• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Biker

Doing a spot of decking..

Real "through the keyhole" stuff.:laugh:

Lovely house, dear @Biker, just make sure you don't kill yourself with doing it up before you get to enjoy the fruits of your hard labour.:)

7 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Real "through the keyhole" stuff.:laugh:

Lovely house, dear @Biker, just make sure you don't kill yourself with doing it up before you get to enjoy the fruits of your hard labour.:)

Cheers, I am trying not to do myself in but on furlough, I can take my time.

• Like 1

Well managed to get back into it yesterday, I finally got some weed control fabric pegs and the sobering climate eased a wee bit so..

Got the weed control done3d4e13a2e02cde1ff9f54bdb63612644.jpg

Then got the first section laid out, 2 screws in each plank. Got to screw them down properly today, before I get into the two radii.e7b6c00f0b7dee7b90554c143498c350.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Da daaaaaaa.

I made a bit of an arsenal of the left hand radius. Bloody jigsaw was all over the place.. a wee rummage in the loft and I found a better, much better, blade, so the left hand radius is a thing to be proud of.

Just got to decide how to finish the pergola now.

Treating myself to a cheeky bottle of Chilean merlot

85089c93a8827856e56cce9e152c1ac5.jpg239aa84fc12b48541388e065d8e7deb1.jpg08a907b688e4e61d8a880ae02e2f35f0.jpg

.610b03f23dd617bf69ebc0179d62e09d.jpg238a8b97fa5cdb35c44c0709f9688285.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, thanks mate, well chuffed myself, never done anything like this before, we couldn't decide whether we preferred smooth or textured so Anne came up with the alternate plan, we both think it looks ace.

Going to use some Polyhemp to make trims around the base of the pergola uprights and I am thinking of running a rope 'bead' all the way around the decking plank edges.  I would prefer proper hemp or jute but I want the added rot protection.

Have also got a sail on order to use as an adjustable removable shade over the Pergola, when it's finished

• Like 2

I like the rope idea round the edges of the deck. When I made our deck nearly 20 years ago, I also wanted a look that was different to the normal 'floorboard' look, so went for a diagonal lay with a single plank border round the edges. This called for a slightly more complicated joist arrangement, but it worked out OK in the end. Also, because our garden slopes quite severely, although the joists at the back end are on the floor, by the time it got to 11 feet out, the edge was 18 inches off the ground, requiring steps up to it. The pergola over the BBQ area is fairly straightforward, and I added a couple of 'sunburst' panels to the front and a privacy trellis at the end. Although made of tanalised timber, it's treated every other year with a clear decking treatment, and jet washed every year before the start of the season. This has kept it looking like new. (Pics from pre-waterfall days, and the lighting has now been replaced with LED items)

The diagonal lay.

Decking.

Decking.

Steps up.

Decking.

Decorative panelling and trellis to the pergola.

Decking.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I like the rope idea round the edges of the deck. When I made our deck nearly 20 years ago, I also wanted a look that was different to the normal 'floorboard' look, so went for a diagonal lay with a single plank border round the edges. This called for a slightly more complicated joist arrangement, but it worked out OK in the end. Also, because our garden slopes quite severely, although the joists at the back end are on the floor, by the time it got to 11 feet out, the edge was 18 inches off the ground, requiring steps up to it. The pergola over the BBQ area is fairly straightforward, and I added a couple of 'sunburst' panels to the front and a privacy trellis at the end. Although made of tanalised timber, it's treated every other year with a clear decking treatment, and jet washed every year before the start of the season. This has kept it looking like new. (Pics from pre-waterfall days, and the lighting has now been replaced with LED items)

I like your diagonal layout, I did at one point consider laying it out in a fan to follow the lines of the two outer edges but as i have never done owt like this before, it could have ended up messy and expensive so I stuck to angles and shapes I knew I could cope with.

I might just plagiarise your pergola design as I haven't decided yet..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker said:

I might just plagiarise your pergola design as I haven't decided yet..

Please feel free...if you would like more pics or details, just ask. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Did you make the angle supports yourself?

Also what is the size of the timber battens used on the pergola?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Biker said:

Did you make the angle supports yourself?

Yep...made it all myself. The gallows brackets provide stability and prevent the structure moving either sideways or backwards and forwards. They are just pieces of 6"x2" cut on a chopsaw with 45o angles on each end. (You could use 4"x2" if you don't want the curly edge...the wider wood I used allows for the curly edge, but still retains a good width) They need to be long enough to provide stability, but not so long as to be obtrusive...ie you hit your head on them. To give them a bit of a decorative look, I traced a curly bracket design ( }) on the lower edge, cut with a jigsaw then used a router with an ogee cutter to form a smooth edge. You can make a cardboard template to do this, then they all look the same. They are screwed with 4" screws through the angle at each end. As added info, the joists are joined to the rails using halving joints, and I cut a 'oriental' shaped end to each one, again using a cardboard template to get them all the same. The edges of these were also trimmed with the router to neaten them. This end shape is obviously a personal touch, and they can be finished as you desire.

