• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Biker

Doing a spot of decking..

A few days of back breaking graft...

Donor site..

DSCF4298.JPG

Initial layout

DSCF4299.JPG

More layout

DSCF4303.JPG

Post holes

DSCF4306.JPG

Pergola posts in

DSCF4348.JPG

More framing

DSCF4350.JPG

Framework finished

DSCF4351.JPG

DSCF4352.JPG

DSCF4356.JPG

• Like 6

Looking good thus far, how old is the house?

Looking good, Buster...from the look of the superstructure, it looks an interesting shape... As an ex-landscaper, I'd be interested to know what are you're standing the uprights on? Concrete pads, (ie. dig the hole and fill it with concrete)  or ready made concrete blocks? The latter was a method I used most of my landscaping career. Take a standard 9" X 18" x 4" concrete block and split it in half to give two 9" x 9" x 4" blocks...then dig your hole and put one on top of the other to give you a 9" x 9" x 8" pad...saves a lot of knocking up concrete and waiting for it to dry... I made my own deck like this 25 years ago, and it's still as good as new. I'll post a pic tomorrow! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Hayballs said:

How's your back? 

Ferkin agony, however it is being fortified by red wine and bloody mindedness..

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Looking good thus far, how old is the house?

The original part (to the left in white) is 1756, the bit I live in, (the stone bit directly behind) was a 2 bedroom extension built in (approx) 1850.

There is tons of local history attached, one of the previous owners was a personal friend of George Washington, all to do with tobacco and the cessation, unfortunately I can't remember all the details

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Looking good, Buster...from the look of the superstructure, it looks an interesting shape... As an ex-landscaper, I'd be interested to know what are you're standing the uprights on? Concrete pads, (ie. dig the hole and fill it with concrete)  or ready made concrete blocks? The latter was a method I used most of my landscaping career. Take a standard 9" X 18" x 4" concrete block and split it in half to give two 9" x 9" x 4" blocks...then dig your hole and put one on top of the other to give you a 9" x 9" x 8" pad...saves a lot of knocking up concrete and waiting for it to dry... I made my own deck like this 25 years ago, and it's still as good as new. I'll post a pic tomorrow! :thumbsup:

No, I dug the holes out to 300mm deep 150-200mm wide, then a wee spot of postcrete underneath, then postcrete up to ground level.  I did put in more posts than recommended but better safe than sorry.

Swinging those bags of postcrete around is seriously painful, 11 bags of the stuff -so far!

We still have a wee bit of turf to dig out as I want all of the support rails to be clear of the earth - bugger!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hats off to you min.

Did the frame come cut to size/shape and you bolted it together....?

Have to say, that is my gardening nightmare. I cut the grass and keep the hedge tidy. Mrs H looks after the plants and pots. I'll dig out a pic.

No, I bought 'kits' one kit was 3x4.2m one was 3x4.8m, then just used all the supplied timber to design my own frame, I didn't want just a standard square patch as I wanted to use all of the enclosed area up to the hedges.  Hopefully the two outer edges will end up as curves but I haven't figured that bit out yet.

Still waiting on the pegs for the weed control fabric.

• Like 1

I would like to see more pictures of the house, I love architecture from all periods, even our modern energy saving builds.

I would not wish to intrude on your privacy, of course, share what you  feel comfortable with.

Your house looks like it`s made from stone and cast brick?

• Like 1

This place was a mess when we moved in, the stone part where we live has been split, into two flats upper and lower, I was going to buy both halves but I would have had no money left to do anything with it, so I plumped for the upper flat as it had 3 bedrooms and loft access, which I am in the process of turning into more rooms (too warm for any of that nonsense just now).

I have done significant work and continue to do so in here, however, it is worth it as I love big airy rooms, loads of space spectacular views and loads of garden and I bought it for not that much money back in 1996.

I think it is cast and cut sandstone, and the walls are about 18" (45cm) thick, but we do have a problem with porosity on the face that looks into the prevailing winds, the winds literally blow the heavy rain through the stone, we need to get it sprayed every few years.

I have also re-instated one of the open fires in the living room (which used to be the library - we think) and absolutely love it, I'll get some pictures sorted out, we don't know the exact age of the building but it looks typically mid-Victorian and is almost identical to one a mile away that was built 1840-1850.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Original part of the house, started life as a Farmhouse in 1756, with the Extension front door in black, when the extension was complete the original house became the staff quarters.

20200620_174520.jpg

Edited by Biker
  • Like 1

This part was the mid-19th century extension, downstairs was the two drawing rooms (winter and summer, with a huge retracting pocket door that opens it up to a ballroom and the dining room.

on the first picture the lower left window was the winter drawing room the lower centre was the summer drawing room and the window to the right was the dining room.

the upstairs left was bedroom one (now our spare room, I had split it into three rooms at one point to accomodate the children but they have grown up and left now, it is now back to one room but I have split a wee bit off and built a stairway to loft)., the centre was the library (I think) (now our living room) and the right hand window was bedroom two Now our bedroom.

