• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jamesth

Very stubborn watch back

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post or who Simon is to that matter as this is my first time pairing but hoped Simon could help.

I am simply trying to reinsert a clip watch back and it just won’t go in. I have tried using a watch press, after trying with a clamp, but nothing. I have broken the crystal in the mean time and am awaiting a new one of those but still the back does not go in. I have checked online and it appears to be the correct one in every way.

The watch is an Armani Exchange AX2084.

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

James

If all proprietary case back openers have failed this may be your best option...

14mm nut (other sizes available :biggrin:) super-glued to case back, both must be clean!...

KL61o3f.jpg

Leave to set, then remove with suitable spanner or socket.

Place case back in some acetone to soak & nut will fall off...

IsBMlCJ.jpg

Job's a good 'un, no additional marks left on case back.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Apologies!

Disregard the above, have misread/understood your question...:wheelchair:

It would appear you may be using the incorrect die that should be fitting on just the bezel ?

:thumbsup:

p.s.

You can keep the other info for future reference...

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Karrusel... The die you use with a case press must fit to the bezel & not touch the crystal.

Just a heads up - many case backs have a notch on the inside rim that must be lined up over the winding stem when re-installing the back...

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advise but unfortunately the notch is line up with the stem and the die is not touching the crystal. I have never known anything like it. It is like the case back is made of some alien metal that will not give enough to clip in.

Very strange.

Thanks anyway

James

I find the screw down case back tools, like robur give you better control than the lever type.  I snapped a die on one of the press type and crushed a watch once :jawdrop1:

I agree with Scott...a screw press gives you much more control over the pressure being applied. Would taking a fine file and making a small chamfer on the leading/outer edge of the caseback rim help it to slide in?

Horotec case/crystal press

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I agree with Scott...a screw press gives you much more control over the pressure being applied. Would taking a fine file and making a small chamfer on the leading/outer edge of the caseback rim help it to slide in?

Horotec case/crystal press

Great advice as always, just adding to the above, don’t be tempted to buy the cheap Chinese equivalent, there’s a vast difference in cost but unfortunately also in quality, the Chinese ones bend under the slightest strain and are therefore useless 

• Like 1