Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

Benzinger research is getting more interesting. Turns out that Jochen Benzinger is one of the German industry's premier engravers. He works with major brands, and also with smaller ones like AEther, as well as crafting a few of his own. The example I show above is his work for AEther, on a watch costing around €3500. What he does to the 6498 (same movement as @JoT's Waltham) when working to his own account looks like this . . . .

tM7rlUt.jpg

Will power might be fading :rolleyes:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yokel said:

 

Will power might be fading :rolleyes:


:watch:

Feels like sharing a loved ones journey through IVF...

 

:tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Karrusel said:


:watch:

Feels like sharing a loved ones journey through IVF...

 

:tongue:

Sorry Alan, but with a very few exceptions (the Moser in fifteen minutes) the gestation period of my purchases tends to be weeks. I enjoy the hunt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, yokel said:

I enjoy the hunt.


Agreed, all part of, what hopefully will be, a pleasurable journey.

Do not doubt you will exercise all due diligence.

 

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Karrusel said:


Agreed, all part of, what hopefully will be, a pleasurable journey.

Do not doubt you will exercise all due diligence.

 

:thumbsup:

Just spoken at some length with Herrn Jochen Benzinger  --  and remain impressed. 

Onwards . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK  --  with uncharacteristic alacrity, I have taken a decision.

With due thanks and acknowledgement to @WRENCH for the suggestion I have ordered this . . . . . .

1GcKm0m.jpg

tOCpKYi.jpg

This could be described as a "mildly modified" Unitas 6498.

 

Will, of course, report on the unboxing.

 

 

However, in my research, two other models came up which will definitely be in the hat next time around (which, as this one is well under budget, may not be too far away :yes: ):

Czapek "Quai des Bergues" (thanks to @Karrusel for confirmation and encouragement) . . . .

o2yAT5X.jpg

pIF8Et4.jpg

And, found by me with a little help from Uhrforum.de  --  and a little bit further up-market . . . . .

ZvnIhtq.jpg

EFoC3qz.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Journe and Moser are definitely a bit of you. 

I know you aren't massive on PP but there's got to be a calatrava with your name on it. 

Now, neither recommending nor discouraging a few brands that might fit your criteria...   Maurice Grozmann, Ulysse Nardin,  Breguet, Girard Perrigaux, Habring, Parmigianni, piaget, L. Leroy. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, yokel said:

Czapek "Quai des Bergues"......

o2yAT5X.jpg




 

                                                                                              :yes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 09:38, yokel said:

Is the length of time elapsed since my last watch purchase :huh:

So, I am feeling the itch.

Many of the more experienced sages of this forum have been very useful in advising me in the past (including, but certainly not limited to @Karrusel, @WRENCH, @scottswatches, @AVO, @JonnyOldBoy, @martinzx, @Daveyboyz), and now I could do with my horizons widened again.

The problem is that I have developed rather specialised tastes. The only “themed” watches which interest me at all are marine (and perhaps pilot) styles. Chronographs are also not my thing.

I don’t like to buy any watch if there are likely to be more than two in my county. Mechanical is sine qua non, as is a display case-back  —  and I have a preference for hand wound. And, to make matters worse, I don’t personally find attractive any watch which looks as though it’s creator thought he was designing a knuckle-duster (or a port-hole, looking at you Gérald Genta).

40-42mm diameter is my “sweet spot”, 39-43mm is OK.

I would love to get my hands on a Journe (but am much too mean to pay the prices). I don’t have a Lange, but have yet to find one which stirs my soul. I could clearly go again with the brands I know I love (MG, GO, HMC, Dornblüth), but I already have more than half my collection from those marques.

Where else should such a tediously picky swine be looking please? Czapek? Garrick?

Budget ideally <£12k, but could stretch for something really nice.

Love a little serious advice.

But, no, it won’t be a G-Shock or a TWS this time.

Hiya matey. This is why i came back on the forum. I could see my input would be useful and missed. I see im a bit late and in reality you didnt need me, i was going to suggest the one that youve chosen see. I could have saved everyone a bit of time getting there i guess. It was on the tip of my tongue 2 minutes after you posted. Any way. What to spend the remainder on. That is the important thing. If it was me id forget big dobber ones and get a Cartier 1917. Tiny and old but i love them. If you can get the thin one in the JLC case. About 8 grand i think. Which means im still 7800 short when i sell my old seiko. Any way well done in your choice your taste is just like mine. 

