• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Have you ever gone through a quantum leap in your watch taste?

I've gone from being a quartz-only sports/tough watch enthusiast to a mechanical dress watch obsessionist.

Quite a change, I'm sure you'll agree.

I think it started when I decided I needed something 'classy' for those special occasions.

Now I wear my dress watches all the time, every day. As I'm writing this I'm in camo shorts and an old grey T, but with a dress watch on my wrist nevertheless!

Have any of you guys been through a similar metamorphosis, albeit maybe with different watch styles? 0016543909c0c1ec414d87acae208a43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do like a dress watch but since going back to the office post lockdown the dress code has gone from smart casual to just casual.

I still occasionally go in a smart shirt and trousers but most days it’s jeans, polo/t-shirt and trainers, a dress watch doesn’t quite look right. I usually wear one if I’m out to the theatre, dinner etc in the evening but all that has been put on hold. 

My tastes haven’t changed I still like to have a choice but just based on the above I’m not really looking at anymore dress watches. 

• Like 1

At first I had a lot of quantum leaps, most significant were collecting Glycine Airman and then collecting Speedmaster

The Speedmasters were Moonwatch cal. 321, Mk II with racing dial, Mk III, MkIV, Mk 4.5, X33, Moon to Mars and Gemini IV

I have still got a Mk 4.5 and X33 although in both cases not the watches I originally had

I wish I had kept more looking at the price today, they were cheap in comparison - now you will pay £9k for a Gemini IV, £8k for a cal 321 and £7k for a Moon to Mars :jawdrop1:

• Like 1

I had a largish collection of military issued watches. Got rid of the lot, and now I've got a bit of everything, although with the exception of 1 Poljot chrono, I'm working my way towards three handers. I asked my wife what she would do with my watches if I croaked it. "Keep the four best ones, and put the rest to charity shops". Makes sense. :hmmm9uh:

• Like 1

I think my quantum leap is mainly size related. 

what’s the saying? The bigger the better? 

...I’m firmly along the lines of good things come in small packages these days. The thinner the better, the smaller the better. I’ve only got 1 watch larger than 40mm and looking at a 36-38mm piece next 

• Like 1

...I’m firmly along the lines of good things come in small packages these days. The thinner the better, the smaller the better..

I'm totally with you on this. A few years back I bought a Marathon JSAR, which is pretty much like having a wall clock on your wrist.

Fast-forward to today and I'm hovering around the 40 mark - Maurice Lacroix les classiques is 38, JeanRichard is 41 (and I actually worried about 41 being too big).

And as slim as possible. I actually went for the quartz MLLC rather than the mechanical version as its 7mm vs 11mm for the mechanical.

1 hour ago, Eski said:

I'm totally with you on this. A few years back I bought a Marathon JSAR, which is pretty much like having a wall clock on your wrist.

Fast-forward to today and I'm hovering around the 40 mark - Maurice Lacroix les classiques is 38, JeanRichard is 41 (and I actually worried about 41 being too big).

And as slim as possible. I actually went for the quartz MLLC rather than the mechanical version as its 7mm vs 11mm for the mechanical.

I'm actually going the other way! After a lifetime working in manual labour, my wrists are stupidly big...8" plus. Tiny watches...46mm or less look like a child's watch on my wrist. My Rolex GMT looks silly on my wrist, which is why I don't wear it very often these days. Nowadays, I seek out the 50mm + sizes....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I'm actually going the other way! After a lifetime working in manual labour, my wrists are stupidly big...8" plus. Tiny watches...46mm or less look like a child's watch on my wrist. My Rolex GMT looks silly on my wrist, which is why I don't wear it very often these days. Nowadays, I seek out the 50mm + sizes....

I’m the same, anything smaller than 46mm looks lost, it’s not that you want a big watch but put a 42mm in my wrist and it looks like a kids watch, it is annoying as it reduces choices. I’ve always been into the big style, but now looking for something more refined, so my quantum leap is from less expensive to more expensive, just don’t have the budget 

2 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I’m the same, anything smaller than 46mm looks lost, it’s not that you want a big watch but put a 42mm in my wrist and it looks like a kids watch, it is annoying as it reduces choices. I’ve always been into the big style, but now looking for something more refined, so my quantum leap is from less expensive to more expensive, just don’t have the budget 

Re the cost thing, I'm with you. I find myself looking at ever more expensive watches. Over the last few years I'd guess that my average watch purchase cost has risen by circa 400%, although to add a little perspective to that I was originally buying at the very low end of the market!

Edited by Eski

I'm with @spinynorman. Evolution rather than quantum leap.

I used to think that quartz was the future, but then mobile phones came along and I gradually changed my view of what a watch is for.

At one time I thought of Rolex as the acme of watch making  --  but learning and experience gradually enlightens.

I used to think that complications were cool, but I slowly realized that the only one I ever use is the date, and the only one which is likely to enhance the look of a watch is a moon-phase.

And, I'm sure I'm not finished. Life is a journey of discovery, but brings very few damascene conversions.

• Like 2