• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I was thinking now may be a good time to buy with Watch sales falling to get a nice discount. I’m new to the UK, I actually live in Reading but I go to London often. Any recommendations for good ADs? 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see what you mean, this is what I do with cars. I look for ones 1-2 years old under 10k miles and save like 20-30k for basically a new car.  But I would like to enjoy the experience buying from

Cash is not all that desirable to a business. They have to check the notes for forgeries and send someone to the bank to pay it in so added risk to staff and the bank charges for taking in the cash. C

Mappin and Webb in Fenchurch St or Watches of Switzerland near the Royal Exchange. 

Might be useful to know what sort of watch you are thinking of  --  otherwise recommended ADs could range from Ernest Jones to William & Son.

Great thread! I was hoping to start my own asking a similar question.

Do those in the know generally try to use as few ADs as possible to buy their watches or do they pick and choose depending on the make?

I'm in the market for a Tudor now, a Rolex next, and then over the following years have created a wish list for other models (Cartier, MeisterSinger, IWC, AP etc etc).

Thanks, @Andrew0409 hopefully any answers to my question help you as well.

3 hours ago, yokel said:

Might be useful to know what sort of watch you are thinking of  --  otherwise recommended ADs could range from Ernest Jones to William & Son.

I’m really not sure yet. I am looking at many options like the speedmaster, seamaster, IWC pilot watches, vacheron constantin patrimony, grand seiko. 

3 hours ago, yokel said:

4 hours ago, ong said:

Mappin and Webb in Fenchurch St or Watches of Switzerland near the Royal Exchange. 

Will Watches KD Switzerland do discounts? I have heard bigger chains are less likely to give them out, especially in major cities like London. 

Being known (for positive reasons) to an AD is always useful. But, whilst the Omegas from @Andrew0409's list are available pretty much anywhere, IWC and especially VC are not  --  so the AD will need to be selected for the desired target.

With regard to discounts, there are essentially only two reasons why you would not get one:

- some (few) watches are in high demand, and therefore don't get discounted. (And, Rolex are not above threatening ADs on the subject), and, much more commonly,

- because no-one on the floor of the store has the authority to negotiate (department stores come to mind)  --  those are the ADs to avoid.

Generally though, if you look as though you have the wherewithal and are willing to deal there and then, price is negotiable in even the most upmarket of establishments.

You might be amazed at how focused many sales people can become if you put down your credit card and name your (reasonably researched) price  --  however, if you ever want to be taken seriously again, if they say "yes" you have to go through with the deal. Responding with "thanks, I'll think about it" marks you out as a time waster.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Andrew0409 said:

I’m really not sure yet. I am looking at many options like the speedmaster, seamaster, IWC pilot watches, vacheron constantin patrimony, grand seiko. 

Will Watches KD Switzerland do discounts? I have heard bigger chains are less likely to give them out, especially in major cities like London. 

Mappin and Webb sometimes have 'managers specials'. WOS don't discount much and hardly anyone discounts Rolex. If you want to haggle, I'd suggest looking at the non brand aligned dealers such as Watchfinder, Blowers or Mark Worthington in Wilmslow.  A lot of watches including Rolex get passed around the trade and end up at non ADs who are not bound by Rolex ' rules'. 

45 minutes ago, ong said:

Mappin and Webb sometimes have 'managers specials'. WOS don't discount much and hardly anyone discounts Rolex. If you want to haggle, I'd suggest looking at the non brand aligned dealers such as Watchfinder, Blowers or Mark Worthington in Wilmslow.  A lot of watches including Rolex get passed around the trade and end up at non ADs who are not bound by Rolex ' rules'. 

I don't personally like Rolex so that's not an issue. 

1 hour ago, yokel said:

You might be amazed at how focused many sales people can become if you put down your credit card and name your (reasonably researched) price  --  however, if you ever want to be taken seriously again, if they say "yes" you have to go through with the deal. Responding with "thanks, I'll think about it" marks you out as a time waster.

I was actually thinking of bringing an envelope of cash, speedmaster professional goes for around 4,600 pounds, I was thinking of bringing 4k and say that's my budget if they are willing to take it. I'm not sure how much they would budge, as I think the Speedmaster is popular and generally sells well. But maybe they are much more willing if they see the cash right in front of them no hassle. 

15 hours ago, Andrew0409 said:

I’m new to the UK, I actually live in Reading but I go to London often.

Have you tried the ones in Reading? There used to be a decent selection in the Oracle and around the High St. I think it's gone but WOS actually had a discount store there (that was badly managed). But to be honest, for the brands you have mentioned just do the Harrods - Bond Streets - Regent St - Selfridges circuit. That will cover all bases and a good walk from Paddington through Hyde Park to Harrods to start your day. That's what I used to do anyway when I lived near Hungerford, where I caught the train from.. 

2 hours ago, Andrew0409 said:

I was actually thinking of bringing an envelope of cash, speedmaster professional goes for around 4,600 pounds, I was thinking of bringing 4k and say that's my budget if they are willing to take it. I'm not sure how much they would budge, as I think the Speedmaster is popular and generally sells well. But maybe they are much more willing if they see the cash right in front of them no hassle. 

