• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

15 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Holding your satnav watch to ransom, like you don't already know where you've ran or cycled to. 

Not the sharpest hackers around

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

How did these gentlemen cope ?

Hamish-9-2.jpg

23 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Holding your satnav watch to ransom, like you don't already know where you've ran or cycled to. 

Not the sharpest hackers around

They also make navigation devices for aircraft .......

The thing that annoys me, is why didn't they write the app, so that data is uploaded to your phone and then uploaded to the Garmin servers. As it stands you just cant do anything as the app is useless without access to the Garmin servers

My wife is a "slave to the Garmin" I can't be bothered with it. I qualified as a guide pre computer age when map and compass were the norm, and I still prefer and trust it. The one thing I remember being hammered home during the training was the importance of going equipped in a minimum of a group of three. That way if anything serious goes wrong, one can seek help, while the other cares for the stricken. By ignoring the rules installed in me, I literally came very close to losing my life earlier this year, and it was only by good fortune that two strangers happened upon me, otherwise I'd have been another stiff found by the trackside. As a navigational aid for aircraft, I can understand their importance, as a device to be worn on the wrist, I'm sorry, but I still see them as a novelty.

6 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

hacking very useful ... once you are about 20 or 30 seconds fast you can stop the sweep hand and get back to where you want to be.

garmin - who ? :laugh:

I was quite good at hacking logs.

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

My wife is a "slave to the Garmin" I can't be bothered with it. I qualified as a guide pre computer age when map and compass were the norm, and I still prefer and trust it. The one thing I remember being hammered home during the training was the importance of going equipped in a minimum of a group of three. That way if anything serious goes wrong, one can seek help, while the other cares for the stricken. By ignoring the rules installed in me, I literally came very close to losing my life earlier this year, and it was only by good fortune that two strangers happened upon me, otherwise I'd have been another stiff found by the trackside. As a navigational aid for aircraft, I can understand their importance, as a device to be worn on the wrist, I'm sorry, but I still see them as a novelty.

I have never used my garmin for directions or the mapping functions they can provide. For me it's essentially analytics of the running I do and pretty much nothing else. It's just essentially a log for me, how far, how fast, heart rate and stuff like that. If I'm ever in the mountains I have a compass and a map which in my opinion can never be replaced.  My ordanance survey maps so far have never ran out of battery!

On 27/07/2020 at 10:27, WRENCH said:

As a navigational aid for aircraft, I can understand their importance

Back in the early 90's my wide boy boss who had pretty much every toy decided to buy a helicopter, he presumably passed all the tests he needed to but one of the lads went with him in it one day and he said they just followed the A1 down until they got close to Scunthorpe then turned left. He wasn't entirely convinced the boss knew what he was doing. 

• Haha 1