The two dressing rooms have become our bathroom and an office/spare bedroom with a foldaway double bed.

All the timber on the ground is decking material, it's not a builders yard honest!

20200620_174130.jpg

20200620_174156.jpg

I really must get that BT cable refixed!

House is a bit of a riot at the moment, spending all the time working outside or up in the loft so there's 'guff' lying about everywhere.

Living room

20200620_190131.jpg

20200620_190145.jpg

Hallway, part of which was the space where the original staircase was, the stone mullions are where the original picture was, this was closed off in 1901 when a bathreoom was first built on to the back of the house, which is now my kitchen, I opened the wall up to build a staircase up as the hall was originally on 2 levels (a cheap conversion job was done in the 1970's)  I had to bring the lower level up about 2 feet to meet with the original landing and have a level useable space.

The New York picture behind the dining room table has been taken down to access a bit of wall damage from a roof leak over the winter - more DIY .. Oh Joy!

Lovely big cupola window in the ceiling, that was originally to light the staircase

20200620_190155.jpg

20200620_190159.jpg

20200620_190207.jpg

Looking towards the living room

20200620_190411.jpg

'Erself's office, with the foldaway bed and walk in wardrobe (my toybox and kilt room).  This was originally the dressing room for the smaller of the two original bedrooms

20200620_190246.jpg

20200620_190254.jpg

The spare room (a total riot as it is currently a dumping ground because of the loft work)

20200620_190313.jpg

A pretty bad shot of the bathroom, 'Erself was in the bath at the time, the bath is through the doorway on the right hand side I boxed off a section of our bedroom and built a bath in the box as there was no way of extending the room properly and I wanted a separate shower and bath it has worked well though and everyone loves the bath, I only like it when she's in it...:naughty:

20200620_190221.thumb.jpg.31b877848c8c83415d080eae1046ec56.jpg

• Thanks 1

Our bedroom is not being featured as it looks like a clothes bomb has gone off in there and there are dead clothes strewn everywhere.

This is the rain leak damage in the hall, I hate decorating too!

20200620_205442.jpg

• Like 1

That looks a splendid work in progress, you have a fine home with much potential. Keep at it, it will be worth the effort. imho.:wink:

• Thanks 1

Potential!?!?!

I thought I had finished....

Not in my lifetime.. *Sigh*

very good show!  Bad Backs;  in my younger years,   i did some building and remodeling.  caring 50 pound sacks of concret mix, roof shingles or dog food.. the key to "retired guy building" is excercize !!  i also take 500  miligams ot Turmic every morning.  vin

• Like 1

Bathroom, which was originally the dressing room for our bedroom.

20200621_163645.jpg

20200621_163657.jpg

12 hours ago, vinn said:

very good show!  Bad Backs;  in my younger years,   i did some building and remodeling.  caring 50 pound sacks of concret mix, roof shingles or dog food.. the key to "retired guy building" is excercize !!  i also take 500  miligams ot Turmic every morning.  vin

Does turmeric actually help with anything?

1 hour ago, Biker said:

It’s good at staining things yellow...

and an anti-inflammatory. 

Edited by DJJazzyJeff
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biker said:

Big M always jumps feet first into the hype over these sort of things mainly because some Facetw@tter said so but I’m a complete cynic.

I suppose you could always get it administered for a fiver a pop at your local Starbucks 

Let me know how you get on

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/turmeric-health-trend-fad-truth-benefits-curcumin-latte-curry-a8223216.html%3famp

Not something I’ve much interest in but nevertheless nice house by the way

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Not something I’ve much interest in but nevertheless nice house by the way

:thumbsup:

Cheers!

BTW turmeric is GREAT in curries, it also brings out the complex flavours in lager...:laughing2dw:

Edited by Biker
  • Haha 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:10, DJJazzyJeff said:

It’s good at staining things yellow...

and an anti-inflammatory. 

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 08:46, Biker said:

Bathroom, which was originally the dressing room for our bedroom.

20200621_163645.jpg

20200621_163657.jpg

yes ---  i used to take ibroprofin after hard work.   it has reduced taking that about 90% with the same hard work.   Dr.  vin

4 minutes ago, vinn said:

yes ---  i used to take ibroprofin after hard work.   it has reduced taking that about 90% with the same hard work.   Dr.  vin

by the way,   i havent tried it with Takila or Scotch  or beer.

• Like 1

Still waiting for the weed control fabric pegs, holding me up now..:angry:

There really isn't much left to do but I can't peg the weed control fabric down without the blasted pegs

Totes frustrated