• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jersey1965

Tag - Love them or Hate them

For years I craved a Tag Heuer watch but due to the costs of normal life I could never justify spending the money on a hobby. Now in later life I have more disposable income an am fortunate to have built a collection to be happy with. As I got into the watch scene it was soon evident that Other brands out there far superior and I am lucky to own a couple from the likes of Omega and Breitling. I do still love a Tag and although they get a slating on this forum, I personally think they are a great brand and of a good quality. So here are mine, and would like to fill the other 2 spaces with a Monaco and an Autavia. Anyone else out there that appreciates the brand?

39203959-ED56-481D-BD91-8A9EA7903F35.jpeg

• Like 7

I have owned a TAG and loved it. My thoughts on the brand are balanced. Currently their watches in the mid ranges are stupidly over priced , best value is achieved at the top and entry. Build quality is fabulous although recently their polishing systems have meant that bracelets mark way too easily with "rubs" as opposed to scratches.

People who slag off TAG usually have never actually owned one.

To be fair mostly on here the gripes are about price , but you can always get 25% off a TAG new anyway so I never really understand the over the top negativity.

In their current range they have about a dozen watches I would buy and wear .... compare that to Breitling ( there are only about 6 of theirs I like at the moment , Omega ( about a dozen ) , Tudor ( none at the moment ) and Rolex ( one ).

So that summarises my outlook on the brand. Your choices are superb by the way , great examples. :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

Tag seem to have always struggled as a brand with identity, so I am no watch expert and the identity issue hasn’t been there fault, I don’t feel they have ever sat in appealing to set groups, early Tags and Heuer i feel people have respect for but the later tags don’t seem to have identity, sadly I feel they have primarily been aimed at a younger generation that either couldn’t afford them or those that could would buy more expensive brands. 

So in closing, being a non watch expert this has just been my opinion. Just never captured the imagination of an era other than the early days

I don’t mind them, I had a Carrera back in the day and at the time actually chose it over an Omega Speedy, it just felt like a better watch. Fit and finish was superb.

In case the Omega fan boys start foaming at the mouth I also bought a full size Planet Ocean at the same time which wasn’t a bad watch either.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think you should buy and wear whatever appears to you - and 's#d' everyone else's opinion.

As for my views on TAG, I've never owned one, and there's always been an alternative that has called to me more - but I do regret not buying the TAG cased RLT.

Enjoy you watches - we all have differing tastes - and that's a good thing :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

primarily been aimed at a younger generation

agreed - that is why I got my Tag at 30, all the chaps I knew with Rolexes were old duffers - Breitlings were too in your face - it was a gift anyway and although these 'better' brands are leaps and bounds in terms of price in front now, they were only a comparatively small step up in cost at that time and easily affordable in the context of the Tag 6000 watch I wanted (top of the range at the time), and still like.

If I had one watch this would be it, no doubt - I collect watches because I like them, not because I am looking for  'the watch' - this is it for me.

I even have a canvas print of it on my wall ....   !!!

pic2.thumb.jpg.26b14f02b7a8815e3342b3cf20145656.jpg

Honestly can't remember when I last changed the battery either, seems like I only changed it once or twice in 25 years!  I think I took it to a jeweller, but it seems like 15 years ago.  Only left the crown unscrewed once in 25 years (and apparently some people find the resulting patina on the lume appealing), but I suspect little fingers had been at work, so let's blame the kids lol

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I don’t mind them, I had a Carrera back in the day and at the time actually chose it over an Omega Speedy, it just felt like a better watch. Fit and finish was superb.

In case the Omega fan boys start foaming at the mouth I also bought a full size Planet Ocean at the same time which wasn’t a bad watch either.

Carrera and Speedies feel very different on the wrist .... I know a few people who have Carreras after initially going after a speedy... The Carrera that @Igerswis has ( I thin his mum got it for him I seem to remember ) is one of the best examples...

Speedie date and the 2016 Racings are still my favourites in that range and the only examples I would go for perhaps instead of the TAG ...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

In case the Omega fan boys start foaming at the mouth . . . . .

They won't.

That's one of the major reasons for preferring this forum to others (which, apparently, are available). The denizens of this place realize, by and large, that there is no "right answer" in general  --  there is only a right(ish) answer for each member  --  and even that will probably change over time.

