• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I think we have different phases in our collection and I wonder if anyone else has reached the same plateau as me. 

At first we want anything and everything...   Then we start to figure out what we like and begin to rule things out based on preferences like size, brand, movement type etc. 

We find and hopefully achieve some grail watches.   Perhaps we find that our taste has become more expensive than our budget.   Eventually we think we created a nice little collection. 

Well that's where I am but I have a couple of empty spaces. 

As written on another thread I mentioned what I haven't got - all mortgagable affairs... A Platinum Moser, A Seiko Snowflake... 

This has been a year where I have hardly worked and not claimed any money from anywhere, budget restrictions apply. 

I do however trawl everywhere looking for that watch that's going to grab me.   The one that when I see it I say "that's what my collection needs" and I am not seeing it. 

I could add another vintage or two... But it can't be too undersized and has to offer me something I don't have in my collection.   What is it I am missing?  What is it I should be chasing? 

Does anyone else find themselves searching but continually not finding anything they have to have?  Does anyone else love their watches but didn't add one in a long time? 

• Like 2

Absolutely, not being in a position for a collection, I could have gained a collection overtime of sub 300 but I have champagne tastes with a flat lemonade budget, so I wanted to attain a daily wearer which would be bullet proof and a nice flashy number, found the daily wearer in the mudmaster, love it, however I’ve been looking for months now for the special one, I think the size of the mudmaster has impacted my search as anything under 46mm looks like its come out of an kinder egg on my wrist, I’ve had some fantastic advice on here and felt I had got it down to tag Carrera and a Breitling avenger blackbird 48mm, missed one on the bay recently at a great price. 

I’m daily searching then something else catches my eye for 5 minutes then back off again. 

I then find myself in message tennis with sellers trying to find everything I can, then something sets of the spider senses and I’m back off again.

I also suffer from buyers remorse, expect before I buy something, a tendency to over think everything, or just a muppet or both. 

I think you and I are in almost opposite positions even if it has a similar effect. 

You seem almost paralysed by the number of options and how to decide.   You have a size limitation too.   You are near the beginning. 

I have a less stringent size limitation but am ruling out heaps... Based on brand (I might say I already have one by the maker, or not like the brand) also by similarity to something I already have etc.  My options seem very limited now having checked off so many of my must haves. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I think you and I are in almost opposite positions even if it has a similar effect. 

You seem almost paralysed by the number of options and how to decide.   You have a size limitation too.   You are near the beginning. 

I have a less stringent size limitation but am ruling out heaps... Based on brand (I might say I already have one by the maker, or not like the brand) also by similarity to something I already have etc.  My options seem very limited now having checked off so many of my must haves. 

Agreed, there seem very few new styles but a lot of similar watches. Sometimes I think you get locked in looking for something that isn’t there or for me sometimes thinking, there may be something today that catches my eye. 

all part of the fun, until it’s not, it’s slimiest obsessive, I do exactly the same with cars , trainers and shoes. 

Even more disappointing just been to Ernest Jones and Beaverbrooks. 

Grrrrrr Tag Carrera beautiful and good weight, looks tiny on the wrist, Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm really nice first time hands on with Tudor, great feel, **** strap SCREAM.

So then the Breitling 46mm heritage, mmm not bad but not setting me on fire, so then the brute Super Avenger 48mm, did nothing for me at all.

looked at a couple of Bremont, nice feel too small

There is something wrong with me I’m sure.........

talk about back to the drawing board, I need a new board 

LOST

Ive been through all sorts of phases. Vintage, omega, rolex, seiko, zenith longines and then the rebound of just nipping down to argos to buy a cheap casio that tells the right time. Recently ive just been restricted by limited budget. So a sarb as a daily, a king Quartz for a descent vintage and a lassale for a nice dress watch. Ive settled into a niche seiko bracket. Limited by lowish funds, but still interesting watches. I will stay in this category. Might go for a sarx at 800 notes. Ive decided its where i feel happiest. Blue collar if you like. Honest stuff. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

I’m searching constantly but my problem is I like too many pieces so struggle to narrow it down. I’m pretty strict with myself so have a 1 in 1 out policy with a maximum of 6 watches....so trying to narrow it down with so much choice is tricky.

i try to get pieces that are completely different so they each have  a place in my collection. 

i have found, however that over time my taste has refined as have my brands of choice so it is getting a bit easier! 

