Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Drill press recommendations...


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A large box arrived on the doorstep this morning. This is the £199 Scheppach DP16SL drill press from Screwfix (the best price on the net, unless I ordered it from Italy to save £20...but would have be

Following on from the drill press table project, a few more have raised their heads. I need to make a router table, a router sled for accurate levelling and half jointing and a new circle cutting jig.

A lot of those are just rebranded cheap rubbish and don't last five minutes, are there any auctions or machine tool dealers going on around your way where you could maybe pick up an older good quality

2 hours ago, Biker said:

Ouch!!!00a02e57421dfa211a4aee3f50a92ebf.jpg9b579ed8294664b7c229852d0d8c1421.jpg

 

Sorry Roger. At least this doesn't have the cranked table...

 

*stands well back*

 

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

No probs, Buster...I did look at that one, but thought the cranked table would give more control...so far, it's been superb. That one you pictured has a 350W motor. Mine's a bit bigger at 550W. Overall, it's a more powerful machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2020 at 20:15, BobJ said:

Are you planning on making a removable wooden table and fence?

@BobJ  Hi Bob...having looked at endless Youtube vids on making a woodworking table and adjustable fence, started on mine today. It comprises elements from a lot of ideas, from getting the table lift crank to work without fouling the underside of the table, and being able to access the column locking screw. Aluminium T bar track has been ordered to make the slides for the back fence and stop block. Baltic birch ply is a little excessive for this project, so a free gift of some 19mm WBP ply from a mate will surfice. Lots of pics have been taken, and a 'project' thread will ensue shortly. Watch this space.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@BobJ  Hi Bob...having looked at endless Youtube vids on making a woodworking table and adjustable fence, started on mine today. It comprises elements from a lot of ideas, from getting the table lift crank to work without fouling the underside of the table, and being able to access the column locking screw. Aluminium T bar track has been ordered to make the slides for the back fence and stop block. Baltic birch ply is a little excessive for this project, so a free gift of some 19mm WBP ply from a mate will surfice. Lots of pics have been taken, and a 'project' thread will ensue shortly. Watch this space.

Looking forward to it Roger. :thumbsup:

A few problems with my garage (building) has held up my purchase of any new machines or doing any work in there for a few months

but all sorted now. Ordering my Drill press this week. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Following on from the drill press table project, a few more have raised their heads. I need to make a router table, a router sled for accurate levelling and half jointing and a new circle cutting jig. I also have plans to convert my 7" Makita circular saw into a rail saw and table saw. I made a router sled when I was working, but left it there when I retired. The new one is now fixed in my mind, and will be a better version with metal rails. These are not only good for levelling,  but also for supporting the router if clearing a large recess that is wider than the router base to avoid tipping. These will be future projects and posted here. Keep watching.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Assembled my new drill press (as Rogers) today.

Not much to report other than said by Roger. The 13amp adaptor plug is a bit of a lump which I may change in the future, plus 

my retired engineer neighbour gave me a 3-16 keyless chuck which fitted the B16 taper.

A nice upgrade from my old one, now recycled.

 large.IMG_20200926_132247303_HDR.jpg.51caf9d3f4ddb96d74f10f807dcfa24d.jpg 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BobJ said:

Assembled my new drill press (as Rogers) today.

Not much to report other than said by Roger. The 13amp adaptor plug is a bit of a lump which I may change in the future, plus 

my retired engineer neighbour gave me a 3-16 keyless chuck which fitted the B16 taper.

A nice upgrade from my old one, now recycled.

 large.IMG_20200926_132247303_HDR.jpg.51caf9d3f4ddb96d74f10f807dcfa24d.jpg 

One thing I improved on mine was to quieten the noise made by the quill return spring (on the LH side next to the isolator switch). It sounded a bit 'graunchy' straight out of the box, but as it's under tension it's a bit risky opening the cover. However, a quick spray with WD40 round the case and enough seeped in to make it whisper quiet.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

One thing I improved on mine was to quieten the noise made by the quill return spring (on the LH side next to the isolator switch). It sounded a bit 'graunchy' straight out of the box, but as it's under tension it's a bit risky opening the cover. However, a quick spray with WD40 round the case and enough seeped in to make it whisper quiet.

Thanks, that's something I will have to listen out for. I half expected to have to get the sticky back foam out to quieten the pulley cover which 

is a usual place for rattling but it's a good tight fit when closed and no rattle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...