• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Your favourite watch patent?

Have a look on here:  .....

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/

My favourites so far are the combined watch and cigarette lighter,

image.thumb.png.9a9fccd8f7785a1d79f2201c61eb2f22.png

The tinder box watch ....   good for camping ....

First page clipping of GB362872 (A)

and erm, the combined watch and lipstick.  Not that I use lipstick.  Any more.  All that much ...

First page clipping of GB351922 (A)

Check a few out and post your favourite!

JJ

Edited by Jet Jetski

The 'tourbillon' escapement...developed around 1795 by French-Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Breguet and patented on June 26th, 1801. My personal favourite is the 'Gyro-tourbillon' developed by Jaeger-LeCoultre.

42 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

The 'tourbillon' escapement...developed around 1795 by French-Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Breguet and patented on June 26th, 1801. My personal favourite is the 'Gyro-tourbillon' developed by Jaeger-LeCoultre.

That's all very fine, but not going to help you in the zombie apocalypse when you have to take to the hills with only your watch!  You may know the time, but I'll be there putting my lipstick on and cooking my sausage.

Anyway, what's it for?  I can see the normal tourbillon being handy for pocket watches that would otherwise remain vertical and generally 12 at the top, but has this been invented because a normal tourbillon is supernumary to the complications required for wristwatches, which are worn in higgledy-piggledy orientations day and night anyway?  I suppose this would be the exact thing for my daughter who would, if possible, spend her whole whole life motionless watching Korean soap operas, but then time has no meaning for her anyway.

Here's the precursor to the 'perpetual calendar' watch ...  

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=8&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19191027&CC=GB&NR=134279A&KC=A

Edited by Jet Jetski

Edward T Oliveira\'s design for a date hat that would prevent boys asking a prospective date out if they are already spoken for (patent no 2749555, dated 12 June 1956). The hat displays the time and day of the girl\'s date and has a label that reads \"taken\"

weird-patents.jpg?w=480&f=f0908edad8df79

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is the precursor to the Seiko 'Levante' 24 hr watch, where effectively all the gearing is halved (or doubled) to slow down the motion and make the hour hand go round only once per day, the minute hand only once every two hours, and the second hand once every two minutes.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=10&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19210721&CC=GB&NR=166405A&KC=A

Although the Levante does not have a seconds hand.

No photo description available.

Disappointingly, the drawing from the patent shows a 12 hr dial, Duh!

image.thumb.png.54c434f1be7f16752d966568eb9f41e5.png

But the seconds hand is shown as taking 120 seconds to rotate.  Maybe he thought we should just have 12 'big' hours in a day, and every minute should become 120 seconds long?   I think that would have been a big ask!

This is a better dial from 1927, but should mid-day or midnight be at the top?

First page clipping of GB276213 (A)

I am going for mid-day at 12 like this patent, because that is when the sun is overhead, and therefore a better analogy, which is what analogue dials are all about.  So I am not for starting with Zero at the top either.  This is not the first patent to suggest shading the dial in this way - this was from 1906 and also anticipates a 24 hr dial - I guess Seiko wanted north at the top for their solar compass.

First page clipping of GB190609356 (A)

Edited by Jet Jetski

This should have had a watch attached.

Kh4SVdiOJWADe1B-l4FStRL4Uc5JtSZpGGB1STbV

Then it would have been perfect.

• Thanks 1

Do Bond watches with lasers count? :-p

In reality elegant solutions to specific problems that help the end user.

So for me the JLC Reverso....or Grand Seiko Spring Drive

Edited by WickerBill
  • Like 1