• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
pauluspaolo

Pocket watch x 2 + 1 x hand wind watch

I seem to be on something of a hand wind kick at the moment as the last 3 watches I've bought have all been manually wound.

They are a pair of Ingersoll & Timex pocket watches (which I'm becoming more & more interested in) & a Panerai Radiomir clone with an Asian 6498, or 6497, movement (not sure which). I'm wearing the MM now (just because it's a wrist watch) but the other 2 are on my desk merrily ticking away. Both are keeping good time in the company of my 100(ish) year old J.W. Benson full hunter. I don't think either the Ingersoll or Timex are particularly "good" in pocket watch terms but I like them & all 3 watches together have a nice reassuring tick. The Timex is a fair bit smaller & thinner than the other 2 & appears to be sealed with no way of accessing the movement. I wonder if it's a disposable watch & if, probably more like when, it goes wrong you're supposed to bin it & buy another? On the Ingersoll you can use a fingernail to pry the case back off in order to reveal the utterly unexciting movement. Some watches have fantastic looking movements, this isn't one of them unfortunately :( I'm not trying to put either of the pocket watches down - they were probably cheap to produce & cheap to buy & it shows. There's nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. They don't pretend to be anything more than that.

The MM is a different kettle of fish however. It's a wrist watch for a start & is, I suppose, pretending to be something it isn't. I hesitate to suggest that it's a fake but put Panerai Radiomir on the dial & that's pretty much what it'd be. Just to say that there's no mention of Panerai anywhere on the watch. It's a shame really as it seems to be nicely made & is keeping good time (so far), now that I've changed the strap for one that's comfier to wear/use I'm pretty happy with it. When looked face on from above the case resembles a rounded off square & measures 44mm from 9 - 3 (48mm including the crown) & 44mm from 12 - 6. The wire lugs obviously add a bit to this but aren't that noticeable (more conventional lugs would be much bigger/more obvious) & they go some way to making a large watch wearable for those of us with spindly wrists, I wouldn't want to go any bigger than this though. I'm sure it's been said by others before me but I wish they'd make a 42mm version - the same case style & with the same movement - but I don't think this is available & I'm not sure it's even possible considering the movement is quite large (ex-pocket watch I believe). I don't think an auto version or, God forbid, a quartz version would cut the mustard at all I'm afraid. There's something about winding a watch by hand which I like. Despite it being a manual wind it has a screw down crown which is a feature I like on all my watches (not just the divers), I doubt if it makes one iota of difference to the water resistance of this particular watch (I think the stated 30m is probably pushing it) but I like it all the same & I find no hardship in unscrewing the crown to wind the watch. 

So there you go - 3 more watches for the collection & I'll probably only ever use 1 of them :thumbs_up:

ebbQ7U3.jpg

eE1HjlA.jpg

GmZ7sob.jpg

fI32pLr.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo