• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
jizzle

Do you think Tag Heuer should split Heuer and Tag Heuer into separate brands?

Spilt Tag Heuer and Heuer into two brands?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tag Heuer and Heuer into two brands?

• Yes
    • No

Over the years I have admired many Tag Heuer / Heuer Watches, I love the classic designs of the 1960s/1970s there’s some fantastic pieces out there.

Today I have been admiring pictures of the Tag Heuer Carrera 160 - CBK221B

Then I was thinking, Tag never seem to be “proud”enough to put Tag on the watch, they always use the Heuer name, and also keep “recycling” ideas and designs. (There are a few exceptions, but generally they do stick to the Heuer name)

I think they should split the company into Tag Heuer and Heuer IMO!

What does everyone else think?

Great question and the answer is certainly YES from me.

Heuer certainly has stand alone brand potential and they have been missing a trick for sure in my opinion ... 

• Like 1

I suppose that the problem would be the assignation of purpose to each of the separate brands - presuming, of course, that parent ownership remains as it is now. I can see a position where TAG (Heuer) would be the go-to brand for more modern, technologically advanced, watches, while Heuer would solely be the repository of recycled classic watch models from the past updated for today's market. Good for TAG maybe but perhaps not such a good idea for Heuer.

• Like 1

They are part of LVMH - so really not sure what the Tag component is these days. 

I think - as so well stated above - the danger would be (if it isn't already) the Heuer name becomes over associated with the aforementioned samey looking re issues.

Re Tag, am not sure what they actually do - something aviation-esque ???

I like my Tag - the Heuer connection is of little interest to me tbh - sadly as a brand imho they are the watch one might buy whilst saving for a Rolex. I say that to point out they may be generally bought by folks who think Rolex is a statement piece. each to their own - I got some very nice t-shirts in the Matalan sale today 

• Like 2

I don't see the point, they are made in the same factory, some are signed Heuer and most are signed Tag Heuer

There are enough Heuer branded pieces in their heritage collections to satisfy those that want the old name.

The first "proper" watch I had was in the year 2000 when I bought a Heuer signed Carrera which, I believe, was the first time Tag Heuer resurrected the Heuer name

• Like 1

It’s already been explained by the previous CEO, old reissue watches that were under Heuer will retain the name new designs will use Tag Heuer.

1 hour ago, ZenArcade said:

It’s already been explained by the previous CEO, old reissue watches that were under Heuer will retain the name new designs will use Tag Heuer.

They also seem to do some heritage models with a Tag Heuer option, perhaps there are people who prefer the new, more recognisable, name

2 hours ago, JoT said:

They also seem to do some heritage models with a Tag Heuer option, perhaps there are people who prefer the new, more recognisable, name

I don’t know about more recent watches but his comment was (abbreviated obviously) that in the past old Heuer watches were reissued with Tag Heuer it would be like putting Tag Porsche or similar so from that point onwards if it was a reissue like the Monza or Autavia it would remain Heuer but all other line ups would retain the Tag Heuer.

Why not just ditch the Tag bit and make Heuer great again. 

• Like 1