• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I read recently (can't remember where, sadly) from a watch repairer that watch winders are a bad idea due to the wearing parts down unnecessarily. He said that winding the watch once a month was enough to keep the oil circulated.

I also don't see the point of a winder from the 'grab & go' perspective, as if you haven't worn the watch for, say, a few weeks, it's likely not very accurate anyway.

Just an opinion that I read and happen to agree with.

Since reading said advice I've swpnt a minute winding my lesser worn mechanicals occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 20+ watches and no watch winder, I wind manually when I need to and if a watch hasn't been worn for a few weeks I give it a wind or shake and let it run for a while. Some argue that a wind

The cube style don’t take up that much space especially if you stack them: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a watch dog

Posted Images

Probably no different to wearing every day, my LV rarely winds down to a stop as it’s been pretty much my daily watch 24/7, fifteen or so years on and one service later which it probably didn’t really need and it doesn’t miss a beat.

That being said years ago I was tempted with a couple of these and when I see the asking price now I should have bought a bag full of them.

50128371368_51b8fc1cb4_b.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Igerswis said:

The cube style don’t take up that much space especially if you stack them:

b40ced891d9e72c1f0382436aeeaf483.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great @Igerswis! Bet they look mesmerising when they are all spinning! Is the dog the guardian of the watches! How old is your dog, what breed? I have just got a dog as of last week, a little cocker cross. She's been ace so far! 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

That looks great @Igerswis! Bet they look mesmerising when they are all spinning! Is the dog the guardian of the watches! How old is your dog, what breed? I have just got a dog as of last week, a little cocker cross. She's been ace so far! 

That’s a watch dog:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just make sure your winders are at least upright, or at the least at a slight angle. The famous scene from the MCU film 'Dr. Strange' shows  him opening a drawer full of winders, but horizontally oriented. The film makers made a serious faux pas here. To operate correctly, a winder needs to be oriented either vertical, or no less than 45o. The winder relies on the weighted rotor hanging downwards in order to work. In effect, the watch revolves around the hanging rotor. Laid flat as in the scene from the film, the watch and rotor would revolve as one, given the slow rotation of most winders, and therefore wouldn't wind the watch.

That looks great [mention=9449]Igerswis[/mention]! Bet they look mesmerising when they are all spinning! Is the dog the guardian of the watches! How old is your dog, what breed? I have just got a dog as of last week, a little cocker cross. She's been ace so far! 

Yes they look great when winding. Used to be next to my bed in the UK as they ran quieter than the cheap Chinese versions. If your OCD they might annoy you though as they don’t all spin. Stop at the same time and the flashing leds aren’t all in sync!

I had three Pomeranians but they got given away last week. Ended up with a Persian kitten now:

9ec005318eaa33555ae4035c4bc0b0a9.jpg

Is it a Pom? 

Yes Pomeranian. All gone now:

dd69d14d7686e70ae03514c21dea899e.plist

• 3 months later...

I wear several watches during the day, I have space on the wonders for three of my watches, fourth is on the wrist.  I like the zen of watching them go round and round.

IMG_20201109_184410756.thumb.jpg.baaf653775d66c25ef09fdc7e5918d56.jpg

The day date auto is a pain to set, the Vostok is my action watch, so it needs to be ready for action, like my action slacks and my action slippers!