• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What watch were you most disappointed to see in the flesh?

So there are a number of watches that i see plush, lush and stunning marketing photos with the right setting and background and then in reality you question if it is the same watch, so on my list was a Garmin MARQ Adventurer, looked stunning, just seen normal photos and it doesn’t look anything like it, had similar experiences with some Oris

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People are going to start sharpening the pitchforks when I mention this one... but here goes The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. I went into the AD to buy this watch as I have admired the

This is an interesting post to say the least! Some big names and surprising models have made the $hit list. Unfortunately I do have to agree with quite a few of them though, speedy, Daytona, Nort

Paul Newman Daytona, all versions. Their dials are a jarring mix of design styles, cursive and angular, with inconsistent fonts.... whatever the market demand, aesthetically I find them a failure.

Paul Newman Daytona, all versions. Their dials are a jarring mix of design styles, cursive and angular, with inconsistent fonts.... whatever the market demand, aesthetically I find them a failure.

Owned this for a short while, never loved it and sold it after a couple of years.

nQVBt3v.jpg

Interesting to see that Rolex UK themselves refer to it on the paperwork here as "Paul Newman dial" rather than "exotic," which was their traditional name.

H

• Like 3

Two notable ones for me, and unusually, both Seikos. The first was the limited edition 'Blue Lagoon' Samurai...I didn't like the hands, and the whole thing was very underwhelming. I might have kept this one if it'd had the original Samurai style hands.

large.20170222_204040.jpg.8a9e4770db982a0e32f0b76c6f1c1405.jpg

The second was a stainless steel baby tuna, which I had wanted for ages, but when it arrived, once again I didn't like the handset, and it looked too much like all the other tunas.

large.20180106_114918.jpg.db18183cc3d8e4cae63aef4670f8ee85.jpg

Not sure why Seiko insist on using that awful large arrow hour hand on their ProSpex models. Both were flipped within hours of arriving.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Two notable ones for me, and unusually, both Seikos. The first was the limited edition 'Blue Lagoon' Samurai...I didn't like the hands, and the whole thing was very underwhelming. I might have kept this one if it'd had the original Samurai style hands.

large.20170222_204040.jpg.8a9e4770db982a0e32f0b76c6f1c1405.jpg

The second was a stainless steel baby tuna, which I had wanted for ages, but when it arrived, once again I didn't like the handset, and it looked too much like all the other tunas.

large.20180106_114918.jpg.db18183cc3d8e4cae63aef4670f8ee85.jpg

Not sure why Seiko insist on using that awful large arrow hour hand on their ProSpex models. Both were flipped within hours of arriving.

I struggled with all the Samurai, just don’t like the bezel and with the Tuna don’t like the casing they have around them, understand it’s purpose but not a fan, but I do like a lot of Seiko’s been hunting for years for the right Scubapro 450 

14 minutes ago, Haywood_Milton said:

Owned this for a short while, never loved it and sold it after a couple of years.

nQVBt3v.jpg

Interesting to see that Rolex UK themselves refer to it on the paperwork here as "Paul Newman dial" rather than "exotic," which was their traditional name.

H

Certainly, looking at it, a clear mix of styles

Rolex Daytona and it was my grail for a long time.

3ish years ago I was in the very fortunate position of being able to afford (pre-ceramic) one but once I picked it up and put it on the wrist I was completely underwhelmed :sorry:

Couldn’t put my finger on it but apart from feeling small it just didn’t wow me and it didn’t feel special.  I was a bit gutted to be honest but hey ho I picked up a polar explorer for half the price. 

• Like 1

People are going to start sharpening the pitchforks when I mention this one... but here goes

The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch.

omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional

I went into the AD to buy this watch as I have admired the look, and the history of this watch for ages. Look at it what's not to love???

but I put it on and....nothing, no fizz, no tingle, no nothing.

There will be people that can't understand why my wrist didn't like this watch, and I am one of those people that doesn't understand why my wrist doesn't like this watch.

Do I need to start running?:rip_1:

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Do I need to start running?

No, I feel exactly the same, and prefer my Poljot chrono, and it has absolutely nothing to do with price. Another I lusted after was a Panerai Radiomir, which sat on my wrist like a carbuncle.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

No, I feel exactly the same, and prefer my Poljot chrono, and it has absolutely nothing to do with price. Another I lusted after was a Panerai Radiomir, which sat on my wrist like a carbuncle.

I am glad I'm not the only one, at least I'll have a running partner when the Omega fan club members start chasing with pitchforks :biggrin:

• Haha 2
Just now, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I'll have a running partner when the Omega fan club members start chasing with pitchforks :biggrin:

You'll need more than a running partner...

:tongue:

• Haha 1

Many, including the moonwalk (i prefer the reduced)

Rolex day date  and Daytona

Longines 1967 Chronograph - too shiny and too bulky

Tudor heritage chronograph- too bulky

Longines legend diver - looks great but the lugs are too long

Almost all new Bulova watches

Seiko Presage enamel limited edition - no fizz in the trousers here.

But others have positively surprised me.  Ebel watches, VC Overseas and the AP Royal Oak.  Piaget are outstanding and in the more reserved designs excellent VFM.  Seiko SARB, Seagull 1963 chronographs, older Certina, rolex polar explorer, American pocket watches from Waltham and Elgin

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

But others have positively surprised me.  Ebel watches, VC Overseas and the AP Royal Oak.  Piaget are outstanding and in the more reserved designs excellent VFM.  Seiko SARB, Seagull 1963 chronographs, older Certina, rolex polar explorer, American pocket watches from Waltham and Elgin

Totally agree, although I have no experience of AP Royal Oak other than staring at one on a train once, gold chronograph, I may have drooled a little.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, GASHEAD said:

I remember trying on the old Omega Planet Ocean with the orange bezel in an AD and thinking it felt like a cheap fake from the looky looky man.

I had a similar experience I bought a fake PO with the orange bezel, someone at work had a real one, there wasn’t a great deal of difference. Well there would have been inside 

Off the top of my head

Tudor Heritage Chrono. Looks great but too thick

Longines Hydroconquest Chrono.....see above

Tudor North Flag. I actually like the watch but the strap is just tacky....just feels flimsy

Any Breitling with their rubber strap...the Longines rubber is far superior 

I agree with the above Speedmaster comment...the black dial just doesn’t do it for me...luckily there’s plenty of different ones! 

Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Tried it at the same time as buying my Speedmaster Racing, don’t get me wrong it’s a nice watch, but it just felt like Rolex had skimped on everything....you knew that you were buying their entry level watch, and it felt like Rolex wanted you to know....at £4500 that’s not good. 

Oh and the Oris big crown pointer...,love the dial but it just feels a bit too light and flimsy for my taste.....and I cant get over that horrible red movement......it’s one watch that shouldn’t have a display case back! 

Edited by WickerBill
  • Like 1

Lots of watches I don't like in the photos or on the wrist.

Major disappointments on the wrist which I thought I should like a lot . . . .

1. Bought this after loving my Flieger. It looked great on the screen, but was uncomfortable on my wrist.

lohQHSw.jpg

It was a personal thing. Sold it to @Boots after making sure he had the chance to try it on. I think he was happy, and may still have it.

2. Also a comfort thing: the Breguet Marine. I think it may be the relatively long L2L, but an object which was undeniably gorgeous in the hand did not feel good on the wrist. So, I passed.

iWfgT8k.jpg

3. Perhaps the most surprising . . .

I had lusted for a couple of years over this . . .

dwXGqQw.jpg (photo ALS website)

. . . . but, once I found an excuse to buy one, I found it austere (and with a slightly disjointed design) when I tried it on  --  and, once you have seen that the two digits in the date are not in the same plane (hence the separator bar), you cannot "unsee" it.

This experience was a godsend in some ways, as I discovered I liked this . . .

CtANG5u.jpg

. . . so much better  --  and the saving funded the beginning of my plunge into WISery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, yokel said:

the Breguet Marine. I think it may be the relatively long L2L, but an object which was undeniably gorgeous in the hand did not feel good on the wrist

What a stunning dial! a shame it didn't feel right on the wrist, the lugs look quite 'brutish'

I see what you mean about the Lange date not being quite right, once pointed out, never unseen.

41 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

What a stunning dial! a shame it didn't feel right on the wrist, the lugs look quite 'brutish'

I see what you mean about the Lange date not being quite right, once pointed out, never unseen.

A bit like the appendage at 12 o cock on the speedy 

• Haha 1

This is an interesting post to say the least!

Some big names and surprising models have made the $hit list. Unfortunately I do have to agree with quite a few of them though, speedy, Daytona, North Flag amongst others.

I tried a Submariner on couple of years back and almost stop wearing watches altogether! The shop assistant panicked and said 'maybe today is not the right day to shop watches your not in the right mood'. I was deeply disappointed after putting it on, even though the watch looked stunning and so iconic just wasn't for me.

• Like 3

The number of times I have bought a watch off the bay, only say 300-500, loved it in the pictures, the minute I open the box to wrist the level of disappointment rises, and then an empty feeling and straight back on the bay, done this with 2 Oris and 3 CW’s to be fair only lost a few quid over the time. 

Very often the disappointment has been a learning experience for me. Sometimes what I thought I liked...I didn't;

Pretty much every Hamilton I've tried, or indeed owned. Nope. Felt no love at all.  Ditto Tissots - even the heritage models - looked good, tried on in shop, bought, then sold. Ahem...all Seikos I've ever owned...:whistle:...very nice, but just...no.  Sorry.  Also dials that looked clean and crisp that ended up being dull, especially with polished silver hands that you can't see if the reflection hits them in the right (wrong) place. :thumbdown: I had a Longines Conquest with a ceramic bezel like that - it had to go;

large.1338574251_P1020783(800x602).jpg.016ca00c287d300cf83545a3630c98c5.jpg

Or what I thought I should like, but just left me cold. eg Seikos :whistle:.  I've owned one Omega and tried a few on for size in ADs, but simply no fizz with any model. Don't know why. 

The original Tudor BBs felt like metal ingots strapped to me wrist. I want a watch I can love, not a weight training device. :laugh: Even the BB58s, which are more my kind of thing just don't do it for me.  The new blue one is very nice, except I cannot stand the snowflake hands. I keep telling myself that I must be wrong and surely should love it, but no...I can't :sorry:

And Longines Heritage models that for one reason or another just don't quite do it for me, even though I feel I should like them.  Perhaps too much like the originals, too un-re-imagined :hmmm9uh:?

• Like 1