2 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

Even more disappointing just been to Ernest Jones and Beaverbrooks. 

Grrrrrr Tag Carrera beautiful and good weight, looks tiny on the wrist, Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm really nice first time hands on with Tudor, great feel, **** strap SCREAM.

So then the Breitling 46mm heritage, mmm not bad but not setting me on fire, so then the brute Super Avenger 48mm, did nothing for me at all.

looked at a couple of Bremont, nice feel too small

There is something wrong with me I’m sure.........

talk about back to the drawing board, I need a new board 

LOST

Get a zenith pilot type 20

Edited by WickerBill
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

Agreed, there seem very few new styles but a lot of similar watches. Sometimes I think you get locked in looking for something that isn’t there or for me sometimes thinking, there may be something today that catches my eye. 

all part of the fun, until it’s not, it’s slimiest obsessive, I do exactly the same with cars , trainers and shoes. 

I reached my plateau when I bought my LV, since then I’ve had a few others but never see anything I really fancy that would replace it. the others have all gone.

Cars and trainers, that’s a whole other thing all together, every week I see something I want.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

50155589801_6047c84cff_b.jpg

Cars like the trainers I couldn’t make up my mind and ended up with more than one, over the years to date probably in excess of 150 motors 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Your taste changes with time as your knowledge increases.

I think many people 'start' with a big collection of usually inexpensive watches built up quite quickly when they get into watches.

Then you might gradually reduce things down to less than a handful that you really like and wear.

Grails are great, but finance can make that frustrating, so interesting designs may be more the way forward and you start to focus more and more on features you like and ones you don't, which may actually make choosing something new easier, because it's easier to reject what doesn't work for you.

Sure, I'd love a PP or VC, but even if I could afford one, I'm not sure I'd wear it much because of the value, so would the grail be worth having just to have it?

And that's why I too keep an eye out for something I might want, but for one reason or another shake my head and say "nope". I think it's just the natural progression.

There is an argument for buying the very best only, and if you can afford just one watch make it one from the holy trinity and wear it every day, otherwise buy a Casio and don't bother with anything else. There may be something in this...

• Like 4
On 26/07/2020 at 09:07, Daveyboyz said:

At first we want anything and everything...   Then we start to figure out what we like and begin to rule things out based on preferences like size, brand, movement type etc. 

We find and hopefully achieve some grail watches.   Perhaps we find that our taste has become more expensive than our budget.   Eventually we think we created a nice little collection. 

sums me up perfectlet so far:yes:

On 26/07/2020 at 09:07, Daveyboyz said:

Does anyone else love their watches but didn't add one in a long time? 

not only have i not added one i have not worn a nice one for 2 months till yesterday !

i have my eye on three , they are eyewateringly expensive and will be bought with a retirement lump sum, one is unobtainable two will need to come from abroad , but do i spend such sums in theses financial hard times ?

deano

• Like 1

I dunno...there are so so so so so so so so many cool unique watches out there in the 1-3k price range like the ZRC 1964 french diver. Its around same price as a bb58 and its crazy for an eta movement but I dunno..i think i'd get bored of the bb58 after a while. this super unique zrc for example is exciting.  but thats just me i'm newish a couple years but been wearing watches for over 25 years. I prefer a couple cool pieces mostly historic ones with ties to the past.

too many watches so little time!

thats where i'm at. i know exactly what I like but am willing to try unique new cool historic re-issues like the zrc for example.

• Like 1

I've been through most of the phases of watch obsession, ranging from Vintage, through more modern and more expensive.

Nowadays retirement means I have less funds for watches, so although I'm still interested in the subject, have no plans to acquire more.

• Like 2

Our fine friend @AVO wrote jokingly about our stages of WIS-development a couple of years ago (see here)  --  many a true word spoken in jest.

I have also accepted that adding to my collection perhaps once per year (if I'm lucky) is the new norm.Like you @Daveyboyz, I have been lucky enough to be able to tick most of the "want" boxes. Almost all of the pieces I still lust after now are (new at least) quite a way outside the budget I think is sensible for a single watch, which means that I have to lay in wait for the right used opportunity. Frustrating, but that's life. :blush:

• Like 1

The budget thing is a problem when you are thinking "I don't have a platinum Moser, Lange or Breguet"  the truth is with things the way they are at the moment these don't really seem like an option for the forseeable future. 

