• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Pocket watch identification help please!

Hi everyone.

This is my father's watch, given to him decades ago.  I was surprised that with everything on the internet, I can't get any further than working out the city of manufacture (I think Birmingham).  Even the year letter looks different to online resources.  Also, the maker's mark looks like its PVP in an oval, but again there's no reference to that maker online.  It's 1.5" (38mm) in diameter, so it's quite a dainty thing.

I'm not even asking for a full history (although that would be great), but right now a confirmation of year, and manufacturer would help!

Thanks in advance...

face.jpgrear.jpgworkings.jpginside-case.jpginside-inner.jpgmaker.jpg

23 minutes ago, Rudeshark said:

I'm not even asking for a full history (although that would be great), but right now a confirmation of year, and manufacturer would help!

You're right about Birmingham and the year mark looks like 1883. That ties in with P.V.P for Paul Vuille Perret, listed in Feb 1883 as a watch manufacturer with an address in Hungerford Road, London.

• Thanks 1

Wow, that's great.  Thank you!  I looked through loads of websites regarding the maker, and never saw (or noticed, more like) P.V.P.

What confused me about the year letter was the resource I had been checking online had an additional symbol of a person looking left alongside the lion and the anchor.  My watch only has the lion and anchor, not the third stamp.

Thanks again.

Wow, that's great.  Thank you!  I looked through loads of websites regarding the maker, and never saw (or noticed, more like) P.V.P.

What confused me about the year letter was the resource I had been checking online had an additional symbol of a person looking left alongside the lion and the anchor.  My watch only has the lion and anchor, not the third stamp.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Rudeshark said:

Thanks again.

Good old printed books come to the rescue here. The head would be the duty mark, which watch cases didn't use after 1798.

Incidentally, there's a Paul Vuille-Perret operating in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland, around the same time. It's tempting to say they're the same person, but I can't see anything on your watch to prove it. However, there's no import mark on the case and it was common to put imported mechanisms into English-made cases for tax reasons.

Someone else may come along with more definite information.

• Like 1

This is my first time trying to track down a watch's history.  I assume that now knowing the maker and year, the serial number inside the case is something which would allow me to find out the history too?  I'm pretty sure my Dad is more interested in the value, but I'd love to know where it's been.

It seems like a lesser known maker, so I just wonder how likely that would be.

58 minutes ago, Rudeshark said:

This is my first time trying to track down a watch's history.  I assume that now knowing the maker and year, the serial number inside the case is something which would allow me to find out the history too?  I'm pretty sure my Dad is more interested in the value, but I'd love to know where it's been.

It seems like a lesser known maker, so I just wonder how likely that would be.

Sadly, no. Only the big manufacturers have surviving records of serial numbers.

I'm intriqued by the marks on the inner caseback, your bottom left picture. On the left, what is that? Looks like a crocodile. And then on the right, an animal of some sort and what looks like a thistle on its side. Mean nothing to me but might to someone else.