• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi everyone,

what is your opinion on the Doxa sub 200? I’m due a small bonus and a promotion in the next month and have decided to treat myself to a watch. I’m willing to stretch the budget to around the £1000 mark hence my consideration of the Doxa. I’ve known about the promotion and bonus for a little while now so have spent some time thinking of my options. I already have a Breitling colt which I’ve had for a couple of years now and consider that my best watch. I want something which is automatic, slightly smaller than my colt which is 44mm and something which has good WR so I can wear it in pools/sea etc carefree.

I really like the look of the beads of rice bracelet and the dial colour options available on the sub 200. Does anyone own this watch and can comment on it?

thanks guys!

stay safe 

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just because I like the watch - here you are suitably edited   

Please delete this thread immediately ! Having said no more dive watches am now looking at a sub 300 T - you should be ashamed of yourselves folks 

Don't get one, terrible watches  OK mine is a Sub 300 not a 300T but you get the drift!

Posted Images

Doxa - was good enough for Jacques Cousteau, so what's not to like? :thumbs_up:

The Sub 200 upset some Doxa purists for being too accessible :huh: but has had a very good reception from the wider WIS (Worn & Wound, Hodinkee, A Blog to Watch, etc).  Nice wide choice of colours I think too - something for everyone. 42mm wide but only slightly more lug-to-lug because of the semi-cushion case design, so should be comfortable and according to those who've had it, they say it is.  The beads of rice bracelet seems to be good quality too.  ETA 2824-2 movement, so should be sound.

If I had the spare £££, I'd be very tempted by the Divingstar (yellow) version because it seems to be good VFM.  Not much in that price bracket of that style these days.

• Like 3

I have several Doxa watches and have owned several more, they are all well made and other than the first one I bought in the early days of the brand's resurrection, which had to go back for a repair all have been good.

Last year Doxa made significant changes, the rather clunky management of the company which was largely USA based was changed and the management is now firmly Swiss based and reportedly under the guidance of the Jenny family who have put a Swiss CEO in place.

The changes in my opinion are welcome as Doxa were online sales only and had a reputation of erratic customer service. They now sell via UK dealers which is welcome (Jura, James Porter, AMJ, CW Sellors).

The Sub 200 is their entry level watch which was introduced after the changes, I haven't seen anything bad written about it, I don't own one but have seen one and it looked pretty good to me and you aren't going to find many people wearing one. The beads of rice bracelets are well made and a good modern upgrade of the original.

Here's my first Doxa, a Sub 600T Divingstar one of only 100 made issued soon after the brand was resurrected

large.PC150351.JPG.9f67085375f9acb4267174f8c5afcf63.JPG

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

Please delete this thread immediately !

Having said no more dive watches am now looking at a sub 300 T - you should be ashamed of yourselves folks :laughing2dw:

Don't get one, terrible watches :laughing2dw: OK mine is a Sub 300 not a 300T but you get the drift!

large.P3150380.JPG.1afae5488d100a39a605b88d95e07506.JPG

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, JoT said:

Don't get one, terrible watches :laughing2dw: OK mine is a Sub 300 not a 300T but you get the drift!

yeah - looks rubbish :thumbsup:

so what difference does the 'T' make ??? :hmmm9uh:

3 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

yeah - looks rubbish :thumbsup:

so what difference does the 'T' make ??? :hmmm9uh:

The Sub300 was a "vintage" lookalike, It's a couple of mm smaller and thinner, there's a domed crystal to make it look like plexiglass and I think the 300T has a 1200m water resistance

6 minutes ago, JoT said:

The Sub300 was a "vintage" lookalike, It's a couple of mm smaller and thinner, there's a domed crystal to make it look like plexiglass and I think the 300T has a 1200m water resistance

i love depth ratings. cant be too careful - my bedroom less than 3 m from the bathroom. 

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered the Caribbean dial version. As much as I like the other versions I think they are possibly a little too vibrant for me. Now I have to play the waiting game until it arrives! 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Jason89 said:

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered the Caribbean dial version. As much as I like the other versions I think they are possibly a little too vibrant for me. Now I have to play the waiting game until it arrives! 

Congratulations :)

I didn't like them when they were first announced but they are growing on me.

I still think you can't beat a 300 :tongue:

50080319152_eb625e7e19_c.jpg

• Like 4

Congratulations on your bonus/promotions.

I'm actually thinking about adding one to my collection - although that's probably next year.

When they first came out I didn't see the point - and thought they should have issued it as a Jenny - I mean they don't have the iconic cushion shaped case - or even the midget hour hand.....

....however, I've recently had a change of heart. 

Apparently its based on a 'pre-Sub' model they did known as the 11804 and the more I look at it the more I like it. It may not have the iconic shaped case - but IMHO its pretty nice and probably more sensibly sized for everyday wear.

My only problem is what colour? I think the start off for Doxa's is Orange - but I think the 11804 may actually pre-date that - so Black is probably more historically accurate.

Having sad that I think the Diving Star Yellow - and the Aquamarine are really nice too. 

I'll probably end up with Doxa orange still though.

The only things I've heard against them is the lume isn't brilliant - especially on the bezel. 

But even so - I'm still rather keen on it. 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong ... they are fabulous watches. To hold, look at, and on the wrist. Quality is extremely good for the ticket price.... It's just whenever I see one, I think "Playmobil" ,,,, not sure why.