This is what i was thinking of but ive seen them cheaper too.

 

https://www.watchclub.com/cartier/tank-normale/vintage-yellow-gold-year-1982

15 hours ago, yokel said:

OK  --  with uncharacteristic alacrity, I have taken a decision.

With due thanks and acknowledgement to @WRENCH for the suggestion I have ordered this . . . . . .

1GcKm0m.jpg

tOCpKYi.jpg

This could be described as a "mildly modified" Unitas 6498.

 

Will, of course, report on the unboxing.

 

 

However, in my research, two other models came up which will definitely be in the hat next time around (which, as this one is well under budget, may not be too far away :yes: ):

Czapek "Quai des Bergues" (thanks to @Karrusel for confirmation and encouragement) . . . .

o2yAT5X.jpg

pIF8Et4.jpg

And, found by me with a little help from Uhrforum.de  --  and a little bit further up-market . . . . .

ZvnIhtq.jpg

EFoC3qz.jpg

 

 

I can see now why you dont think much of your rolex. Has bond seen these. In all fairness after seeing those movements the one in my seiko is a bit of a let down to. Nope they are a cut above. Ive been painting. A bit like Churchill when he retired. But my painting was emulsioning the garage posts. Gone rotten see. Im sending the old ones up to @BondandBigM for his bbq this aft. Ignore the hedge hog it is Tanyas. 

1593079955880327811087.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, yokel said:

Will, of course, report on the unboxing.

Looking forward to it. :) :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2020 at 10:58, Nigelp said:

 

I can see now why you dont think much of your rolex. Has bond seen these.  
 

@BondandBigM for his bbq this aft. Ignore the hedge hog it is Tanyas. 

 

So here’s the deal

Much as I admire the aforementioned, not only the superb workmanship but the general look they are a bit to delicate for me.

Where as most stainless Rolex suit my character better, all be it at a price these days they do exactly what it says on the tin, tough as all boots, can take a bit of rough and tumble and still shine when you are suited and booted at the Black Jack tables. 
 

Horses for courses 

50047753302_48b8687407_b.jpg

 

:)

And don’t go out of the way with the wood, I’ve just been pierced in the ankle by a big nail while breaking up a pallet for tonight’s fire, my calf and foot feel a bit funny so I’ll probably be dead by Monday 
 

50047045158_8895e41eb2_b.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

So here’s the deal

Much as I admire the aforementioned, not only the superb workmanship but the general look they are a bit to delicate for me.

Where as most stainless Rolex suit my character better, all be it at a price these days they do exactly what it says on the tin, tough as all boots, can take a bit of rough and tumble and still shine when you are suited and booted at the Black Jack tables. 
 

Horses for courses 

50047753302_48b8687407_b.jpg

 

:)

And don’t go out of the way with the wood, I’ve just been pierced in the ankle by a big nail while breaking up a pallet for tonight’s fire, my calf and foot feel a bit funny so I’ll probably be dead by Monday 
 

50047045158_8895e41eb2_b.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Let me get this straight.

I have nothing against Rolex (or Omega, or Seiko), I just see them for what they are  --  robust pieces of machinery, industrially made in very large quantities. Clearly, there is a trade off between ruggedness and being made down to a cost, which is generally balanced well.

There is a reason why I always wear my DJ for skiing, shooting and motor sport  --  and it's the same reason why, when we holiday in the Kruger Park, I always rent a Hilux.

There is also a reason why I don't drive a Hilux in the UK, and why I rarely wear the DJ for activities unlikely to involve high impact. Most of the time, more delicate, and more luxurious offerings are just the ticket.

 

Skewered myself with a screwdriver (whilst not wearing a watch at all) a couple of days ago. Very painful (and bloody), so I sympathize. Hope it didn't impact on your enjoyment of the BBQ.

 

.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

So here’s the deal

Much as I admire the aforementioned, not only the superb workmanship but the general look they are a bit to delicate for me.

Where as most stainless Rolex suit my character better, all be it at a price these days they do exactly what it says on the tin, tough as all boots, can take a bit of rough and tumble and still shine when you are suited and booted at the Black Jack tables. 
 

Horses for courses 

50047753302_48b8687407_b.jpg

 

:)

And don’t go out of the way with the wood, I’ve just been pierced in the ankle by a big nail while breaking up a pallet for tonight’s fire, my calf and foot feel a bit funny so I’ll probably be dead by Monday 
 

50047045158_8895e41eb2_b.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

nasty i did the same with my wrist today ripping some old wood off the front of the garage to fix it up, yeh i know what you mean the subs a tool watch, and yes i would rather have it full stop. No arguments i just would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yokel said:

Let me get this straight.