Diversity of taste and style is to be encouraged. There is no such thing as a "horological heretic".

:bash:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first Tag was the Carrera bullhead (which ended my relationship with Goldsmiths for good!):

1bf262425ecc007388ef0898e3107c54.jpeg

Second was the Carrera Caliber 16 that was a gift from my mother when she went to Pakistan a few years ago:

37b02892e250b4541e40f2486de4eff2.jpeg

Third was my Monaco Gulf:

c8ee16d3663a08cef9495e778f15eae6.jpeg

It’s not my ‘go to’ brand; that goes to G Shocks or the Omega brand. But I’m glad I have these in the collection.

As with most brands, it’s not the actual brand that catches my attention but the specific model. Same goes for cars; a poverty spec BMW 2 series is just an affordable leasing option but a well spec’d M2 is on another level.

People hating the brand often haven’t even owned one which doesn’t make sense to me. Watches are not political or religious symbols; if you like w specific brand or model then good for you. If you hate one then ignore it and look for something else. Hublot also get a slaying on this forum at times and that’s owned by the same parent company. Don’t think many on here own a Hublot either.

• Like 4

First “luxury” brand I’d heard of when I was a kid and wanted one ever since. They make solid watches and to be honest it’s a bit of a myth that they get slated. Once I could afford a few hundred quid on a watch I bought this one then sold it. Then bought one back again! 
C98AB65E-CDDE-4D5B-8F14-31D5FCE9DA00.thumb.jpeg.ed4510544ccaf54df51ccc5b018511da.jpeg

I tried a Monaco on last year and was gutted because as soon as it was on my wrist I just couldn’t get away with so sadly handed it back :(

@Jersey1965 why not pick out a vintage Heuer :yes:

• Like 1

I like them.

I currently have 3...a Monaco. a Carrera and an Aquaracer..

Ive had a fair few more though.

im not too bothered what other people think of them T.B.H.   If I buy one, its with my money and to go on my wrist!

• Like 1

Have an F1 chrono - yes it’s probably not worth what it cost, but I like it and to be honest I’ve not seen any negativity towards TH on this forum, though obviously I’ve not been on for very long.

I wear watches that I like the look of and meet my needs - which this fits on both counts. Also when in the company of others (none of whom are fellow enthusiasts, mostly full time Fitbit wearers), this is the only one of my watches that gets noticed. 

49881985821_455304db04_b.jpg

• Like 1

My main issue with TH as with most brands is they focus on smaller wrists, there is little choice when you go 46mm and above. Can’t understand like clothes they make a standard 3 size small 36-38mm medium 42mm - 44mm and then large 46mm plus. Frustrating for the troll wristed people among us, me being one

Ok this is a weird one and I’m prepared to be shot down but I really don’t like motor sport or  F1,and they have a massive tie in with them. 

Every time I see one in my price range that I like it has Formula 1 on it somewhere and it just puts me off. 

• Like 1

It’s love hate for me with TAG....actually for the same reasons I’m love hate with Rolex. 

Are they nice watches? Yeh I love my Monaco. 

Are they overpriced and overhyped? Damn right they are. Both with Rolex and TAG you can get far better watches at a better price point. 

There lies the problem for me....I look at most of their watches, think they’re nice, then look at the price and end up going to Longines, Tudor, Breitling or Omega. Far better watches for the same price point. 

• Like 1

It’s love hate for me with TAG....actually for the same reasons I’m love hate with Rolex. 

Are they nice watches? Yeh I love my Monaco. 

Are they overpriced and overhyped? Damn right they are. Both with Rolex and TAG you can get far better watches at a better price point. 

There lies the problem for me....I look at most of their watches, think they’re nice, then look at the price and end up going to Longines, Tudor, Breitling or Omega. Far better watches for the same price point. 

Are you seriously comparing Longines and Tudor to Tag Heuer and Rolex?

Completely different markets and price points. Swatch themselves position Omega above Longines and Tudor and Rolex are positioned at different price points and markets too.

Rolex sports models were the ultimate GADA watch before they became jewellery. They’re in demand for a reason and the quality and durability is right up there as tool watches.

Take a Submariner at RRP at around £6-7k depending on model. You cannot compare a £1k Longines diver in anyway. Omega is on par with the Planet Ocean range but again your on a similar price point for the master coaxial versions as Rolex.

