• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New watch wear on original strap or swap

Hey guys, quick question that I often do is when I buy a new watch or a used mint one I take off the original strap to keep it in as new condition and for an aftermarket leather or NATO that I don’t mind sweating on.

Does anyone else immediately take off their original strap and swap for an aftermarket one to save the original strap?

• Like 1

Yup, every watch I own has a new strap put on almost immediately. Usually because I order my watches with a bracelet if there’s an option, but I don’t like bracelets, so change for leather, rubber or NATO. I think that that way I’m maximising any resale value, should I ever sell.

My Marathon MSAR came on a rubber strap with no holes, so you can fit it perfectly. I didn’t want to mark it though, so off it came and put up safe and sound in a box of safely wrapped watch straps. 

• Like 2

Can't stand straps or Natos, so always buy on a bracelet. Never take it off to save it though, unless I fancy a change to say... a mesh... straps just get too stinky for me.

Having said that, my Lorus Mickey Mouse is still on a black leather strap, because I can't find a bracelet to do it justice. The case is 18ct gold plated, but I hate gold bracelets.

It'll stay on black leather, but never be worn (by me).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Can't stand straps or Natos, so always buy on a bracelet. Never take it off to save it though, unless I fancy a change to say... a mesh... straps just get too stinky for me.

Having said that, my Lorus Mickey Mouse is still on a black leather strap, because I can't find a bracelet to do it justice. The case is 18ct gold plated, but I hate gold bracelets.

It'll stay on black leather, but never be worn (by me).

Just as stubborn and fussy as I remember:tongue:

• Haha 5

Of course its not `the` reason why we buy a watch, but we sometimes choose a watch because it also has a nice strap, personally i think changing straps is fine if its a cheap watch, but if you`ve paid `good money` for it and then change the strap straight away maybe you shouldnt have really bought it.

• Like 1