• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
bridgeman

Matthey Doret transistor

I hate myself for sneaking quietly back in to this thread before it goes all necro on us, but it’s Sunday when all decent folks should be assiduously reading their Scriptures and not a watch forum, so hopefully no-one will notice. However, finding the attached image of a mechanical Swiss-made “Sheffield” diver-style on the UF and whose dial also shows an “S” logo, persuaded me to set out my understanding of the matter in the hope that it would help clarify my confusion. Incidentally, no details of the movement were given.

So. based on invaluable research by others:

In March 1969, the R. Matthey-Doret name is registered by Sheffield Watch of New York Inc. based in Fifth Avenue NY, for making and trading in watches, movements and “any timepiece”. To me, the term “making” is possibly poetic licence and that Fifth Avenue was more of an agent to deal with US enquiries. Whatever, the R M-D trademark expires 1989.

Robert M-D had previously registered the Reform brand in La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1962, a name which was also a 1933-registered brand of Junghans as well as of Schild, date unknown, but likely to be from the 1950s at least, judging by the examples illustrated in the advert so kindly supplied by @spinynorman.

The transfer of the horloges électriques Reform name by R. Matthey-Doret in 1975 was to an entity located at 26 Route des Bouronnes, Auvernier, Switzerland, wherein, according to Mr Google, now appears to reside (or formerly resided at least in 2014) Someco SA, makers of watch dials. 

March 1970, the German-sounding Sheffield Uhrenfabrik AG (aka Sheffield Fabrique d’Horologerie SA and Sheffield Watch Factory Ltd) registers the Wedgefield brand name in Muttenz, Switzerland, for making and selling mechanical, electric. electronic, divers, chronos, alarm etc , watches. The registering company went bust in 1972.

Thus, the following issues concerning these electronic watches still remain unclear to me, almost certainly because I’m stupid:

What’s the connection between the Sheffield Watch of New York Inc. of (presumably) the Matthey-Doret brand but without the “R”, and Sheffield Uhrenfabrik AG, registrants of the Wedgefield brand? Are these “Sheffield” companies one and the same, but styled differently by being in different countries? Certainly, both brands use the same Junghans movements, and are identical in size and style so perhaps the Matthey-Doret brand was reserved for the US with Wedgefield and Sheffield-branded watches being distributed from Muttenz.

Were all three brands made in Muttenz by Sheffield Uhrenfabrik AG from 1970 to 1972 and what, apart from the movements, was the connection with Junghans who not only made the movements, but also the example shown by @John_D ?

And I now hate myself even more, being acutely aware that none of this setting out has helped me whatsoever and has all been in vain.

Ho hum.

UF Sheffield v.2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Balaton1109 said:

What’s the connection between the Sheffield Watch of New York Inc. of (presumably) the Matthey-Doret brand but without the “R”, and Sheffield Uhrenfabrik AG, registrants of the Wedgefield brand? Are these “Sheffield” companies one and the same, but styled differently by being in different countries? Certainly, both brands use the same Junghans movements, and are identical in size and style so perhaps the Matthey-Doret brand was reserved for the US with Wedgefield and Sheffield-branded watches being distributed from Muttenz.

Haha. I can answer this question now.

L'Impartial 15th June 1971
"The 142 people employed by Sheffield Watch Inc. in Muttenz, near Basel, await with some apprehension the end of the week. It is indeed on June 18 that their fate will be fixed in ... New York, during the meeting of creditors of the Sheffield Watch Corporation, majority owner of Sheffield Inc. Switzerland."

This was clearly a big story in Switzerland. Sadly it throws no light on Matthey-Doret, so I'll post the articles in another thread. However, there was one small piece on the launch of Sheffield's electronic watch on the US market.

L'Impartial 29th Nov 1967
"New electronic watch on the market: Sheffield Watch Corp. announces that they have developed a electronic watch representing considerable progress in the technical and price fields: a men's model with 17 rubies will be sold, in limited quantities between now and the end of the year, for 50 dollars. So far only the Bulova and Longines firms produce electronic watches which are sold in the United States for a minimum of 125 dollars. The new Sheffield Watch, which is made in Europe, is powered by a mercury electric battery. Its accuracy is estimated at 99.9 percent."

• Like 2