Cash is not all that desirable to a business. They have to check the notes for forgeries and send someone to the bank to pay it in so added risk to staff and the bank charges for taking in the cash. Card on the counter ready to pay is better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Cash is not all that desirable to a business. They have to check the notes for forgeries and send someone to the bank to pay it in so added risk to staff and the bank charges for taking in the cash. Card on the counter ready to pay is better

I see, I think British people prefer card these days as I really don't see many people carrying much cash. I'm from Taiwan, and cash is still king. People prefer cash, some of that is for tax reasons of course and not having a percentage taken by the credit card company. When I was in Beijing, no one had cash or card, everyone used wechat pay (like Apple pay or Samsung pay). Some stores don't even take cash anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Have you tried the ones in Reading? There used to be a decent selection in the Oracle and around the High St. I think it's gone but WOS actually had a discount store there (that was badly managed). But to be honest, for the brands you have mentioned just do the Harrods - Bond Streets - Regent St - Selfridges circuit. That will cover all bases and a good walk from Paddington through Hyde Park to Harrods to start your day. That's what I used to do anyway when I lived near Hungerford, where I caught the train from.. 

No, not yet. I've been busy with the move. And generally still avoiding going to crowded places unless it's needed. I think most stores are still by appointment only and I'm not ready yet as I'm still deciding on which watch to get. The 5-10k range has a lot of good watches, which is my budget right now. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew0409 said:

I see, I think British people prefer card these days as I really don't see many people carrying much cash. I'm from Taiwan, and cash is still king. People prefer cash, some of that is for tax reasons of course and not having a percentage taken by the credit card company. When I was in Beijing, no one had cash or card, everyone used wechat pay (like Apple pay or Samsung pay). Some stores don't even take cash anymore. 

No, not yet. I've been busy with the move. And generally still avoiding going to crowded places unless it's needed. I think most stores are still by appointment only and I'm not ready yet as I'm still deciding on which watch to get. The 5-10k range has a lot of good watches, which is my budget right now. 

Wow, that’s a healthy budget and in that range you will have a lot to look at, have you got a style of watch you prefer? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

Wow, that’s a healthy budget and in that range you will have a lot to look at, have you got a style of watch you prefer? 

I've been eyeing this Speedmaster Professional 44mm is a little large on me, so I think a 42mm will fit nicely. I do want to make sure and try it on first of course. 

I'm also interested in the new James Bond Seamaster watch. It's little overpriced perhaps, but I think it looks cool regardless. The Titanium strap is something different. 

Grand Seiko snowflake is also on the list, it's just such a nice dial and the movement is just impressive. 

10k is pushing it, it's more like 5-8k in reality. I was thinking in USD, still getting use to the pound. 

Edited by Andrew0409
5 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

The advice given to me was to go for what I liked, you have 2 omegas on your list so I would start there, if the Bond looks good on the wrist go for that, I tried to think which one I will regret the most if I didnt buy it

I’m actually considering walking out with both for 10k. That seems like a pretty good deal to me if the AD wants to make it. I can see myself buying the other one later regardless of which one I choose. Might as well try to get a deal buying both. 

Just now, Andrew0409 said:

I’m actually considering walking out with both for 10k. That seems like a pretty good deal to me if the AD wants to make it. I can see myself buying the other one later regardless of which one I choose. Might as well try to get a deal buying both. 

The worst that can happen is to say No. one piece of advice I would give, is build a rapport with them, don’t go straight in as they may not be as accommodating. Good luck and keep us updated

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Andrew0409 said:

I wouldn't take a large amount of cash around London. Apart from the obvious security risk, there are money laundering regulations that mean a lot of businesses are wary of one off customers offering to pay large sums in cash.  Bank transfer works better and can be very quick. 

Edited by ong
11 minutes ago, ong said:

I wouldn't take a large amount of cash around London. Apart from the obvious security risk, there are money laundering regulations that mean a lot of businesses are wary of one off customers offering to pay large sums in cash.  Bank transfer works better and can be very quick. 

I believe there is a cut off on the amount of cash taken, I think it’s about 7/8k or it was in the car industry

17 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I believe there is a cut off on the amount of cash taken, I think it’s about 7/8k or it was in the car industry

Currently set at 10k euro unless the business registers as a high value dealer. If planning on spending that much on a single item then it is probably worth contacting your card company in advance.

• Like 1
On 08/07/2020 at 11:53, stubbed_out said:

Do those in the know generally try to use as few ADs as possible to buy their watches or do they pick and choose depending on the make?

Thanks, @Andrew0409

I generally avoid ADs like the plague, except for my Royal Oak that I managed to get a 45‰ discount on through a contact I generally think they are not the way to buy.   Exceptions apply, most obviously with watches retailing for more secondhand than new (FPJournes, Some Rolex models etc) 

3 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I generally avoid ADs like the plague, except for my Royal Oak that I managed to get a 45‰ discount on through a contact I generally think they are not the way to buy.   Exceptions apply, most obviously with watches retailing for more secondhand than new (FPJournes, Some Rolex models etc) 

So what do you recommend? I'm relatively new to buying watches.