• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Xeno

1973 SEIKO 6119-7103 Automatic.

Hi, firstly hello to all watch enthusiasts. I've been looking for a reliable forum, too many out there overrun with over zealous collectors clogging up the net. 

I've been collecting vintage watches for many years now, usually Technos, Cornavin, Vostok/Vostok Europe, Zodiac, Citizen, Seiko, Casio & Smith's. I've recently purchased a 1973 SEIKO 6119-7103 Automatic. The strap is original, but after a visit to a jeweller, the strap is still too big. The links for removing are present, but they just won't budge. The jeweller wasn't any use and handed back the watch unadjusted. Is there something I can use to help remove them. I'll take a photograph and add it to this post. I do not intend to sell this watch, I am a collector, not a dealer. 

Many thanks, Xeno. 

• Like 1

Welcome!

We look forward to seeing your collection and when you post clear images of your Seiko, I'm sure that the good folks on here will be able to advise how best to shorten the bracelet.

Jewellers are not watchmakers and it may need one of the latter to do the job for you if you're not confident of doing so yourself. Ordinarily, it should take a watchmaker only a couple of minutes and cost very little, if anything at all. Avoid jewellers and key-cuttting outfits for any watch repairs or servicing which you can't tackle yourself.

Regards.

6 hours ago, Xeno said:

Hi, firstly hello to all watch enthusiasts. I've been looking for a reliable forum, too many out there overrun with over zealous collectors clogging up the net. 

I've been collecting vintage watches for many years now, usually Technos, Cornavin, Vostok/Vostok Europe, Zodiac, Citizen, Seiko, Casio & Smith's. I've recently purchased a 1973 SEIKO 6119-7103 Automatic. The strap is original, but after a visit to a jeweller, the strap is still too big. The links for removing are present, but they just won't budge. The jeweller wasn't any use and handed back the watch unadjusted. Is there something I can use to help remove them. I'll take a photograph and add it to this post. I do not intend to sell this watch, I am a collector, not a dealer. 

Many thanks, Xeno. 

Welcome to the forum.

Generally it's not hard to remove links from bracelets yourself, but you need the right tools. It sounds like you have enough watches to be worth that investment. With pictures of the bracelet someone here should be able to advise you.

The links on most Seiko bracelets of this period have 'keys' that slide out in the direction of the arrow stamped on the link.  First thing i always do though is clean the bracelet in an ultrasonic bath, as there is so much gunk captured by these folded bracelets that the keys often will not slide out.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 19:47, Balaton1109 said:

Welcome!

We look forward to seeing your collection and when you post clear images of your Seiko, I'm sure that the good folks on here will be able to advise how best to shorten the bracelet.

Jewellers are not watchmakers and it may need one of the latter to do the job for you if you're not confident of doing so yourself. Ordinarily, it should take a watchmaker only a couple of minutes and cost very little, if anything at all. Avoid jewellers and key-cuttting outfits for any watch repairs or servicing which you can't tackle yourself.

Regards.

Sorry I replied with no text, not sure how that happened, I will be adding pictures today.

Many thanks.

11 minutes ago, Xeno said:

I don't see the usual arrows. But there's clearly holes to remove the retaining part. 

IMG_20200629_004236.jpg

IMG_20200629_004210.jpg