Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tudor bb58 blue or seamaster blue??!!


Recommended Posts

I've had this in my head now for a long time. My favourite colour is Blue I've longed for the seamaster (new wave dial) which I can get for £3300 new i also like the bb58 blue at £2800. So for £500 is it worth going the extra for the seamaster. A big thing for me is residuals as in 3 years i hope to upgrade to a rolex sub

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want a Rolex Sub .... then why not just save for one and in the meantime wear a Seiko.... The new Omegas are superior watches to the Rolex Submariner. The movement is superior , the bracelet is

Interesting, because I have both. The power reserve doesn't concern me. The one with the eta movement is the most accurate watch I own, possibly luck, the COSC movement runs +2 seconds/24 hours. I had

Oooh  --  a bit of light touch moderation  --  I like it Sir.   As someone who is pretty unimpressed with "divers" of all sorts (and who would definitely take off a DSSD before washing up),

If you want a Rolex Sub .... then why not just save for one and in the meantime wear a Seiko.... The new Omegas are superior watches to the Rolex Submariner. The movement is superior , the bracelet is superior , the case is more sculpted.... Its completely illogical to me to spend £3300 on a very nice watch ,,, only in a couple of years to upgrade to an inferior, overpriced watch !?!?

Sorry, buts its just daft to me.... Buy the Seamster and enjoy it , they are awesome watches..... The Sub is for old duffers .... [ hides ]

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an origonal Black Bay 58 & while it is a great watch, it doesn't really compare with the seamaster, they are totally different watches. The seamaster is technically superior to the submariner, however I  would  not agree that it is as aesthetically pleasing & value retention is not in the same league at least currently of either the blackbay 8 or the submariner. I would however agree with Jonnyoldboy that you would probably better off waiting & buying the submariner when you can afford it. The reason for this  is you just get on the slippery slope and end up buying something else. Just my two pennies worth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Col81 said:

The amount of time it will take me to save £10k (doubt could ever get one at list) it would be £12k

Sorry but this yearning for an ordinary mass produced watch at that price is less than splendid .... Stainless steel is as cheap as chips. The rest of it is not bespoke or artisan, its just mass produced. No Gold, No Platinum, Why would anyone who is not minted anyway spend £10k on a watch worth about £4.5K...... The Omega is so much better.

Why did I not mention the tudor !? Because its not as good as the Omega.

I just do not understand the tug towards buying things for over twice what they are worth !?!?

 

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Col81 said:

The amount of time it will take me to save £10k (doubt could ever get one at list) it would be £12k

This is true.

Rollie RRPs have been heading for the skies for years and continue to do so (it's not just Rolex, of course), and availability is, as we know, a function of waiting lists for many models.

I don't have the money for any of these options, nor am I likely to, so what do I know. However, my problem with all this is how comfortable will you be wearing a £10k (or whatever price it turns out to be) watch, outside of very special occasions, on the street, in public? Are you buying a safe queen?

The BB58 on a strap is £2.5k RRP, which seems very good VFM and not so much that your home insurance will demand a professionally-fitted safe to keep it in in order to cover it.

But nothing beats trying them on the wrist to compare. I've always been surprised what a difference this can make however good or indifferent things look in photos.

 

12 hours ago, WickerBill said:

Omega, tudors great for the price but the seamaster is far superior

Mmmm :hmmm9uh:It rather depends what you look for in a watch.  If you want 'far superior', get a PP, AP or VC, if you can afford something from the holy trinity.  For most 'ordinary people' Rolex is as much about status as it is about quality and honestly the difference between Tudor, Omega and Rolex 'quality', like for like, may be more to do with the logo on the dial as anything.  But perception is reality, so fill your boots with what you like and enjoy :thumbsup: You pays your money and you takes your choice. :yes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Mmmm :hmmm9uh:It rather depends what you look for in a watch.  If you want 'far superior', get a PP, AP or VC, if you can afford something from the holy trinity.  For most 'ordinary people' Rolex is as much about status as it is about quality and honestly the difference between Tudor, Omega and Rolex 'quality', like for like, may be more to do with the logo on the dial as anything.  But perception is reality, so fill your boots with what you like and enjoy :thumbsup: You pays your money and you takes your choice. :yes:

I was just purely comparing like for like between the BB58 and the 300M. 
 

the 300M has better diving capabilities, helium escape valve, ceramic bezel, display case back, coax with longer servicing intervals, silicone hairspring so a magnetic. 
 

thats not to say the BB58 is a bad watch, it’s not! It’s an amazing piece, but if you compare it directly to The 300M it comes off second best technically 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it would have to be the Seamaster.

Would have a Seamaster over a Tudor BB any day, personally prefer the Seamaster to the Submariner and taking into the price difference just think of what other watches you could buy with that!

Omeaga all the way.

