• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
pauluspaolo

Two of my favourite, but different, divers

It has to be said that out of my current crop of divers these two seem to be very much my favourites. 

They are a Borealis Oceanaut & an Armida A7. I've had the Borealis a couple of years (at least) now & it's developed a rich dark patina whilst I've only had the Armida a few weeks so it has yet to develop any significant patina (though it's certainly less shiny than it was & I can see a hint of copper by the 7 o'clock lug). I'm not going to try ageing it with various pungent chemical solutions (as some do) but let it develop naturally over time whilst being worn & enjoyed as I have with the Borealis. I wasn't a great fan of brass/bronze cases when they first came out but the Borealis was such an unusual design (though I think it's "based" on a certain Anonimo design) that I was intrigued enough to buy one despite the case material. I've worn the watch loads over the years & I've enjoyed seeing how the colour/finish has changed. I'm looking forward to the same happening with the Armida.

Anyway here are two similar yet totally different divers watches - both favourites & both keepers  :clap::thumbs_up:   

vcGtgCM.jpg

6F3HIdq.jpg

jodModV.jpg

be2jVEq.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't a huge fan of brass/bronze either, but after getting my Armida A1, I really like the aged look of them. My initial reticence was not beinga fan of gold watches, which for a short time, these look like to the untrained eye. For that reason I must admit to cheating a little bit, and had the case suspended over a small pot of vinegar for a few hours, which took the edge of the shinyness, until my own chemical aura could take over!

That Borealis is really lovely, the coffee colour of the patina is fantastic - and though you say it's a keeper - should you ever change your mind... :whistle:

49984237287_e928fedffe_b.jpg

Edited by DJJazzyJeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Borealis has oxidised to a great colour :yes:

7 hours ago, pauluspaolo said:

Armida A7.

Did it come with a brass bezel ?

6 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Did it come with a brass bezel ?

The watch came as the full set so the extra brass bezel, straps etc were all included. However the ceramic bezel was already fitted & I liked it so didn't feel like fitting the other.

Having said that I don't want to use chemicals to speed up the ageing process, I may have a go with the spare bezel just to see what sort of results I get. I have access to various chemicals at work (acids, alkalis etc) so I may try experimenting with some solutions of those (when I actually get back to work that is). Maybe a bit of internet research is required.

Thanks for your feedback :thumbs_up:

22 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Having said that I don't want to use chemicals to speed up the ageing process

Let it go naturally. I wear mine in all weather's, and after a year on, it takes on its own subtle patina. I prefer the case shape and no date on the Armidia.