• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nick Parr 1977

Smart Watches Best and Why

So for me the new Tag Heuer 2020 Connected is top, for me style, design and multiple faces so a different Tag for every day of the week. 

Accepting that Samsung and I Watch are better tech but can’t help preferring the Tag. 

• Like 1

I would say from my experience* that an Apple Watch (the incorrectly named I watch) has to be the best smart watch. The tag may have the looks, but in terms of ease of use, functions, connect-ability and so much more, Apple have it. The only thing that lets it down is battery life. 

However, I’m so glad I got rid of mine - not missed being connected at all! When I go for a run - I now map it to see how far I went - more fun! 

*A pal has the TH connected, I had Apple Watch for 5 years, also had a huawei, Samsung and Fitbit in fits and starts. 

Would also add that though Apple customer service is first class, Fitbit is even better. My dad has a Fitbit, which after 11 months developed a minor fault. He rang them and the next day a parcel containing a replacement Fitbit arrived for him. 

Edited by DJJazzyJeff
  • Like 1

Although I have little/no experience of smart watches (I wore someone else's Apple Watch for an afternoon and it annoyed the hell out of me telling me to breathe/stand up/do steps/text messages etc.), I can second the FitBit customer service - it is incredible!

• Like 1

Mi band 2. It’s 20 quid, has ZERO connectivity to your phone. Measures your heart rate and speed when running. Cheep, loads of different dials. gives you exactly what I you need and nothing more. Oh and a 28 day battery life 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

Mi band 2. It’s 20 quid, has ZERO connectivity to your phone. Measures your heart rate and speed when running. Cheep, loads of different dials. gives you exactly what I you need and nothing more. Oh and a 28 day battery life 

I have the mi band 4 and think it is great for the money , the 5 was released in china last month and should be arriving at uk soon but I will stick with my 4 

IMG_20200708_105023.thumb.jpg.159ad315157ac922f5e7064a4e4843e8.jpg

• Like 4

I wanted a Tag connected for years and thanks to one of our wonderful members I now have one

I do love the watch but I wish they would put more effort into collaborating with Apple to get the iOS app sorted. And the battery life is rubbish considering how much the initial outlay was

I’m constantly try to reconnect with my phone but otherwise it’s great 

I’m looking at the new one, as I can’t decide which watch I want, why not go for one where I can change the face, and it has connectability (yes I make up my own words)

just deciding between steel or titanium, leaning towards steel so I can have the steel bracelet for evening and rubber for day, not that I go anywhere.

battery life did put me off but I charge my phone everyday 

• Like 1

Had an apple watch for a long time but gave up wearing it other than at the gym when I got back into 'proper' watches. I now have an honour band 5 that I wear on my right most of the time leaving my left for a 'proper' watch. It took about a week to get used to it but now i don;t even feel it any more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsud2002 said:

I have the mi band 4 and think it is great for the money , the 5 was released in china last month and should be arriving at uk soon but I will stick with my 4 

IMG_20200708_105023.thumb.jpg.159ad315157ac922f5e7064a4e4843e8.jpg

Ah yes mines a mi band 4 too then! Great little watch for the price 

• Like 1

I’ve had a few garmins for running and cycling use and found them good for that purpose. Generally I don’t see them as a daily wear watch. Also I’ve bought them all second hand from a mate who upgrades regularly. I couldn’t bring myself to pay the full RRP as for me they’re not worth it.

The first was a forerunner 610 which was great for recording running & cycling stats and for pacing, but the battery life wasn’t enough for the mountain marathon I did.

The next was a Fenix 2, which again was good for recording data and had a better battery life than the 610. However the negative display got on my nerves after a while.

My current one is a 735xt, which has far more features than I’ll ever use and records more stats than I ever read for my running and cycling. It’s technically the 2nd one as the first gave up the ghost after swimming in the sea. It’s meant to be suitable for triathletes too. Garmin replaced it, but at a charge of £90 as it was out of warranty. Going strong for now.

When working I can’t wear it anyway due to restrictions on Bluetooth enabled devices in the office:bash:

• Like 1

I had a smart watch, and a Fitbit, but I didn't want to wear two watches (one on each wrist) so I bought one of these...

S500BM0RZ_main?$sfcc_fos_hi-res$

Measures steps and sleep, water proof, and the battery life is around 6 months. 'Proper' watch on left wrist, and step monitor on the right.

I bought mine for £6.99, it's called a Misfit Ray, connects to phone, and only does what I wanted it to do...just steps, and just sleep.

I don't really find the sleep monitor super useful as I find that it doesn't really how much sleep I have had that matters, what matters is how well I feel after a sleep not how long I have slept for.

Sorry this reply doesn't really fit in with your thread question, but it is how I balanced out having a step monitor, and wear the watches I love.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I had a smart watch, and a Fitbit, but I didn't want to wear two watches (one on each wrist) so I bought one of these...

S500BM0RZ_main?$sfcc_fos_hi-res$

Measures steps and sleep, water proof, and the battery life is around 6 months. 'Proper' watch on left wrist, and step monitor on the right.

I bought mine for £6.99, it's called a Misfit Ray, connects to phone, and only does what I wanted it to do...just steps, and just sleep.

I don't really find the sleep monitor super useful as I find that it doesn't really how much sleep I have had that matters, what matters is how well I feel after a sleep not how long I have slept for.

Sorry this reply doesn't really fit in with your thread question, but it is how I balanced out having a step monitor, and wear the watches I love.

