• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Mel@TheChase

Longcase clock project- looking for some advice

Hi forum members,

I am new to the forum and have just purchased a longcase clock stamped Wright, It was listed as late 18th Century / early 19th with a moonface.. I have seen a clock in the Longcase Clocks book by Joanna Greenwood, page 17 that case an identical case , but different fretwork and finals listed as 1795 so the age maybe correct.although I cannot be sure teh movement is orginal to the case but hope that to be the case.

I purchased this as a bit of a project and something I could afford and look to get working over a period. The case is in great condition with only a small crack to the glass in the hood that Is not really that noticeable and I can live with, certainly for now.

However I have some problems with the movement and looking for some advice please on how easy they are to remeady before I look around to get a service.

These problems I am convinced were by someone moving with weights and pendulum in still attached.

1/ Broken gut on the right hand weight side

2/ Crutch snapped near the bottom

3/ The pendulum suspension spring has broken near the pin that hooking into the movement.

Another general question around cleaning. I would have no issues leaving the sliver dial as is but if there is a simple low risk cleaning procedure I really would appreciate a pointer.

Thanks in advance. I am not a experienced in clock repair but just a interest in getting something that has been around for a while the opportunity to to keep going and be appreciated.for many more years.

The gut lines are easy to replace, once the Clock is disassembled. The Crutch can be Brazed, and the suspension spring is an easy fix to. I'd leave the Dial , as is, perhaps a light clean with soapy watch.

Hope this helps. If you need any more help, just shout.

Regards Simon.

Thanks Simon ,

Really appreciate the feedback most helpful. Could I just ask a further couple more questions if you don't mind.

1/ When braising a new Crutch I intend to use all the existing wire ( I think most of original wire length is there but just a  bit bent and twisted that shoud straighten with care)  as I believe it looks to have broken not far from guide that the pendulum would reside in. Do i need to be concerned with the an exacti length as part of the repair ( adding the new length) . I should be there abouts but was not sure if there was any measurement that I need to concern myself with in doing the repair.

2/ The pendulem spring has broken just where the pin was located so I was considering going down another 5 mm , drilling and adding a new pin to fix it but again was not sure if that would be a legitimate method or I wopuld encounter  any obvious problem  when the clock is running in slightly shortening the suspension spring.

Really apprectae the initial feedback and look forward to craking on and getting it running.

Thanks again.

Mel

When I did the Grandfather clock project many years ago now, I also had a broken pendulum suspension spring. Although I never documented it, I made a new one out of the return spring from an old tape measure. These are made of blackened spring steel (be carefull opening the case) and are easy to cut to length and width with some tin snips. It can be drilled to fit a pin...make it an interferance fit. Here's the project if you would like to see it...it was my first ever attempt at such a project, but I have an engineering background, and recieved lots of help from another clock maker as you will see.

Is the range of adjustment on the pendulum, midway along it's thread? If so, small Millimetre 

alterations of the suspension spring length and the Crutch length can be compensated by dropping the regulating nut under the Pendulum Bob. 

Hope this helps.

Regards Simon.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 22:00, simon2 said:

Is the range of adjustment on the pendulum, midway along it's thread? If so, small Millimetre 

alterations of the suspension spring length and the Crutch length can be compensated by dropping the regulating nut under the Pendulum Bob. 

Hope this helps.

Regards Simon.

I had to do this after the threaded end of the pendulum shaft broke while in transport. Luckily, after rethreading the end of the shaft and extracting the broken bit from the rating flat that the bob sits on, I still had plenty of adjustment. That bit is documented in the Grandfather Clock Project featured in the post above...about halfway down page 3.

Thanks guys,

To your point Simon I have about 20mm free at the adjuster on the pendulum  to move down so plenty of scope if i initially try and retain the old spring with a new pin. Although the threated rod is well bent after the adjuster, I guess a little heat and a bit of care should help straighten that out . Otherwise plan B is drilling the retaining pin on the old spring and adding a  new one.

Rog, thanks v much for your feedback and project link which is great and will be a big help. I did a little engineering and a lot of welding many years back and pretty ok with DIY so hopping I can tackle these simple jobs and then reassess where I am once I have the clock running to a fashion. Love the Clingfilm tip for winding the gut on the barrel . it was something that I thought was going to be a bit of fun and games when I got the replacement length but will follow your lead.

Thanks guys and I know they may seem very basic questions and just gives me a bit of confidence to go away and tackle them.

I would share a few pictures but I do not have them hosted on any URL to link from at the moment.

Thanks again.

Mel

• Like 1