• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
DJJazzyJeff

Pointless features...

I’m sure this topic has been discussed many times, but ... whilst looking for something else I realised how much I dislike date windows that are extended, so you can see the date either side of today’s date - why?! (Example below)

There are many features that I like or don’t like, all of which I can see why they are there, but not this. Any other examples for you?

50115766032_8343f8eafe_b.jpg

Edit - having given it another 5 minutes of thought - I wonder if it’s so you know which way to wind the crown to advance the date? Still pointless though. 

Edited by DJJazzyJeff
  • Like 5

Yes, seeing three dates in the date window for me is totally pointless. I also hate the pointer date too. 

It does make it look a bit different and might help the odd person who sees the 15 and it registers that he/she should know something about that date - omg = nearly forgot our anniversary. :toot:

• Haha 2

Now i know these features work and allegedly have a purpose, but i often look at the Citizen rad arrows and think are these features actually used, no doubt some might say yes but i would imagine not many.

• Like 1

My big gripe are chronographs with dials which have incomplete chapter rings, makes them useless as a tool.

Depth ratings, bezels, moon phase, chronographs, gmt , tides , etc etc 

Three hander no date. All else is folly...:whistle:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JoT said:

My big gripe are chronographs with dials which have incomplete chapter rings, makes them useless as a tool.

Me too!!

Also think 30 minute and 60 minute chronographs are far less useful than a 12H.

Also agree with the OP about extended date windows.

Roger

Generally speaking, my poor little brain and eyes can't cope with too much complexity in a watch. I have quite a few chronographs and a few more complex watches but when it comes down to it, the watches I tend to wear feature just hours, minutes and seconds plus a simple date display.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Power Reserve indicators on watches with automatic movements.

Anything more than 200M water resistance.

Display backs on watches with bog-standard movements.

14 minutes ago, Roger said:

Me too!!

Also think 30 minute and 60 minute chronographs are far less useful than a 12H.

Also agree with the OP about extended date windows.

Roger

Even big names do it, this Zenith El Primero has 30 minute register subdial and continuous seconds subdial with a big chunk bitten out of them by the 12 hour register subdial. Function has been compromised by form

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJKGOdgaGHT8CAdx7tw 

2 minutes ago, JoT said:

Even big names do it, this Zenith El Primero has 30 minute register subdial and continuous seconds subdial with a big chunk bitten out of them by the 12 hour register subdial. Function has been compromised by form

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJKGOdgaGHT8CAdx7tw 

Yes..they should have done it like my much missed Rainbow

• Like 1

A "Compass" that is only a twisty chapter ring, and it gets twisted at every movement of your wrist.

large._N8Y7430.JPG.6a20cccf3eae5a6090a936b0634a6138.JPG

But, I like the watch apart from that.

• Like 2

I've got loads of watches with pointless features, what's wrong with that? :laughing2dw:  I buy all mine based on looks, not functionality. 

My 2 Bluetooth watches (G-Shock Carbon Core and Fossil Q Hybrid) can both work with a mobile phone app, and have loads of functions. I don't think they can be classed as "smart watches" though. I downloaded the Casio and Fossil software when I first bought them, had a quick look at what they did, then deleted them again.  The Fossil has got such tiny writing on the dial, I can't even read it with my glasses on :swoon:  But both watches look awesome, and that is enough for me.

I've got quite a few chronographs, including a Bulova Precisionist with a stopwatch that measures 1/1000th sec - Possibly the ultimate pointless function :laughing2dw:  I buy chronographs because they look nice, and I've never used any of them to time anything.  Same with alarms, I've got plenty of those, but never use that function because it's quicker and easier to set my phone alarm.

• Like 1

I had a edifice chrono which only measured up to 10 minutes. Absolutely useless to me. Need at least half an hour measurement! 

1 hour ago, Boots said:

A "Compass" that is only a twisty chapter ring, and it gets twisted at every movement of your wrist.

large._N8Y7430.JPG.6a20cccf3eae5a6090a936b0634a6138.JPG

But, I like the watch apart from that.

I totally agree with bezels that move too easily, but the compass bezel can be useful. 

If you point the hour hand at the sun, then imagine a line out from the centre of the watch bisecting the hour and minute hands - this line points to south, and you can line up the compass bezel for bearings. Obviously you should have a ‘proper’ compass if you’re in the hills, but could be of use to someone... and at night, or cloudy days you’re stuffed. 

24 minutes ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

... but could be of use to someone...

Yes! All those people who walk in straight lines!

this is a weird one on some of my KQs

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I really really dislike this as well, Gucci do it on their Dive watch, pointless. 

also watches with Barometers? ? ?

nOOOO -  BAROMETERS ARE GREAT if you are away on an expedition!  Advance warning of squalls and bad weather.  You can'r always get a signal to ask Google!

7 hours ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

I wonder if it’s so you know which way to wind the crown

It's so you know the date even at quarter past when the minute hand obscures the date.

4 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

my poor little brain and eyes can't cope with too much complexity in a watch

Doing a swap with the 'kids' this weekend - three of my chronographs for their old Hornby train sets! -  I used to be a firm chronograph wearer but now, as you say, it's all about legibility!

• Like 3

Day function! I know what day it is without having to check. This is especially ludicrous on a dive watch; has any diver ever in the history of diving been exploring the sea bed and suddenly thought "I wonder what day it is today"?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CB200 said:

Day function! I know what day it is without having to check. This is especially ludicrous on a dive watch; has any diver ever in the history of diving been exploring the sea bed and suddenly thought "I wonder what day it is today"?

I agree with the dive watch scenario, however I have been known to mix may days up, so it would stop me asking the question

Seiko / 7750 style day date displays where a truncated day is next to the date - totally unbalances the dial imho - day at 12 in full, date at 6 (or 3 if you must)

Open heart watches - makes it look like a cheap watch trying to look expensive.

Tourbillons - wonderful engineering, utterly pointless in a wrist watch -see above for looking a bit cheap.

Skeleton dials - just no.

Barnacle magnifiers - Iconic on a Rolex but ruin the 'toolness' of the watch by being an obvious point of failure - AP, UN and the like do it far better with embedded magnifiers.

I don;t mind a complicated watch design but it needs to be legible and functional - a navitimer is a good example of a good 'complex' dial, certain citizens an example of a bad one with features splattered all over the dial with no seeming coherence other than that's where the movement needs them to be for cost / manufacturing purposes.

11 hours ago, CB200 said:

Maybe the person who finds the day function useful also dose some diving and only feels the need to own one watch. 

3 hours ago, richy176 said:

Maybe the person who finds the day function useful also dose some diving and only feels the need to own one watch. 

Yeah, it was a bit tongue in cheek - most dive watches rarely get wet! Personally, I like a dive watch to have no superfluous features: Easily readable, lots of lume, unidirectional bezel, decent water resistance, time, seconds and maybe power reserve. Not many like that about :(

Come to think of it, saturation divers can spend up to four weeks in a compression tank. Maybe a day function would be handy after all. I take it all back. 

• Like 1