Gallows/diagonal brace.

large.20200705_153118.jpg.52e54078ff23209c639a1511bfc743d2.jpg

Screwed though this point with a 4" screw/coachscrew.

large.20200705_153127.jpg.3aec14da3e1d1480c4a2c2ce3ec6f55f.jpg

Joist fitted to rail with halving joint and screwed down from top with 4"screw.

large.20200705_153149.jpg.849ee93284ff77ef5de35290c690d834.jpg

'Oriental' shaped end...just my take. You can finish the ends as you wish.

large.20200705_153208.jpg.5aff20599f063618a05c64da605aa453.jpg

Just seen your last question. The uprights are 4"x4", the front rail and wall plate are 6"x2" and the joists are 5"x2". The length of the span will determine the width of the rail you need to prevent sagging. My BBQ pergola is only 10 feet across and I could get away with the measurments above. My other triangular pergola is just over 15 feet wide at the front and I used a 7"x2" for extra strength.

large.20200705_155627.jpg.f2a5b9a5e37f6a70761c3dc0eb950fc1.jpglarge.20200705_155649.jpg.3f6ec9c5471ff3142905acc430efeb31.jpg

Essentially, the wider the span, the deeper the rail needs to be. When cutting the halving joints, make sure they are a tight fit because if they are loose, the rail could still sag. In effect, in a halving joint, the piece you cut out of one rail is replaced by the timber in the crossing piece, so it needs to be tight. You should have to tap them together, not have a sliding fit. I've waffled on a bit, but hope this helps...if you need more, just shout. :thumbsup:

That's excellent info, thanks for that, I am considering getting 4x4 fenceposts to run all of the top rails and 6x2 for the pergola cross members.  I am thinking of using 4x4 to make the gallows brackets too but I'll not be shaping them, they are more for visual effect than structural assistance. I don't think I can imagine getting any sag even over a 3mtr span.  One of the pictures above shows one of the spare post sitting on top of the uprights, that was for planning/thinking purposes.

Still at the thinking stage really,

How do the bird boxes get on, do you not have 'Presents' everywhere.

Edited by Biker

It's only Blue Tits or Great Tits that use the boxes, and only one at a time as they are quite territorial. I've not noticed any of their 'presents', but the Wood pigeons are the worst. When they perch on the pergola and decide to let go it makes a real mess. Thankfully, my BB gun scares them off quite effectively. They also cr@p in the waterfall...I'm forever having to clean it out...filthy animals!

• Like 1

Finished planing the uprights from this..

DSCF4385.JPG

To this

DSCF4386.JPG

I think the front and rear cross members are gonna look awesome!

DSCF4387.JPG

Also took some branches off the walnut tree as they are crowding everything out..

DSCF4388.JPG

DSCF4389.JPG

DSCF4390.JPG

• Like 1

Finished the crossmembers and am delighted with them. Also took another couple of branches down.fa376e3587668da148972321136234e5.jpg92351cc19231901cf1ff5a5dd41a13a9.jpgd9ee7ca54a59f7608920680cad2a9cbd.jpg06e9732fff06cd225df879b8ddce1894.jpg

• Like 1

Pergola is up, finished and oiled (2 coats)

Now gonna set to on the ropework, did a wee spot of whipping, first time since 1978.  Not the best but I have got the wrong size twine, gonna stick with it though.

DSCF4394.JPG

DSCF4395.JPG

DSCF4396.JPG

DSCF4398.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biker said:

Pergola is up, finished and oiled (2 coats)

Now gonna set to on the ropework, did a wee spot of whipping, first time since 1978.  Not the best but I have got the wrong size twine, gonna stick with it though.

DSCF4394.JPG

DSCF4395.JPG

DSCF4396.JPG

DSCF4398.JPG

Superb pergola, chap...well done! Looks great!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Superb pergola, chap...well done! Looks great!

Why thank you Sir..

Finally got enough of a weather break to do the pergola footings.
Need to get a decent drift to bury the nail heads within the rope.

Typical though innit.. get this all done and the weather goes all instant winter!88731993a89d6358d989f2334a6dbc72.jpg5f467917643f232c64b23b16e4d985fe.jpg

• Like 1

Rope work, little “bridge wings” either side. Are you trying to build a skimmer? You need to get a binnacle and a chart table to complete the look. :laughing2dw:

But honestly cracking looking job matey, well done it looks the dogs danglies. :thumbsup: