• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JonnyOldBoy

Why not to baby your watches....

I am in the subset of watch owners who could not care less ( within reason ) what knocks and sinks my watches get.

Example today was putting my summer Hirsch on my Longines Conquest made me look at the watch afresh and when I noticed the scratch on the bezel at 6 o'clock I instantly remembered I got it in our Condo on Maui last July as I was preparing an exquisite fresh Tuna Poke and fried Ahi platter..... priceless memories for me and my family and certainly a worthy dink to enjoy.

I clunked the watch on the glass table and remember the impact.....

THIS is why you must not baby your watches because every now and then you get a real medal of honour one .....

• Like 1

Ah, those halcyon days recorded in a damaged watch. My beat up old Seiko 5 reminds me of the day I took one of many short cuts whilst working underneath a large earthmover. I caught the bracelet between the live feed into the starter motor (high amps DC) and the chassis (earth) resulting in the bracelet glowing red hot and burning my wrist. When I eventually managed to break free, it blew the watch clean off my wrist showering my scalp with Seikos best burning hot bracelet material. I fell 6ft face down to the bottom of the inspection pit, which was around 2" deep in various grades of used engine/transmission oil, sawdust and mud, followed by a selection of tools which landed on my back. Once everyone standing about calmed down and stopped laughing, I got the fire hose turned on me because the right sleeve of my boiler suit had gone on fire. Some say that other users of the same pit, if caught short, would have a p!ss in it, rather than go to the trouble of climbing out and using the facilities. Oh how I laughed. :laughing2dw:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

to be honest my memory is getting worse the older i get :tongue: and i would probally not be able to remember were and when i damaged my watch so it would just bloody anoy me & my OCD that it was damaged so i would want any damage repaired / removed and prefer to keep em as pristine as i can :biggrin::biggrin: horses for courses :thumbsup:

deano

• Like 2

I am actually enjoying my work Seiko getting slowly beaten up, it has evidence of welding, laying bricks, painting, the slate roof I did the other week left the khaki strap a more interesting colour too!  It's a bit like a CV on my wrist :laugh:

The finer watches however I would prefer to keep clean, my memory (in the middle of my 30's) is already pretty pants and I doubt I would recall anything like you have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Ah, those halcyon days recorded in a damaged watch. My beat up old Seiko 5 reminds me of the day I took one of many short cuts whilst working underneath a large earthmover. I caught the bracelet between the live feed into the starter motor (high amps DC) and the chassis (earth) resulting in the bracelet glowing red hot and burning my wrist. When I eventually managed to break free, it blew the watch clean off my wrist showering my scalp with Seikos best burning hot bracelet material. I fell 6ft face down to the bottom of the inspection pit, which was around 2" deep in various grades of used engine/transmission oil, sawdust and mud, followed by a selection of tools which landed on my back. Once everyone standing about calmed down and stopped laughing, I got the fire hose turned on me because the right sleeve of my boiler suit had gone on fire. Some say that other users of the same pit, if caught short, would have a p!ss in it, rather than go to the trouble of climbing out and using the facilities. Oh how I laughed. :laughing2dw:

Don't be shy. Someone must've filmed that and put it on Youtube. We need the link. :biggrin:

5 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Don't be shy. Someone must've filmed that and put it on Youtube. We need the link. :biggrin:

Mid 1990's I'm afraid (Unfortunately) so pre YouTube (thankfully). :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

I tend to baby my new watches at the start when they are new then over time my standards slip a little, I will end up being a little more blase with them. That geing said I do have designated watches that I do wear for work and those ones I don't mind getting knocked and scratched, but I do try to avoid this happening though. 

• Like 4

I know its not a luxury watch, but my Hami Quartz has been round the world with me, the PVD is worn off the bezel and the case is a little battered - on its 4th or 5th strap now. I have shot with it, dived and climbed, jumped out of aircraft with it, pretty much every interesting even of the last 20ish years, I have had that watch with me.

Of all my watches, that's the one my Daughter has explicitly said she wants left to her when i finally push my luck too far :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roxyben said:

I tend to baby my new watches at the start when they are new then over time my standards slip a little, I will end up being a little more blase with them. That geing said I do have designated watches that I do wear for work and those ones I don't mind getting knocked and scratched, but I do try to avoid this happening though. 

Similar here, when i get new watch im forever looking at it at different angles for scratches etc, as time goes on i get bit less obssessive about it, especially after its first scratch or knock.Once had a TAG and got a deep scratch on the bezel after only a few weeks, i was gutted and remember forlornly rubbing it as if it would magic away:laugh:, i accepted and got used to the fact it would be scarred forever.

• Like 2

I think it is pretty reasonable to "baby" a watch when new, similarly with a new car, however once it has had the first scratch/dent/knock one tends to be slightly relieved and not worry quite so much about the watch/car however I don't think I could possibly knock up my good watches the way I have seen some. That is why I have work watches(beater) & others that I would not dream of wearing to work. If I worked in an office this probably wouldn't be the  case though.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Porker63 said:

I think it is pretty reasonable to "baby" a watch when new, similarly with a new car, however once it has had the first scratch/dent/knock one tends to be slightly relieved and not worry quite so much about the watch/car however I don't think I could possibly knock up my good watches the way I have seen some. That is why I have work watches(beater) & others that I would not dream of wearing to work. If I worked in an office this probably wouldn't be the  case though.

I'm exactly the same, I have some for work and some that are definitely not

• Like 1

I normally put a beater on if I foresee something happening but otherwise I’m pretty relaxed. Service time will sort it out if needed. 
89A2FAEE-3D32-41EB-BA4E-7168D116B06C.thumb.jpeg.a605564fe941f3100270ce320fc0954d.jpeg

If this one could tell stories there’d be a few good ones!

I don’t baby my watches as such,but the ocd in me likes to take care of my possessions .

When you have one or two watches they are always going to look worn... when you get a few more there are some that you want to stay pristine and others you are willing to wear while you work on the car. 

Some of mine are always going to be babied.

Edited by Daveyboyz

On 28/06/2020 at 19:36, JonnyOldBoy said:

I am in the subset of watch owners who could not care less ( within reason ) what knocks and sinks my watches get.

Example today was putting my summer Hirsch on my Longines Conquest made me look at the watch afresh and when I noticed the scratch on the bezel at 6 o'clock I instantly remembered I got it in our Condo on Maui last July as I was preparing an exquisite fresh Tuna Poke and fried Ahi platter.... 

Ah, first world problems. :partytime:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ong said:

Ah, first world problems. :partytime:

Yes I read that back .... it does read like a trivial episode in the grand scheme of things... but the Poke and Ahi were exquisite, and I dusted the Ahi with my own bespoke corn-flour based coating that included a crushed peppercorn medley and a dash of twice distilled rice liquor ... obviously the Poke was just raw fresh Yellow Fin Tuna with the usual salad ingredients, but still divine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

and I dusted the Ahi with my own bespoke corn-flour based coating that included a crushed peppercorn medley and a dash of twice distilled rice liquor ... 

So self catering then 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw: