• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
jrobbo

Smiths De Luxe Watch

Hi

I'm new here so please be kind!

I have a Smiths watch that I've just listed on Ebay and within about 10 mins, my phone was going berserk with offers, messages etc.

Obviously, I know nothing about watches and thought it was just a simple watch and after spending a couple of hours on the internet, I came across this site and have now done abit of research (should've done the research before listing it obiously!).

Does anyone know, out of curiosity, what year these watches were given to British Rail employees? I know it's abit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but I was trying to remember when my Great Grandad was given it and thought maybe about the mid 60's but after doing abit of research, think it may have been a little bit earlier.

I've tried looking at old Smiths catalogues and have tried a few things but saw a few on here were quite knowledgeable so wondered if anyone could shed any light on it? I'll try and post a pic!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293631570432?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Do I detect a hallmark on the underside of one of the lugs ?

If you remove the case back & post images of movement, & inside of case back, I’m pretty sure we can narrow it down for you.

Thanks Karrusel - I will give that a go tomorrow and post pics.

There is a stamp at the side of the gold watch face that I think says 325.

I’ve just had a look and I wouldn’t have a clue how to remove that case back and I don’t want to damage it - I doubt the back has ever been off for years and years 

I'd say it was a 1960s model of middling quality.  The lug may say 375, which indicates 9k gold.  As does the caseback engraving - if it were plated the engraving would show stainless through it.

British Rail gave hundreds of these away.  They are not rare but still collectable.  If you are not comfortable taking the back off then don't try- you could damage the case, dial, movement or all of them

That’s really helpful - thank you. I estimated he would’ve received it mid to late 60’s so might not be far off.

I think I’ll leave the back on - would hate to damage it. 

Thanks very much for your help

47 minutes ago, jrobbo said:

I think I’ll leave the back on - would hate to damage it. 

If you have never had the back off , this is what the movement looks like , the Smiths cal 1215 …...Very nice looking watch BTW .

he0lqwAl.jpg

Edited by Tazmo61

I would amend your advert to emphasise the fact it’s 9ct gold ( maybe add it in the heading) , I know us that know know but for those that don’t it will attract more interest and probably a better price. Nice watch btw , good luck with the sale 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balaton1109 said:

Selling your great grandfather's heirloom watch??

A personal choice and we shouldn’t criticise others when we don’t know the circumstances in which it’s being sold. 

• Like 2

People really shouldn’t be so judgemental nowadays.

A great grandfather that I didn’t know and therefore have no real sentimentality to the piece and unfortunately, neither of my daughters are interested in the watch so would rather it go to someone who appreciates it rather than it being sat I n a drawer for the next 30 years. 

Entirely agree, and sadly my post must have been so poorly structured as to render some unable to distinguish whether it was critical or quizzical.

Notwithstanding, and as far as I can see, the OP has been consistently selling items online for many years and has now included a family heirloom amongst these items. I’d rather sell a kidney, but maybe that’s just me and obviously I have as much knowledge of what’s in the OP’s mind as you have in mine.

Regards.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Balaton1109 said:

sadly my post must have been so poorly structured as to render some unable to distinguish whether it was critical or quizzical.

I accept that I’m probably one of the few who share a similar view to yourself, family heirlooms (regardless of value), along with gifted pieces, have no monetary value whatsoever.  The sentiment with which they were given is irreplaceable & priceless in my eyes!

Would probably sell someone else’s kidney first though...

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2