It’s all relevant as people may read the thread and think it’s a great idea and fantastic compromise between watches like you did 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

So then @Littlelegs, @WickerBill, @julian2002, @DJJazzyJeff and @Andy Jackson and anyone else

my 2 choices are Garmin MARQ and the 2020 tag connected, Which one and why?

so I won’t use many of the functions other than step counter, email notifications, it’s the fact I can change the face and style

It seems like you really like the TAG and it's a 'watchier' brand, I quite like the gmt bezel on the Garmin 'Aviator' but 5 crowns is perhaps a little much but they both do roughly the same thing, the deciding factors are going to be (or would be for me)...

1 - Feature set, are there features on one that sound cool that aren't present on the other.

2 - Ease of connectivity, how easy is it to add faces, setup apps, etc.

3 - Speed, is one significantly smoother to use than the other?

Beyond that it's personal preference and that's down to you.

• Thanks 1

Casio GB 800 does me just fine. I've got three, choice of colours :laughing2dw: less than £50 off Amazon.

gba-800-9aer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, julian2002 said:

It seems like you really like the TAG and it's a 'watchier' brand, I quite like the gmt bezel on the Garmin 'Aviator' but 5 crowns is perhaps a little much but they both do roughly the same thing, the deciding factors are going to be (or would be for me)...

1 - Feature set, are there features on one that sound cool that aren't present on the other.

2 - Ease of connectivity, how easy is it to add faces, setup apps, etc.

3 - Speed, is one significantly smoother to use than the other?

Beyond that it's personal preference and that's down to you.

I do like the Tag, sadly it’s probably the branding and before that I was kinda sold on a Carrera, but then saw the titanium but I can’t afford both a connected and a decent branded night out watch and feel being able to change the strap from steel to rubber gives me options

For a step counter, I just use the Samsung Health app built into my phone (Samsung S10+)...and very accurate it is too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I do like the Tag, sadly it’s probably the branding and before that I was kinda sold on a Carrera, but then saw the titanium but I can’t afford both a connected and a decent branded night out watch and feel being able to change the strap from steel to rubber gives me options

Buy the Carerra and a fitbit then you have a decent watch and a fitness tracker (if you need one) that will be out of date within a few months.

How about one of these...

50090308088_d3eb6f71e8_b.jpg

Meets your requirements, it’s a g-shock, so chunkier and should be tough as old boots. Features Email notifications, step counter, heart rate, gps...

Edited by DJJazzyJeff
  • Like 1

Anything from Apple is the work of the Devil 

:huh:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

If it was my choice from an already established watch company and not some computer or tv manufacturers the Tags look quite good.

:)

• Like 1

The Apple Watch to me, looks like a competition Apple but out to children under 10 to create the worlds most unimaginative designed watch, they certainly picked the winner

10 minutes ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

How about one of these...

50090308088_d3eb6f71e8_b.jpg

Meets your requirements, it’s a g-shock, so chunkier and should be tough as old boots. Features Email notifications, step counter, heart rate, gps...

6 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Anything from Apple is the work of the Devil 

:huh:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

If it was my choice from an already established watch company and not some computer or tv manufacturers the Tags look quite good.

:)

I like the g shock but wanted a decent going out looking watch, I have the mudmaster as my current only watch, love it but wanted something a bit smarter

1 minute ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

The Apple Watch to me, looks like a competition Apple but out to children under 10 to create the worlds most unimaginative designed watch, they certainly picked the winner

I like the g shock but wanted a decent going out looking watch, I have the mudmaster as my current only watch, love it but wanted something a bit smarter

The brands/models you quote are a lot of cash for features you seem to not need/want. I don’t really see where the value is in either. Mind you that’s true to most gps/smart watches. 

Also the tech will be out of date almost straight after purchase & value will plummet as soon as you walk from the store.

If residual value is important to you I’d say avoid both & buy a Samsung gear S3 or similar. You’ll lose less money and have the features you want with cash over for a proper watch. Plus anything that’s been out a while will have had any software/hardware glitches sorted and have lost the “new tech Price tax”.

Battery life seems appalling on the Tag. I’d want to know a bit more about where Tag are getting the tech from to compare whether it’ll be as reliable as garmin/others. 

Not really too much help I’m afraid as I don’t value them as watches, just tools for sport.

This guy does In-depth reviews of gps mainly, but has reviewed the Marq Collection 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/03/garmin-marq-series-detailed-overview-hands-on.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

The brands/models you quote are a lot of cash for features you seem to not need/want. I don’t really see where the value is in either. Mind you that’s true to most gps/smart watches. 

Also the tech will be out of date almost straight after purchase & value will plummet as soon as you walk from the store.

If residual value is important to you I’d say avoid both & buy a Samsung gear S3 or similar. You’ll lose less money and have the features you want with cash over for a proper watch. Plus anything that’s been out a while will have had any software/hardware glitches sorted and have lost the “new tech Price tax”.

Battery life seems appalling on the Tag. I’d want to know a bit more about where Tag are getting the tech from to compare whether it’ll be as reliable as garmin/others. 

Not really too much help I’m afraid as I don’t value them as watches, just tools for sport.

This guy does In-depth reviews of gps mainly, but has reviewed the Marq Collection 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/03/garmin-marq-series-detailed-overview-hands-on.html

I believe Tag gave this 3rd version to google, the last 2 they interfered but not on this one, however at 20hrs battery you are right it is appalling.

i think for me being able to change the face for different Tags gives me a different watch everyday, well till I run out of faces

Smart watches :hmmm9uh:

They are all works of the devil !!! :evil9kf:

Tick tock tick tock

• Haha 2

Never really been interested in smart watches so dont really know whats out there, and i certainly didnt know TAG made them, learn summat new every day.