• Haha 2

From the many reviews that I've read and YouTube reviews I have seen the lume does appear to be a little lack lustre. Fortunately in my case I'm not going to be doing any real diving and as a general rule I don't tend to wear watches to bed so I can forgive the poor lume. 

The main positives for me (my mind may change when I receive the watch) are the brand heritage, the unique bracelet and fingers crossed the quality.

I wanted something that is a little different and not quite so common and I think the sub 200 fits the bill. I'm hoping that this doesn't unleash a fascination with Doxa and a subsequent bankrupt scenario but I've got a feeling it might :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Jason89 said:

The Caribbean blue is really nice, good choice

Hi guys,

So to my surprise the watch had arrived! Much faster than anticipated but I'm not complaining.

The watch at first inspection is great, I love the Jenny fish on the crown and the dial is really nice. The BoR bracelet is great - however, it is a little large and now my challenge is to resize it.

In my unprofessional opinion I need to remove 3 links . The links appear to have screws, can anyone offer any advice/guidance on how to resize? 

Thanks in advance 

If it is the same as mine you will need a small watchmaker's screwdriver

Try a screw, if they are tight don't force it, run the bracelet under hot water or use a hair dryer and try again

Be careful you don't slip with the screwdriver and scratch the polished edge

If the pin screws out easily it's a 5 minute job

If you are taking out an odd number you will need to decide which side to take the most from, personally I always take more out of the 6 side

When you put the screws back in make sure they screw in easily, if not you might be in danger of crossing the thread

Don't overtighten

Good luck!

A slotted watch bracelet block would help keep it in position while you tinker

Just an explanation about the hair dryer, there's a bit of loctite or similar on the thread and warming softens it

14 hours ago, Jason89 said:

I've tried to upload some photos, I used to use photobucket but that appears to charge now so have had a go utilising Flickr. Looks like its just a link tho :hmmm9uh:

If you use Taptalk then you can upload photos no problem - that's what I do 

13 hours ago, JoT said:

Just because I like the watch - here you are suitably edited :laugh:

50115840456_976e9de5c3_o.jpg

That does look nice. 

Be interesting to hear how you get on with it, how you find the bezel action - and of course what you think of the lume :yes:

3 hours ago, KAS118 said:

If you use Taptalk then you can upload photos no problem - that's what I do 

That does look nice. 

Be interesting to hear how you get on with it, how you find the bezel action - and of course what you think of the lume :yes:

Thanks ill have a look into Taptalk for future reference.

As far as the lume goes, in the short space of time I have owned it I cant say i'm disappointed. I think the main reason being that from the Youtube reviews and written reviews I knew what I was getting myself into buying the watch. I admit that its far from the best lume I have seen but lume is not a deal breaker for me. The bezel is aesthetically very pleasing to look at and is a little more effort to turn than some people may hope. In my opinion I like the rigidness of it, I like to think of it as "over engineered."

all being said, the BoR bracelet is very comfortable, the watch has a nice weight to it, I like the addition of the divers extension (even though I am not a diver) and the overall design to me strikes a chord. The watch gives me the feeling that I can wear it in any environment and it can handle it with the bonus of looking good.

I consider myself someone who was intrigued by Doxa as a brand but didn't want to spend the big bucks so to speak, the sub 200 is a great watch for satisfying that need and has a certain charm about it.

For anyone who is tempted by it all I can say is that the multiple Youtube reviews pretty much hit the nail on the head.  

• Like 3
On 16/07/2020 at 10:38, Jason89 said:

Thanks ill have a look into Taptalk for future reference.

As far as the lume goes, in the short space of time I have owned it I cant say i'm disappointed. I think the main reason being that from the Youtube reviews and written reviews I knew what I was getting myself into buying the watch. I admit that its far from the best lume I have seen but lume is not a deal breaker for me. The bezel is aesthetically very pleasing to look at and is a little more effort to turn than some people may hope. In my opinion I like the rigidness of it, I like to think of it as "over engineered."

all being said, the BoR bracelet is very comfortable, the watch has a nice weight to it, I like the addition of the divers extension (even though I am not a diver) and the overall design to me strikes a chord. The watch gives me the feeling that I can wear it in any environment and it can handle it with the bonus of looking good.

I consider myself someone who was intrigued by Doxa as a brand but didn't want to spend the big bucks so to speak, the sub 200 is a great watch for satisfying that need and has a certain charm about it.

For anyone who is tempted by it all I can say is that the multiple Youtube reviews pretty much hit the nail on the head.  

Remember to post some more photos in the Doxa Owners Club section of this forum https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/120849-doxa-owners-club/

On 15/07/2020 at 15:59, Jason89 said:

I've tried to upload some photos, I used to use photobucket but that appears to charge now so have had a go utilising Flickr. Looks like its just a link tho :hmmm9uh:

If you use the Flickr app, select the photo you want to post. One of the icons under the photo is share - on iPhone it's the furthest right, on Android its third from left. Select "copy URL" and paste the link into your post here. It should automatically embed.

On a PC it's the second icon.

Edited by spinynorman
On 13/07/2020 at 16:00, Jason89 said:

so I can wear it in pools/sea etc carefree.

[curmudgeon mode]

Carefree is good  --  I think.

Unfortunately, I'm not. I wouldn't so much as wash up in a £1000 watch  --  no matter what it said on the dial.

[/curmudgeon mode]

Really nice choice of watch though  --  enjoy.  And congratulations on the promotion :thumbsup:

• Like 1