• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Davidblognj

Assistance with David Taylor Liverpool pocket watch

Hi

i was just gifted this pocket watch and was hoping to get some assistance on its value and operation. The face is marked David Taylor Liverpool. I am unable to open the interior case to access the movement. I am under the assumption that the case is sterling?  I do not have a key for the winding mechanism. Any info would be appreciated. 

WZI4GPB.jpg

TWsOHPv.jpg

8Ma2rHQ.jpgDxWUWJQ.jpgrUsGdbd.jpgWktpjmy.jpgKcw9vdE.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

The case appears to be made by Joseph Harris Elliot, The Butts, Coventry.

If you , carefully, get your thumbnail under the lever, placed on the edge at the 6 o’clock position, gently push & lift & the whole movement will swing upwards.

Be careful not to make contact with the dial!!

There will probably be a dust cover that will have to be removed to expose the movement.  If you get that far, come back & we will instruct you further.

Strongly suspect this will have a Coventry made movement?

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

8dqxWnJ.jpgsQ9YRa5.jpgKkAzsHP.jpgGNiuQQB.jpgThank you for the information so far. I was able to open it and remove the cover, which is stamped W.B

The movement also says David Taylor and Liverpool. The serial number is 23990

the interior of the case has the same hallmarks. This is very exciting..like opening a treasure chest!

David

• Like 1

Well done!
It appears to have an Edward Massey (Coventry) escapement (?) fitted to the movement.  The signature will be under the balance cock.

Edward Massey supplied his patented escapement (5 variations) to other watchmakers for fitting into their movements, many to the  Prescott/Liverpool trade.

The brass dust cover is probably a generic one.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Would 1858 be correct for dating it?  Also does anyone have any idea on a value?  We may be interested in selling it as we are doing renovations on our house and every little bit helps. 

thanks again for any info

david