• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Miriam W

Longcase clock stops every 3 hours

Hello.  I am lucky enough to own an antique 36 hour, chain wound, whiteface, longcase clock.  It stood in our kitchen for over 20 years and began to stop at random times, as well as mostly not striking.  We diagnosed that it needed cleaning and oiling, which has been done.  It now runs beautifully and strikes every hour on the hour.  BUT, it stops every three hours, to the minute - well sometimes it manages 6 hours, or even 9 hours, but you get the idea.  This happens regardless of what time it has been started.  When you come to re-start it, by swinging the pendulum, it doesn't begin ticking unless you gently pull down on the weight or give it a bit of a shock by winding it or getting it to strike.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Is the chain touching the pendulum bob, as it swings. Do you have a counter weight on the loose hanging length of the chain?

is the case standing firmly on the floor? Is the pendulum bob clear of the back of the case, as it swings?

is the Warning detent lifting high enough, see pin on minute wheel.

Have you fitted any new bushes?

Thank you simon2.  The chain and pendulum are fine and not interfering with each other, I do have a counterweight and the pendulum bob does not touch the case.  'Warning detente' sounds a bit technical for me, but it does seem to warn reliably at about 7 minutes to the hour, then carry on to strike.  The bushes have not been replaced, so that might be worth investigating

Thank you also nevenbekriev.  I think what you say about the minute wheel may be the answer - I shall have a very close look at it.