The only difference for the past couple of years are that the Rolex s/steel sports models have been available on the grey market only and not through an AD for the average person, whereas Omega et al have been readily available at AD’s and with varying levels of discounts.

Pay extra to get one now for a Submariner and it’ll still hold its value over a decade or two due to demand and the inevitable price increases over the years. You may not break even but you won’t suffer anywhere near the same loss as if you sold an equivalent Omega model. You’ll also suit a Rolex as you get older whereas a cheaper Longines or a bright orange Omega will start to look out of place as you become a person of the older variety!

No. I’m not comparing them directly, I’m saying for me they suffer the same issue...overpriced and and overhyped. I see Longines and TAG as direct competitors.....with Longines you pay less for better quality and history. Same for Omega and Rolex....are Rolex double the quality of Omega? Do they have more history? No....but you have to play silly games to get a Rolex, for what exactly?....especially when you can walk straight into any store, pick up a JLC Master ultra thin or reverso small seconds which is a far superior watch in terms of hand finishing, horology etc 

I suppose it comes down to this, with Brands like Longines, OMEGA, JLC you pay for 80% technology, 20% Advertising/ brand snobbery, with brands like TAG and Rolex its more like 60% Technology, 40% Advertising/ brand snobbery. 

Are you telling me that if you took the logo off the front of a TAG or Rolex, that you would pay double the price of a comparable Longines or Omega? 

In terms of your last point....you’re kinda proving my point arent you?....watches holding their value is just down to brand hype.....it doesn’t mean the watch is superior technology wise....sure Rolex is on a roll at the moment but there’s no guarantee that will last forever...fashions change, people’s taste changes. Thing is, with an Omega if you buy it at the right price in the first place...which is easily done and it won’t lose value. 

Anyway, we’re getting a little OT

Edited by WickerBill

No. I’m not comparing them directly, I’m saying for me they suffer the same issue...overpriced and and overhyped. I see Longines and TAG as direct competitors.....with Longines you pay less for better quality and history. Same for Omega and Rolex....are Rolex double the quality of Omega? Do they have more history? No....but you have to play silly games to get a Rolex, for what exactly?....especially when you can walk straight into any store, pick up a JLC Master ultra thin or reverso small seconds which is a far superior watch in terms of hand finishing, horology etc 

I suppose it comes down to this, with Brands like Longines, OMEGA, JLC you pay for 80% technology, 20% Advertising/ brand snobbery, with brands like TAG and Rolex its more like 60% Technology, 40% Advertising/ brand snobbery. 

Are you telling me that if you took the logo off the front of a TAG or Rolex, that you would pay double the price of a comparable Longines or Omega? 
In terms of your last point....you’re kinda proving my point arent you?....watches holding their value is just down to brand hype.....it doesn’t mean the watch is superior technology wise....sure Rolex is on a roll at the moment but there’s no guarantee that will last forever...fashions change, people’s taste changes. Thing is, with an Omega if you buy it at the right price in the first place...which is easily done and it won’t lose value. 
Anyway, we’re getting a little OT

Tag Heuer have some of the most advanced models on the planet. Take a look at the Mikrotimer for instance. They also produced a proper in house tourbillion at a more attainable price point than any other manufacturer. LVMH purchased Zenith to gain knowledge of their movements and produce even better versions for their Hublot brand and higher end Tag Heuer models.

What has Longines done in comparison? When was the last time the brand released an innovative movement or complication? The moonphase I have is based in the Valjoux 7750 and its a nice watch but it wasn’t produced by Longines. Priced at around £2.5k compared to my equivalent Speedmaster moonphase at £7k it’s a bargain but it’s nowhere near the Omega in terms of case design, finishing or movement. I didn’t buy the Longines and go ‘damn that Omega was a waste of money’; I bought it for what it was.

Rolex has also started introducing an updated in house movement to compete with Omegas master coaxial. They produce all the precious metals in house too which is rare for most manufacturers.

