• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tuesday Timepieces 14.07.20

Cassie-O

2 hours ago, horologicallyChallenged said:

I'll be doing a proper thread for this when I can take not aweful pictures of it but todays watch is my freshly home made skx0058 no prizes for spotting the inspiration behind this one.

Its actually my first build and i am super happy with how it turned out, unfortunately due to my woeful photography you cant really make out the beautiful meteorite dial.

50111318812_7a2232a99e_z.jpg

Hi,

Would love to read a thread on this and how you got on. I've got a Sea Urchin bought for the purpose of modding but haven't got round to it yet.

Plans are a very similar bezel insert (love the red triangle at 12), skeleton hands with red tip second hand both from DLW and a flat saphire to finish it off, oh and realine the chapter ring whilst I'm at it.

Would be great to hear how you found it, it will be my first time having a bash at modding. Any tips, tools, advise etc greatly appreciated.

Where did you get that strap? really like it.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Raymond Spanks said:

Hi,

Would love to read a thread on this and how you got on. I've got a Sea Urchin bought for the purpose of modding but haven't got round to it yet.

Plans are a very similar bezel insert (love the red triangle at 12), skeleton hands with red tip second hand both from DLW and a flat saphire to finish it off, oh and realine the chapter ring whilst I'm at it.

Would be great to hear how you found it, it will be my first time having a bash at modding. Any tips, tools, advise etc greatly appreciated.

Where did you get that strap? really like it.

Cheers

Thread incoming but probably not until next month when i can get hold of a camera for the up close shots.

Besel insert is the bb58 from namoki, they're very easy to get right provided you do them last so you can line it up with the watch face properly.

I used dlw hands and would not recommend them due to the very lack luster lume, especially if you have superluminova or c3 on your dial i would look at a guy called "dial maker" on facbook as hes just started doing super lume hands.

For chapter ring alignment check out watch and learn #46 on long island watches YouTube channel.

Other than that get a decent press for the crystal and make sure you get a couple of spare gaskets and some silicon grease  i recommend the 300m ones fron seikomods.com.

Get a scrap movement and hands to practice on as i absolutely ruined the first set i tried it with!

The strap is a crown and buckle chevron.

• Thanks 1

NEXT!!...

ALMIRANTE Navegante (CrepasTactico Group, Spain) SEIKO Cal. NH38A,  24 Jewels

&

Eichmüller  7930-03, Miyota cal.8215 21 Jewels

794258018_Almirante--Eichmuller-DSC_0104.thumb.gif.91b42d46409d41258262a3b2d6a3055d.gif

:biggrin:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roxyben said:

Looks class that, think I may be in the market for a watch that shape soon.

Yeah, I like the shape too, I just wish they had made it slightly smaller lug to lug.

Although can't really grumble, got it (and it's Rose gold partner) at a good price on a ebay auction, this one was £131 and the Rose Gold was £105.

Also have another Rotary similar shape, but it's is smaller and a better fit, it'll be on the wrist in a few days.

Final pair from me...

LIMIT 5631 (quartz) & STOWA (Marine), Unitas cal.6498 17 jewels,  Unitas cal.6498  17 jewels.

:biggrin:

7 hours ago, Igerswis said:

Trying to keep my watches away from this little thing:

ad0f30fc60e5c6825774354f0352a7c4.jpeg

I`m not a fan of Casios (or any similar digital watches for that matter, excellent watches though they no doubt are) but that kitten is well cute :thumbs_up:

• Like 2

change of strap for a more vintage feel this evening:

50112662557_3ae59d6a27_z.jpg

I'm glad it looks good after all the hassel i had to go through to get spring bars for it...

50111871828_9879ca1b0b_z.jpg

For those that are interested the strap is a strapcode tapered mesh in polished finish and the spring bars are 1.78mm with 1.1mm chunky ends and had to be imported from the US from the only seller on ebay that makes them, fortunatley despite basiclly cornering the market they are not taking the mick with the prices.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Roger said:

My first watch..   Xmas 1957....still running fine.

2years back I took it too a watchmaker for sevice...he laughed and said  "its a throwaway toy and not worth my time"large.Hoppy1.jpg.7a603316a47c51c0aec75fac56530780.jpglarge.Hoppy2.jpg.1de96fa8fcfe9f068ea9de55363a5e6a.jpg

This is really cool. I'd have gone mad if I had been in your situation, presumably there is sentimental value and you want to look after it. Hope it keeps running for many more years.