• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Breitling Avenger Blackbird overpriced?

Out of the many nice Breitlings for some reason or other i like this one from of the Avenger range, the avenger blackbird, thing is some people say its way overpriced, now i know we can say that about loads of watches but one of the reasons was that its got a ETA 2824 movement, that might not mean much to me but it also dosnt have any distinguishing features apart from it being  titanium, dosnt stop me liking it though, prices vary, is this one of the more obvious cases of paying for a name.

Breitling Avenger II Blackbird Men's Fabric Strap Watch - Product number 3518442

9 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Out of the many nice Breitlings for some reason or other i like this one from of the Avenger range, the avenger blackbird, thing is some people say its way overpriced, now i know we can say that about loads of watches but one of the reasons was that its got a ETA 2824 movement, that might not mean much to me but it also dosnt have any distinguishing features apart from it being  titanium, dosnt stop me liking it though, prices vary, is this one of the more obvious cases of paying for a name.

Breitling Avenger II Blackbird Men's Fabric Strap Watch - Product number 3518442

2824-2 is a very good movement - the higher grades are very good, mine is the most accurate I have and it keeps well inside chronometer spec even though it has no certificate.  A Breitling fettled chronometer grade movement will be is accurate and robust as you like - and serviceable outside the dealership network if you prefer.  How much is it?  Ouch, well, DLC is really expensive lol.  No more overpriced than any other brand and less overpriced than some.  I like it - I presume the bezel is filled with black lume, that's expensive too.  If you can take it on IFC it would not seem so bad.

I'd buy a hobby car.

22 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

2824-2 is a very good movement - the higher grades are very good, mine is the most accurate I have and it keeps well inside chronometer spec even though it has no certificate.  A Breitling fettled chronometer grade movement will be is accurate and robust as you like - and serviceable outside the dealership network if you prefer.  How much is it?  Ouch, well, DLC is really expensive lol.  No more overpriced than any other brand and less overpriced than some.  I like it - I presume the bezel is filled with black lume, that's expensive too.  If you can take it on IFC it would not seem so bad.

I'd buy a hobby car.

Prices vary wildly, goldsmiths has them at £3,900, but others have them well below £3000, the black lume is very distinct in bright sunlight!:tongue:

6 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

It’s difficult on black watches to have a metal strap, always felt they looked wrong. 

I had a late 1970's Porsche Design Orfina chronograph with a black metal bracelet, looked the business! (Not mine below, pic from the internet)

Porsche-Chrono1-1-1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

It’s difficult on black watches to have a metal strap, always felt they looked wrong. 

anyone hands on with one, I like a heavy watch and wonder if this is light on the wrist

Yes, I've handled one. It's lighter than steel of course, so if you like a heavy watch this one probably isn't for you.

If you can find one, the Mechanical Victorinox Dive Master in DLC is a beautiful alternative. I owned one, and regret letting it go tbh. It's steel, and while not prohibitively heavy, you know you're wearing it :biggrin:

3 hours ago, JoT said:

I had a late 1970's Porsche Design Orfina chronograph with a black metal bracelet, looked the business! (Not mine below, pic from the internet)

Porsche-Chrono1-1-1.jpg

That does look nice

On 13/07/2020 at 19:10, Nick Parr 1977 said:

anyone hands on with one, I like a heavy watch and wonder if this is light on the wrist

Obviously because titanium is one of its traits its lightweight, but how light i wouldnt know, i too like to feel something on my wrist but i could overlook that easily with this one.