Have you seen the price of an Omega Planet Ocean? Your looking at around £5k as a starting point and that’s not a huge saving compared to a Rolex Submariner. It’s priced lower for a reason; if it was so much better it would be at a higher price point. Swatch and Rolex aren’t small companies, they know how to market their watches and what price point to set each model at in comparison to their competitors.

alright.....lets compare models. you can get a Longines VHP for £780....whats the comparible TAG model? the F1? almost double the price, without the high accuracy. How about their divers..Hydroconquest with ceramic bezel, 65 hour power reserve, L888 movement made specifically for Longines...£1160...compared to the Aqua Racer £2200. You cant tell me both those comparable TAG models are worth double the Longines models. Don't even get me started on the Monaco....5K, for a none COSC watch!!?? seriously! 

Yes i have seen the Planet Ocean and yes its 5K....and you can get it discounted to circa 4-4.5K if you ask nicely. Most of the time you cant even get a Sub at an AD, so youre paying over the odds on the grey market so that price gap widens substancially. 

Its priced lower for a reason? what reason is that? what makes the Sub so much better than the PO materially? take the logo off both watches, would you pay circa 3k for one watch over the other, or wait 12 months to get one? i wouldnt 

https://www.fratellowatches.com/rolex-submariner-vs-omega-seamaster/

again....going a little off topic with the rolex/ omega thing. 

my point still stands about TAG Vs Longines, or Oris, Tudor for that matter...and i dont even hate TAG...i have one and love it. i just dont see them materially a better watch than their competitors at a lower price. 

Maybe its just the way i look at and buy watches. I tend to have the philosophy of looking at the specs, quality of fit/ finish then ask 'would i buy that watch if the logo was removed' if the answer is yes, then i think its good value...which is of course very subjective and a personal choice. 

• Like 1

alright.....lets compare models. you can get a Longines VHP for £780....whats the comparible TAG model? the F1? almost double the price, without the high accuracy. How about their divers..Hydroconquest with ceramic bezel, 65 hour power reserve, L888 movement made specifically for Longines...£1160...compared to the Aqua Racer £2200. You cant tell me both those comparable TAG models are worth double the Longines models. Don't even get me started on the Monaco....5K, for a none COSC watch!!?? seriously! 
Yes i have seen the Planet Ocean and yes its 5K....and you can get it discounted to circa 4-4.5K if you ask nicely. Most of the time you cant even get a Sub at an AD, so youre paying over the odds on the grey market so that price gap widens substancially. 
Its priced lower for a reason? what reason is that? what makes the Sub so much better than the PO materially? take the logo off both watches, would you pay circa 3k for one watch over the other, or wait 12 months to get one? i wouldnt 
https://www.fratellowatches.com/rolex-submariner-vs-omega-seamaster/

I don’t have a Submariner but I do have have the SeaDwellers. I’ve also got a Planet Ocean and had the first gen PO chrono as my first proper watch.

Do I put the Sea-Dwellers above the PO range? Yes I do. I’m lucky enough to own many watches from many brands and as a long term owner I can draw comparisons rather than just viewing them online or at an AD.

Your comparing a dress watch to a sports watch so they’re not comparable. Longines produce many sports automatics priced higher than the VHP that are more comparable with the Tag Heuers in terms of price and for those that don’t like the Longines models they can purchase models from other brands. Tag Heuer are on par with Omega IMO and definitely a level above Longines. Just look at the bracelet and clasps you get with the Longines compared to those on Tag Heuers.

What’s wrong with a non COSC watch? Omega created their own METAS certification and I know my AP’s and Hublot don’t have COSC. But most Monaco movements nowadays are COSC tested as the older movements aren’t used in the current models. So not sure what model you have but I know my Monaco Gulf is COSC. Not to mention you can get the Monaco’s discounted well below £5k ;)
again....going a little off topic with the rolex/ omega thing. 
my point still stands about TAG Vs Longines, or Oris, Tudor for that matter...and i dont even hate TAG...i have one and love it. i just dont see them materially a better watch than their competitors at a lower price. 
Maybe its just the way i look at and buy watches. I tend to have the philosophy of looking at the specs, quality of fit/ finish then ask 'would i buy that watch if the logo was removed' if the answer is yes, then i think its good value...which is of course very subjective and a personal choice. 

I do agree with this. Many times I’ve seen a watch and thought ‘If that said Casio would I buy it’. But luxury purchases are bought with the heart and logic goes out the window so obviously brands and image do factor into it.
  • Like 1