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

I was just purely comparing like for like between the BB58 and the 300M. 
 

the 300M has better diving capabilities, helium escape valve, ceramic bezel, display case back, coax with longer servicing intervals, silicone hairspring so a magnetic. 
 

thats not to say the BB58 is a bad watch, it’s not! It’s an amazing piece, but if you compare it directly to The 300M it comes off second best technically 

I see your point, although the in-house Calibre MT5402 movement in the BB58 is a COSC certified movement with a silicone variable inertia balance spring (so anti-magnetic) with a bi-directional rotor providing a 70-hour power reserve (only 55 hours on the Seamaster). It also has an automatic 5-year guarantee.

Not sure how many people actually go diving in a situation where you need a helium escape value.  The 300m is 42mm diameter, whereas the BB58 is 39mm, which might make more of a difference to some people.

Personally I don't like snowflake hands (and neither the Seamaster hands for that matter), so it's not for me (even if I were in the market for either), but I can see why the BB58 sells so well.

I still say anyone contemplating these needs to try them on because specs can only tell you so much. :thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Seamaster and a Tudor Black Bay and whilst they're both older models than you mention they wear hugely differently on the wrist.

You should really try them both on if you can because it could well be a deciding factor. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Omega because it will appeal to a wider audience if you do need to sell to fund a sub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I see your point, although the in-house Calibre MT5402 movement in the BB58 is a COSC certified movement with a silicone variable inertia balance spring (so anti-magnetic) with a bi-directional rotor providing a 70-hour power reserve (only 55 hours on the Seamaster). It also has an automatic 5-year guarantee.

I still say anyone contemplating these needs to try them on because specs can only tell you so much. :thumbsup:

Completely agree with your point about the movement. It’s a HUGE improvement from their ETA based ones in the past. If I remember correctly it’s shared with Breitling in the B01 and is probably one of the best movements out there in terms of giving the customer what they want/need. 
 

I’ve often contemplated getting a Tudor for the movement alone....just not found a watch that clicks with me 100% yet...I was really hoping the new BB58 blue was going to be a big step forwards in terms of ceramic bezel and a bit of a design change but it’s underwhelmed me a bit. 
 

as you say people need to try these things on, they are both great watches and everyone has their own opinions and needs 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I see your point, although the in-house Calibre MT5402 movement in the BB58 is a COSC certified movement with a silicone variable inertia balance spring (so anti-magnetic) with a bi-directional rotor providing a 70-hour power reserve (only 55 hours on the Seamaster). It also has an automatic 5-year guarantee.

 

1 hour ago, WickerBill said:

It’s a HUGE improvement from their ETA based ones in the past. I

Interesting, because I have both. The power reserve doesn't concern me. The one with the eta movement is the most accurate watch I own, possibly luck, the COSC movement runs +2 seconds/24 hours. I had problems with the COSC Tudor, and it was put right to my great satisfaction inside a month, something I have never experienced with any high value Swatch brand, maybe bad luck. At the end of the day, it's down to personal taste, and what you want to spend.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I had problems with the COSC Tudor, and it was put right to my great satisfaction inside a month, something I have never experienced with any high value Swatch brand, maybe bad luck.

Interesting, because I've heard there have been some quality issues with Tudors - only anecdotal you understand - but not the first time I've heard this. :hmmm9uh: Nothing's perfect mind, the co-axial movements have had their problems in the past and several other brands have had well publicised issues.

The most accurate watch I've ever owned is an Oris with a non-COSC SW200-1 Sellita in it; an amazing +/- 1 second a week depending on how I kept it overnight, so for all intents spot on accurate. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Crazy how the prices have moved 18 months ago the outgoing smp was £2350 now they are £3k second hand. I want a watch and pay it off over a couple of years then upgrade. So the key is residuals I can still get a harrods tudor at £2800 new maybe this is a better bet. The seamaster has rocketed in price new and going out my league

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 23:25, JonnyOldBoy said:

 Why would anyone who is not minted anyway spend £10k on a watch worth about £4.5K...... The Omega is so much better.

 

I agree with the sentiment but if the market says its worth £10k you can't claim it to be worth £4.5k.   Maybe it's comparable to a watch of that price but the Rolex's typically appreciate in value not based on how good they are but on supply and demand and brand image. 

 

My advice is buy the Omega and stick with it... Long term you won't lose your shirt but I'd avoid short-term flips.  

The sub offers little value as a watch guy but as an investment is probably sound. 

If you are just looking for investments maybe gold has better liquidity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the look of the blue Tudor Black Bay 58 over the Omega SMP but prefer the 42mm diameter of the Omega (The BB 58 is only 39mm)

I also prefer the price of the Tudor at £2,760 as against £4,170 for the Omega

So I am sat on the fence

If Tudor did the 41mm Black Bay with a blue dial that would be my choice

 

On 13/07/2020 at 22:37, RTM Boy said:

Interesting, because I've heard there have been some quality issues with Tudors - only anecdotal you understand - but not the first time I've heard this. :hmmm9uh: Nothing's perfect mind, the co-axial movements have had their problems in the past and several other brands have had well publicised issues.

I read some reports of a few people who had problems with the Tudor when the new movement was first introduced, but then again so did Omga when the brought out the coaxial.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...