• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
CMCM

mainspring winders, recommendation

Ps. The inner diameter of the mainspring barrel for the watch I am working on is 11mm.

Edited by CMCM

Can someone clear up the "right / left handed" thing for me?

If the mainspring looks like this picture when I open the barrel, do I need a right or left handed winder?

Thanks!

Watch Mainsprings

My winder will do left or right, didn’t realise they did left or right? I make a note of spring direction on a piece of paper and load the spring in the winder accordingly , the end is adjustable for barrel diameter too , maybe have a look for one like that. I got mine off eBay, it’s vintage but like most vintage tools it does the job perfectly, prior to that I used to put them into the barrel by hand. Winders are useful but not essential imo 

I have one like that for small barrels. But I need to get a larger one- I can only find new from Bergeon, or Chinese sets on ebay. 

59 minutes ago, CMCM said:

I have one like that for small barrels. But I need to get a larger one- I can only find new from Bergeon, or Chinese sets on ebay

Try a search for “ vintage watchmakers tools “ that’s what I do 

57 minutes ago, CMCM said:

I did. 

I still need to know if it's right or left. 

As mentioned this does both 

Winder