• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
KAS118

Cheap Mechanical Movements - Who Needs Quartz

I recently had my Lufbery Dragoon Trench Watch delivered.

Given that it was only £160, and 'only' uses a Seiko NH15, I really wasn't expecting it to be that accurate - but wow, how wrong was I.

As can be seen from the screenshot from the WatchTracker App; its ended up as having a 'Best-Fit' accuracy of -0.13 secs/day and a Total Rate over 13.4 days of -0.38secs per day.

OK, I accept that I'm probably very lucky, and sure Quartz are still more accurate and more consistent - but I'm highly impressed with it!!!

ce0d6ed32b817b609315682877cb5cc0.jpg

• Like 1

In my experience with Seiko movements it is the luck of the draw, I have had very accurate watches out of the box, watches which I have been able to regulate to similar performance as yours and watches where the best I could do was 8 to 10 seconds.

Who needs a quartz? We all do ..... any excuse for a few extra watches :laugh:

• Haha 4

While I can understand the drive to accuracy I never really understood it in the context of mechanical movements. If I want or need ultimate accuracy I'll wear an apple or GPS watch (https://www.lifewire.com/apple-watch-the-most-accurate-timepiece-156700) or just use my phone.

My left wrist is reserved for small mechanical pieces of art that have the bonus of being able to vaguely tell the time to within a few seconds accuracy. I rarely wear them for more than 2 or so days straight so they run down and I have to set them again anyway next time I wear one. :laugh:

That's just me though obviously, If you happen to be an accuracy geek then have at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julian2002 said:

While I can understand the drive to accuracy I never really understood it in the context of mechanical movements. If I want or need ultimate accuracy I'll wear an apple or GPS watch (https://www.lifewire.com/apple-watch-the-most-accurate-timepiece-156700) or just use my phone.

My left wrist is reserved for small mechanical pieces of art that have the bonus of being able to vaguely tell the time to within a few seconds accuracy. I rarely wear them for more than 2 or so days straight so they run down and I have to set them again anyway next time I wear one. :laugh:

That's just me though obviously, If you happen to be an accuracy geek then have at it.

Well to be pedantic, the watch that you refer to isn't accurate at all,  :biggrin:  like G-Shocks or any other watch that receives it's time signal from an atomic source it's the Atomic Clock that is accurate, not the watch which I doubt has much accuracy of it's own.

To an old foggy like myself, who pre-dates quartz watches by some time, and when mechanical watches were all there were, accuracy in their movements was obviously very desirable and regardless of GPS, using an accurate mechanical, coupled with a sextant you could also find your position on the globe too ..... And, if you want a mechanical watch that is better than " being able to tell the time within a few seconds accuracy", they are out there and often made a lot earlier than you might think.:thumbsup: