• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

DO you ever look at one of your watches and feel especially happy?

Obviously, I like all my watches, there are very few now that I might let go, but I am always determined not to pay too much for something such that I will not lose my shirt if I want to sell it, and buying watches before you try them on is fraught with that -

But I also normally refuse to pay a price over-inflated by current trends - I would say the SARB 033 falls into that bracket - it is a great classy watch but even if I could re-sell one for £500.00, I wouldn't pay 500 for one.  The whole point of that watch is the competition it gave high-end watches while sitting at the 300.00 price point.  I digress.  I didn't think I would own another Strela because prices went crazy, but I kept looking anyway and got a great deal on mine, not from eBay.  So this is the watch that makes me smile because I didn't think I would find one at a sensible price.  Had it a while now but still as pleased to see it in my watch box as the day I did the deal.

IMG_20200725_173038267(1).thumb.jpg.3b9d9db9022f30004518c9ad6036bed6.jpg

I look at it and think 'Yay!  I got one!"

Which of your watches gives you an extra buzz, or an enduring soupcon of surprise when you see it strapped to your wrist?

• Like 6

I have to say I hate the brand (I guess the vintage brand is quite different from the modern offerings) but that is a sweet little Sekonda. 

I don't wear my Patek very much but I guess that one... And it doubled in the last year so had I of waited I would have never got it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

that is a sweet little Sekonda

1970 Poljot 3017 column wheel chronograph, after the Russians bought the Venus Cal.150 production line.  If only they had added shock protection! 

It's the Russian Speedy - or спееды as we call it.

gubarev.jpg.189a7b8fdc79c9b7ab1a130afa7f5890.jpg

Sekonda now is a far eastern outfit I think.

A Patek would make most people smile!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I guess some people might want to see it.... skip forwards if you don't want to hear me droning on. 

Well you didn't drop it, so that's always a start.  I always unbox mine over a shag pile rug, just in case!

Seriously nice though.

• Like 1

I guess it's my Breitling Avenger. Bought it in 2005 when I left the RN and it was pretty much my daily beater for a long time. Went through a lot of adversity for a few years after that, but it was great to see this almost indestructable lump on my wrist all the way through it. Incidentally, great to see one very similar to this being worn by Leonardo di-whatsit in the film 'Blook Diamond' very recently. I though 'Hey! That geezer's got my watch on!'   

40688909332_6942219c0e_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

But I also normally refuse to pay a price over-inflated by current trends - I would say the SARB 033 falls into that bracket - it is a great classy watch but even if I could re-sell one for £500.00, I wouldn't pay 500 for one.  The whole point of that watch is the competition it gave high-end watches while sitting at the 300.00 price point.

Spot on I couldn't agree more, even if it is the one that has kept me happiest for longest (6 months now!, though i binned the bracelet and end links yesterday and just stuck it on a simple black geckota). But yep at 300 quid (i paid 340 in jan used...) and even a tad more its a great watch, having owned one now for 6 month Im tickled by people who compare it with a rolex dj etc...it's not in the same league, the finish between the lugs in the drilled corner shows that. Its a nice watch for 300 quid and thats it. At 500? its overpriced because the manufacturer only charged 300 and made a profit, so it would be daft to pay a bloke on a Burnley Council house estate or anywhere else 500 for his old one. So to answer the question, yes the sarb probably is the one thats keeping me happy, but it is being over rated, its a nice 200 300 quid beater, which is how i use mine...you only need to look at a 1976 Seiko King Quartz for 70 quid...to see the big step up in quality...but then adjusted for inflation the kq was nealry 2800 quid in 76. All good fun:swoon:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Yes

50067295378_0a26bf67cc_b.jpg

I should have bought that instead of 3 merc cl500's the s550 a knackered Jensen...a vw phaeton...a golf gti...a few bmw's (excluding my current 330...I don't want to be on the bus), a citroen c6...a merc s500...If I hadn't bought that lot i'd have saved let me tot it up....12 grand plus 7 grand plus 5 grand plus 3 grand plus 3 grand plus 4 grand plus the jensen (not saying how much) plus petrol. I'd have been well on my way. I could have had that and flogged it at a profit instead of flogging a load of old cars at a loss, and doing 8mpg plus tax to the government. I've got a great idea. 

See the source image

How much would i have saved and thats just in 4 yr on cars...change of plan needed. 

and i didnt need any of them i dont even go to work. 

Im not even a car dealer either i just like polishing them and buying them. I think its an illness that sort of puts watch collecting into perspective as sensible. 

Oh and the maserati qp...forgot about that one. :tumbleweed:

Yep i need to grow up im nearly 48...no more toys. 

I need something boring and sensible like a rolex. 

Its either that or its time to get wed. 

:watch:

In which case i think i prefer the idea of a sensible watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'Er indoors bought me a Monaco for Christmas last year, a watch I have lusted after for decades.  That gives me a wee thrill every time I wear it.

Pictures to follow.

• Thanks 1

Everyone on this forum knows what I have...and despite the Rolex GMT, the Omega SMP etc, the one that's my favourite and most worn, is the Seiko 'Blue wave Sawtooth', because...well....nothing even comes close in the 'looks' department...

Seiko Sawtooth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Biker said:

'Er indoors bought me a Monaco for Christmas last year, a watch I have lusted after for decades.  That gives me a wee thrill every time I wear it.

Pictures to follow.

I do find it difficult taking watch pictures on this bloomin' mobile.

Just bought me a samsung A51 and the camera is too fussy...

20200727_141200.jpg

20200727_141209.jpg

DSCF4413.JPG

BTW this is not an original Heuer bracelet, it came on leather and I bought this looky-likey, to see how I like it.  I think it's going back on the original leather strap

Edited by Biker
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Nigelp said:

I should have bought that instead of 3 merc cl500's the s550 a knackered Jensen...a vw phaeton...a golf gti...a few bmw's (excluding my current 330...I don't want to be on the bus), a citroen c6...a merc s500...If I hadn't bought that lot i'd have saved let me tot it up....12 grand plus 7 grand plus 5 grand plus 3 grand plus 3 grand plus 4 grand plus the jensen (not saying how much) plus petrol. I'd have been well on my way. I could have had that and flogged it at a profit instead of flogging a load of old cars at a loss, and doing 8mpg plus tax to the government. I've got a great idea. 

See the source image

How much would i have saved and thats just in 4 yr on cars...change of plan needed. 

and i didnt need any of them i dont even go to work. 

Im not even a car dealer either i just like polishing them and buying them. I think its an illness that sort of puts watch collecting into perspective as sensible. 

Oh and the maserati qp...forgot about that one. :tumbleweed:

Yep i need to grow up im nearly 48...no more toys. 

I need something boring and sensible like a rolex. 

Its either that or its time to get wed. 

:watch:

In which case i think i prefer the idea of a sensible watch. 

Sounds a bit like me but at least I got my LV.

Bought the Merc but really fancied a TT and then there were those E46 convertibles, gorgeous, I really wanted one of those so I ended up with all three. 

Or the Corvette, then I saw a Z28 Camaro but the F350 truck couldn’t be passed up on so I ended up with all three and an E36 coupe and a another MK2 Golf GTI ever though I previously had about a dozen MK1’s and 2’s And And.........

Over the years I would have been better off burning fifty quid notes to get my fires going it probably of been cheaper. At least I got some money back on the watches.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

9 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Sounds a bit like me but at least I got my LV.

Bought the Merc but really fancied a TT and then there were those E46 convertibles, gorgeous, I really wanted one of those so I ended up with all three. 

Or the Corvette, then I saw a Z28 Camaro but the F350 truck couldn’t be passed up on so I ended up with all three and an E36 coupe and a another MK2 Golf GTI ever though I previously had about a dozen MK1’s and 2’s And And.........

Over the years I would have been better off burning fifty quid notes to get my fires going it probably of been cheaper. At least I got some money back on the watches.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

im just looking for a suitable avatar. 

:tumbleweed:

whats ta think?

See the source image

• Haha 1