I would also be happy to add something not so high end... but I am good for divers and chronographs... I have been looking at Santos's again (I have owned so many, but I have to think they are the past not the future for me) I have been looking at vintage gold Rolex bubble backs on leather, its one Rolex that has depreciated and still offers a little value mainly because they are a little undersized, they are cute but my heart isn't racing... I have been tempted many times by Grand Seiko but can never make up my mind if its for me.   I don't have an IWC, in truth most of their lines don't grab me... and do I need another three hand manual wind dress watch?

Usually even if its a long way off I have something in my heart that I desire, I am not strongly desiring anything and I have three gaps to fill, your guess is as good as mine what will go in there... I am even thinking about a quartz... maybe I am losing it. 

On 26/07/2020 at 18:26, RTM Boy said:

Your taste changes with time as your knowledge increases.

I think many people 'start' with a big collection of usually inexpensive watches built up quite quickly when they get into watches.

Then you might gradually reduce things down to less than a handful that you really like and wear.

Grails are great, but finance can make that frustrating, so interesting designs may be more the way forward and you start to focus more and more on features you like and ones you don't, which may actually make choosing something new easier, because it's easier to reject what doesn't work for you.

Sure, I'd love a PP or VC, but even if I could afford one, I'm not sure I'd wear it much because of the value, so would the grail be worth having just to have it?

And that's why I too keep an eye out for something I might want, but for one reason or another shake my head and say "nope". I think it's just the natural progression.

There is an argument for buying the very best only, and if you can afford just one watch make it one from the holy trinity and wear it every day, otherwise buy a Casio and don't bother with anything else. There may be something in this...

I think the most expensive watches I currently own are in the  £250/300 bracket. I have had expensive - by my standards - watches in the past (Japy Aquatique, Omega Speedmaster Broadarrow amongst others). I couldn't fault them from a quality point of view but I hardly ever wore them in case of trashing them whilst working at the theatre or on the car, so I ended up selling them. Over the year's I've bought loads of lesser(?) watches & enjoyed most/all of them to a greater or lesser degree.

I don't think I could live with only 1, 2, 3 or 4 watches, grails or not  ..... not yet anyway. In fact I'm not even sure I have a grail watch ..... not yet anyway. I like having a variety of relatively inexpensive watches to choose from, even if I end up choosing/wearing the same one for weeks as happens quite a lot.

Instead of one expensive grail maybe 3 or 4 less expensive, but still quality, watches is the way to go? 

:)

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 3

Even if they are expensive I wear them and it isn't just 4 its 14.    I could handle a cheap vintage watch if it spoke to me, but generally there's nothing under £1000 that I would want to buy and I wonder what the 3 or 4 less expensive watches are going to offer that I don't already have.  I don't want to but something just to buy something, I want to find something I don't have. 

My cheapest is the Seiko cocktail time because it has a power reserve and I am happy enough with it, I think every collection needs a seiko.  What I don't need though is a bunch of cheap watches that aren't really contributing anything different.   

3 hours ago, pauluspaolo said:

I think the most expensive watches I currently own are in the  £250/300 bracket. I have had expensive - by my standards - watches in the past (Japy Aquatique, Omega Speedmaster Broadarrow amongst others). I couldn't fault them from a quality point of view but I hardly ever wore them in case of trashing them whilst working at the theatre or on the car, so I ended up selling them. Over the year's I've bought loads of lesser(?) watches & enjoyed most/all of them to a greater or lesser degree.

I don't think I could live with only 1, 2, 3 or 4 watches, grails or not  ..... not yet anyway. In fact I'm not even sure I have a grail watch ..... not yet anyway. I like having a variety of relatively inexpensive watches to choose from, even if I end up choosing/wearing the same one for weeks as happens quite a lot.

Instead of one expensive grail maybe 3 or 4 less expensive, but still quality, watches is the way to go? 

:)

yeah worried about that too. once i get my grand seiko will i fear wearing that perfect perfection beauty made by the heavens chiselled in titanium outside even?!