231320200617_15074720200617_15192720200617_15185520200617_15184420200617_151827

Hi Steve,

I can't see what is the condition of the stone, but it is clearly seen that down side pivot of balance staff is broken. So, You need somebody who is able to turn a new balancs staff.

On the other side of plate is the down side balance bridge. There are two stones on it - hole stone and end stone. The end stone is in a small plate, shaped like a peg. Shift it and it will go out, then You will be able to see the hole stone.

Thanks so much for your reply. I see what you mean about the broken pivot. I will have a think but maybe due to the cost of making a new staff it won't be worth repairing.

Thanks again