• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Wheelnut69

Smiths Bakelite

Accidentally bought this today :)

E8BFC9A4-B216-4DB3-A0EF-5B5B76725639.jpg

8BCC4586-2C7E-4670-B3D0-3DFA565FD18F.jpg

I think I quite like it. It has a nice character. Think it’s around 1955 to 1960?

The strike is fairly quiet but has a lovely tone. 

Edited by Wheelnut69

1 hour ago, Dell said:

Nice clock how can you accidentally buy a clock ?

Dell

Went in to buy a Rupert the Bear, and came out with Rupert and a clock. :)

• Haha 1

Dear @Wheelnut69, you might like to read an interesting piece about Smiths Enfield online: warboysantiques.co.uk/makers/enfield-clock-company-ltd-smiths-enfield.

I would actually date your clock to the late 1940s/early1950s rather than 1955-60.:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Dear @Wheelnut69, you might like to read an interesting piece about Smiths Enfield online: warboysantiques.co.uk/makers/enfield-clock-company-ltd-smiths-enfield.

I would actually date your clock to the late 1940s/early1950s rather than 1955-60.:)

Thank you for the article link - interesting stuff.

I took my date estimate from here http://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/SMITHS/sm-quick guide.htm

• Like 1

I have had a look at the link you give, @Wheelnut69, and there would seem to be no contradiction between the dating on the link and my own dating of your clock; it is really just a matter of estimating where on the timeline of "Smiths Enfield" clocks your particular example fits. Without an exact date on that timeline, things such as style, materials, and typeface of marks need to be looked at - hence my own estimation.:)

• Like 1

Well, I quite like the little Smiths. I was perusing EvilBay last night and seem to have bought another one. This time a chiming one. This is starting to become a habit :(

Will post some pics when it arrives. :)

Edited by Wheelnut69
  • Like 1

I have a couple of smiths clocks ( Westminster chime) a couple of Kinzle an American 30 hour ( that was my dads ) and about 20 torsion clocks, they are all pleasing in there own way, very addictive aren’t they.

Dell

• Like 1

Well this one has arrived. It's not in terrible condition but it's not brilliant either.

8645-D3-C7-FFD6-4292-82-E0-CDC6884-A3706

8FDBD43B-9DE2-4A70-8D7A-3C0753A2DADA.jpg

Problem is - it's not running. Ebay seller said it was so I'm hoping something got knocked in transit that's easy to fix. I did ask him to make sure the pendulum was removed and packed separately but he removed it, wrapped it then put it back in the back of the clock so it would have been bouncing around in there. :(

If you manually turn the hands it chimes and strikes fine, but if you set the pendulum away it doesn't tick and doesn't 'catch' and keep going. 

Anyone any ideas?

2 hours ago, Dell said:

I have a couple of smiths clocks ( Westminster chime) a couple of Kinzle an American 30 hour ( that was my dads ) and about 20 torsion clocks, they are all pleasing in there own way, very addictive aren’t they.

Dell

They are - tbh, I'm starting to like them more than watches.

• Like 1

Being an old man with gout in both hands I find them reasonably easy to work on although I have a bit of trouble with the midget torsion clocks but I won’t give in.
8C0AE3AD-09AB-46CD-AC44-4317B905A558.thumb.jpeg.ce5e1f827b1864b8263ac77c52af1301.jpeg3B49726A-0660-4F69-938B-75BD71D37C1B.thumb.jpeg.8b86ef08892b028e30a620e1eb86c1b9.jpeg

Dell

Hi Wheelnut69 

its probably been knocked out of beat, lift one side of the clock a bit and see if it will run if not lift other side and see if it will run one side or the other post back and I will tell you how to get it in beat, that is the most probable thing so try that first.

Dell

• Like 1

Clocks are very addictive and I did start to build up a collection but soon gave up. There are two problems with clock collecting as far as I am concerned; the space needed to house them and the incessant sound of chimes from those clocks that just can't keep quiet. :laugh:

I like the movement of your recent chiming acquisition, dear Wheelnut, almost more than I like the clock itself - I do hope you manage to get it going. I, like Dell, thought the problem would be solved by getting the clock back in beat. :)

• Like 1

This may sound like a silly question but you have the springs all have tension?

The next thing to try is remove hands and movement out of case and check to see if escape wheel drops when you rock the hanger as if it was the pendulum doing it, let me know and we will go from there.

always”watching

you don’t have to have the chimes working I have two Westminster chime and one American that I just have time working.

Dell

• Like 1

I have this pair of alarm* clocks from the mid/late 1930s, both are still going strong & keeping great time...

610689983_ServicesExelForeign(possiblymadebyThielBros.Germany)circamidlate1930s2.gif.00bd69aa75738263c585ed5c176b559e.gif

967183736_ServicesCallerForeign(possiblymadebyThielBrosofThuringiaGermany)circamid1930s..thumb.jpg.d16cf3c0559ad75f7ee55ad9aa710717.jpg

Servicescirca1937_0016.thumb.jpg.612428418e2bf1293befd8fdf9a9f58a.jpg

They were made for "Services" by Theil Brothers of Thuringia Germany, btw, I daren`t use the alarms as I don`t want to disturb the neighbours or set off any seismometers  :nono: :biggrin:

The old chap I bought my Reliant from - 12 years ago now - had a thing for clocks. One of the rooms in his house - the one I went in to sign the papers - was given over to them entirely, they were everywhere (walls, floor, tables, every available surface - quite impressive really) & all were running. It wasn't the quietest place I've been in. 

He also had an alloy bodied Austin 7 racer - not road legal - which was basically a tin bath on pram wheels. He said it'd do 90mph :jawdrop1:...........................which must have been quite scary!

I like a good clock but sort of hope I don't get into them as much as I have watches! I don't think the postal system & vintage/delicate machinery are a good mix - hope you can get it going again :thumbs_up: