• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Reconnecting...and a new watch!

Morning all!

It has been a long time since I posted (I have looked in occasionally). All is well, though I  went through a period when I felt I was done with watches. I was just getting used to the idea of running down to retirement when YKW turned the world upside down, and I found myself thrown off the glide path, so to speak, and battling turbulence in a fight to adapt to very new ways of working.

Anyway, nearly there. I retire next week, though I will be doing some VERY part-time work next year with two classes of exam students. Might as well, since I've put the travel plans on hold. My attempt to launch a second career as a travel-writer is still in the sights, but I have postponed the field trips until things are a little clearer. I shall concentrate instead on the research - normally my Achilles' Heel.

I abandoned the idea of going for an Explorer as a retirement present to self/exit watch, and went instead for this lovely MeisterSinger Metris. Perfect little travel watch, doesn't mind getting wet, and I decided I don't need GMT as long as I have an iPhone and a semi-functional brain.

metris.thumb.jpeg.b382490b1d74541458c10b210957aa96.jpeg

Anyway, I hope all are well. I shall have a bit more time (and inclination) now, so I hope to post a bit more if I'm still welcome.

:beach:

• Like 10

@Porker63 I started looking at the Exp a couple of years ago, but then went very lukewarm on it. This is perfect for when you don't have to know the time to the second...i.e. most of the time for me!

• Like 2

Welcome back @AVO :thumbsup:

Perfect retirement watch and just right for relaxing when you don’t need to know the exact time. Do you still have a collection or did you shift them on? I remember you having quite a few nice ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, relaxer7 said:

Do you still have a collection or did you shift them on? I remember you having quite a few nice ones. 

I have moved a few CWs on, reducing them from 8 to 4. That includes the Trident GMT which was too big and heavy. The vintage group is still intact, though not often worn. The Moonwatch and Cartier Tank are still my "top 2".

• Like 1

Welcome back, Sir @AVO. Both your counsel, and the East Anglian representation have been missed.

FWIW, I'd much rather have the Metris than an Explorer  --  so I hope you enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@yokel Thanks indeed! I've just been looking at your Benzinger (ooh err, Missus!) :laugh:

That is a fabulous piece - almost worth wearing back to front for the decoration on that movement!:thumbs_up:

• Thanks 1

Welcome back, although for me, you never went away - lol!

The MS is great. Very distinctive and distinguished. 

I have always been a fan of MS and you made the right choice IMHO. So much peer pressure with a Rollie. 

• Thanks 1

Retirement?  you don't look old enough!  

Nice choice.  Well put together watches for the price point these Meistersinger's.  

And if you want any help with the travel writing I can pretty much map Europe by Indian restaurants.  Happy to help

• Thanks 1

I love the 1 handed meistersingers but they are a tad too dressy for me personally but that one is lovely.

I think every watch fan goes through an 'explorer want' stage in their journey. I certainly did and came very close to buying one but for me they are a tad too small and are very expensive for what they are. In the end I scratched the itch with a Smiths Everest 40mm and haven't looked back.

• Like 1