I have nothing against Rolex (or Omega, or Seiko), I just see them for what they are  --  robust pieces of machinery, industrially made in very large quantities. Clearly, there is a trade off between ruggedness and being made down to a cost, which is generally balanced well.

There is a reason why I always wear my DJ for skiing, shooting and motor sport  --  and it's the same reason why, when we holiday in the Kruger Park, I always rent a Hilux.

There is also a reason why I don't drive a Hilux in the UK, and why I rarely wear the DJ for activities unlikely to involve high impact. Most of the time, more delicate, and more luxurious offerings are just the ticket.

 

Skewered myself with a screwdriver (whilst not wearing a watch at all) a couple of days ago. Very painful (and bloody), so I sympathize. Hope it didn't impact on your enjoyment of the BBQ.

 

.

You me and mrb can trade war wounds this was the garage fighting back. For a lawyer that is a mortal wound. If i get my hands dirty im told it could be a hospital job. And look ive got expandable foam residue that is stuck on. :(. It is just not cricket. 

1593200910078-993652209.jpg

1593200957554-27927415.jpg

On 23/06/2020 at 10:47, yokel said:

Benzinger research is getting more interesting. Turns out that Jochen Benzinger is one of the German industry's premier engravers. He works with major brands, and also with smaller ones like AEther, as well as crafting a few of his own. The example I show above is his work for AEther, on a watch costing around €3500. What he does to the 6498 (same movement as @JoT's Waltham) when working to his own account looks like this . . . .

tM7rlUt.jpg

Will power might be fading :rolleyes:

That is still the most beautiful thing ive seen all day. Who needs Scotland and Wales. With pointless pointy mountains when we can feast our eyes on a sight like that. Come on @BondandBigM. Show bigmaureen that and she will forget benidorm and english bars quicker than you can swig a san miguel  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should try stretching a bracelet over these 80f163619632dcf5220a36e40401204d.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

You should try stretching a bracelet over these 80f163619632dcf5220a36e40401204d.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooofff i once got one in the middle of my back in Romania in 1991. Friction burns due to over enthusiastic hotel maids. I was only 18. I should have known better and asked her for cotton sheets. Having it popped with a pin was horrid. 

Rob remember that lass? :biggrin:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Blimey, it's like Emergency Ward 10 in 'ere.

I don't think nurse Ratched was in that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

So here’s the deal

Much as I admire the aforementioned, not only the superb workmanship but the general look they are a bit to delicate for me.

Where as most stainless Rolex suit my character better, all be it at a price these days they do exactly what it says on the tin, tough as all boots, can take a bit of rough and tumble and still shine when you are suited and booted at the Black Jack tables. 
 

Horses for courses 

50047753302_48b8687407_b.jpg

 

:)

And don’t go out of the way with the wood, I’ve just been pierced in the ankle by a big nail while breaking up a pallet for tonight’s fire, my calf and foot feel a bit funny so I’ll probably be dead by Monday 
 

50047045158_8895e41eb2_b.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Grandad slippers:laugh:

14 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Blimey, it's like Emergency Ward 10 in 'ere.

Yep the op just got turned over. Open wallet surgery. :swoon:

 

If hed been a bit more patient and saved up he could have bought @BondandBigM's lv after furlough its coming up for sale. 

1 hour ago, mcb2007 said:

You should try stretching a bracelet over these 80f163619632dcf5220a36e40401204d.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go on rob what happened? Trigger finger mate? Need more lube on the cock. 

Its the old steel on the lock and load mate. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/BCrNo1xL7LqgkbyZ6

I blame them clay pigeons

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Grandad slippers:laugh:

Yep the op just got turned over. Open wallet surgery. :swoon:

 

If hed been a bit more patient and saved up he could have bought @BondandBigM's lv after furlough its coming up for sale. 

Go on rob what happened? Trigger finger mate? Need more lube on the cock. 

Its the old steel on the lock and load mate. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/BCrNo1xL7LqgkbyZ6

I blame them clay pigeons

I think it was the same hotel maid , proper rough hole :naughty:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

I think it was the same hotel maid , proper rough hole :naughty:

Im glad you broke her in for me i was only young then dad. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

Im glad you broke her in for me i was only young then dad. 

Glad to help sonny Jim :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...