• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Which three watches would you take on an Antarctic journey?

It would be interesting to know, if you could travel today, which watches would you take on an Antarctic journey?

I watched this video (with subtitles. Original Language: German) and found the choice quite interesting: 

I look forward to your selection... and please explain briefly why you would choose them!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is there one with a heater?

Only one for me,  "The Raketa Polar watch is inspired by the iconic Raketa model that was specially made in 1970 for Soviet polar explorers working in the extreme Antarctic conditions. The d

To keep me warm ..  

Posted Images

Even though it was a piece of personal "puff", I found the video interesting  --  if only to see the two less humdrum watches.

However, it would, from my point of view, have been much more interesting had the presenter showed us ten watches and logically eliminated some to deduce his short list. For all we know, those three might represent his entire collection.

I didn't watch the vid but in answer to your question I wouldn't take three watches, perhaps two - Rolex Explorer II (or GMT Master II) and an Omega Speedmaster Pro

Rolex was good enough for Edmund Hillary and Ranulph Fiennes Antarctic adventures and the Speedmaster was good enough for Reinhold Messner who walked across Antarctica and Ralph Plaisted who did the first "overland" (or technically over ice) journey to the North Pole so I guess it would work in the Antarctic.

Couldn't be arsed watching the vid , big brova there last year - said said it was mostly the same old dreary retired rolex crowd you get on these sorts of trips and watches were about the least interesting aspect of the holiday. 

I'd take two. The Bremonts Terra Nova and Endurance. Both have been there and done it with polar explorer Ben Saunders and he had an input into their design. 

There you go. You can close this thread now! :laughing2dw: 

Bremont-endurance-guetzli-f236884b751895

• Like 2

Only one for me,

W-45-17-10-0242.jpg

"The Raketa Polar watch is inspired by the iconic Raketa model that was specially made in 1970 for Soviet polar explorers working in the extreme Antarctic conditions. The dial was specially divided into 24 hours so that the wearer could always tell the exact time even beyond the polar circle, where there is no distinction between day and night."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Considering none of us are likely to be going to the Antarctic any time soon, why do you want to know what we think about the choices of a random German video?

Maybe it is just to get `views' (hits) for the video. :whistle:

• Like 1

I used to really like the concept and look of the Ressence. The spell broke when I realised that the white on black aesthetics and hand symbol remind me of an 80s car dashboard. They should do one with a choke. 

file-5c3637801101a-1440x900.jpg

Only one for me,
W-45-17-10-0242.jpg
 "The Raketa Polar watch is inspired by the iconic Raketa model that was specially made in 1970 for Soviet polar explorers working in the extreme Antarctic conditions. The dial was specially divided into 24 hours so that the wearer could always tell the exact time even beyond the polar circle, where there is no distinction between day and night."

I’d have to agree with this - it’s specifically designed for the Cold conditions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent some time in the Arctic when I was a good bit younger than I am now, and wore my trusty seiko 6139 while I was there, which functioned perfectly. 

Of course the point is that we wear our watches next to our skin which is a lot less durable to extremes than a watch and the watch is duly kept warm in the process of wearing it, so to be honest any old watch you fancy would do the job just as well....:biggrin:

7855833544_24baf9d85b_z.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, artistmike said:

Of course the point is that we wear our watches next to our skin which is a lot less durable to extremes than a watch and the watch is duly kept warm in the process of wearing it, so to be honest any old watch you fancy would do the job just as well....

This is very true, plus the comfort of the Hapag Lloyd cabin is convenient for keeping the temperature correct on the two that you don't wear whilst the penguins are admiring your watch of choice for the day. :yes:

I remember these from years ago and thinking I'd like one. 

Omega-Speedmaster-Moonwatch-Alaska-Proje

Looks like it would do a job on the outside of your snowsuit or spacesuit. 

Another interesting Omega article 

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-plaisted-polar-expedition-1968/

I hate the cold, I did a couple of winters out in the Czech Republic and one year it was for me anyway, particularly brutal. Regularly seeing -25/30*C in the ski places near where we were working. My old Rolex Sub that I had at the time worked fine, but then so did my old MK2 Golf GTI that I drove over there, like the Sub surprisingly it never missed a beat either. 

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 2

If this was 'any watch' not necessarily ones I own it'd be:

AP Royal Oak 15400 Boutique Blue - just because I've always wanted one.

ap+15400.jpg

HYT H5 - Again always wanted and HYT but I'd also be interested to see what happened to the fluidics in the extreme cold.

HYT-H5-Blue-Fluid-1.jpg

Breitling Emergency - The one I'd actually wear, useful for 'Thing' type situations.

E7632522-BC02-159E.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, julian2002 said:

If this was 'any watch' not necessarily ones I own it'd be:

AP Royal Oak 15400 Boutique Blue - just because I've always wanted one.

ap+15400.jpg

HYT H5 - Again always wanted and HYT but I'd also be interested to see what happened to the fluidics in the extreme cold.

HYT-H5-Blue-Fluid-1.jpg

Breitling Emergency - The one I'd actually wear, useful for 'Thing' type situations.

E7632522-BC02-159E.jpg

The Thing, that’s brought back memories, and made me chuckle

On 07/07/2020 at 14:20, relaxer7 said:

I'd pick this one out of my box: 

72A503C5-CD1E-4122-8F77-55AB3F76A759.thumb.jpeg.22fb94f7911b9f4aa025ce0e67303801.jpeg

The Explorer 2 has been slowly growing on me over the last couple of years, I went with the Explorer (1) because I like the classic design but it is pretty hopeless as a real expedition watch without even having a date!  If there is a revision of the Explorer 2 on the cards then I will definitely be looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

• Like 1