• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Justlearning

'Services' Watch Crystal Type And Size Help (pics and dimensions inside)

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could help an idiot out! I'm a newbie and just getting into the hobbie. I've successfully serviced and repaired a couple of old British 'Services' movements. And now I'm getting around to ordering crystals and I'm flummoxed!

It appears to be a tension ring domed acrylic crystal. But I'm not too sure. The chrome ring is on the inside of the crystal. The crystal is 30mm in diameter, 4mm high, and the side walls are 2mm. It's domed, but doesn't seem to be a high dome? And the watch case opening doesn't seem to have any indents in the side wall, just straight down to the ledge. Oh and I'm not fussed about the bubble/date window. They don't appear to have come with it originally anyway.

Had a scour of cousins parts list and I just wound up being more confused than when I started :D, standard vs domed vs high domed.. 'High domed chrome ring' vs 'Tension ring armoured' and so on..

Here's a link to some pics of the crystal/case:

https://imgur.com/a/8s8qCR9

Thankyou for any replies!

A standard tension ring glass@ 300 should be fine. Sometimes it it advisable to use the original tension ring, as it may be slightly different to the standards supplied with the new glass. For further reference, it is best to measure the case bezel inner diameter. Rather than the diameter of the old glass. Due to shrinkage. You should be ok in this case as it is a tension ring glass.

hope this helps. Regards Simon. If not Shout!

• Thanks 1