UK Watch Forum banner

Watches that don't get worn

2K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  JoT 
#1 ·
I am just going to throw something out there... its been discussed before but I want to ask some questions...

Quick prologue is that I think it is perfectly acceptable to own some watches that very rarely go on the wrist. I have a couple of "special occassion" watches that are just too expensive to wear in the hood but if I am going to a posh restaurant quite perfect. I also have a couple of golden oldies that are there for the collection more than for the wearing. The bulk of the stuff I wear most is in the mid-range of my collection, Omega, Seiko and the Polar Explorer has been out a lot recently.

The question is if a watch is out of style, not shock proof or water proof, the winding block is getting a bit worn and it looks too small on the wrist... what should happen to it? I mean, if its a case of selling what doesn't get worn how are we to find somebody who wants to wear it... who wants to risk a broken balance staff or apply more wear to an already well worn piece of irreplaceable kit? Surely someone has to be the care taker of such watches?

People collect all sorts of stuff they don't use, my mum collects snuff boxes but isn't about to partake... should watches be any different?

Anyone changed their mind on this issue? Switched camps?

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't actually worn any of mine for ages...and haven't bought a watch for well over a year now. Although I post in the daily WRUW threads, I don't wear the watches I post...they are just the ones I would be wearing if I could be bothered to open the safe. That's why they're all old pics, too. I have no plans to change this.

#3 ·
I will wear most things I buy, except NOS watches. That can be annoying, but if something has lasted so long unworn it would be unwise for me to wear it and reduce its value.

There is a time and place. I don't visit the hood often, but I wouldn't wear an expensive watch in a poor area or country. I am quite happy strapping on a Timex for a visit to Africa, but not to a black tie dinner in London

#6 ·
The question is if a watch is out of style, not shock proof or water proof, the winding block is getting a bit worn and it looks too small on the wrist... what should happen to it...Surely someone* has to be the care taker of such watches?
*Probably me! :biggrin:
However, I'm pretty fussy, & ensure that I acquire the best unadulterated example that is available. Which has resulted in me waiting years till a particular (scarce) one, that meets my criteria, comes along.
They always get looked over by a watchmaker regardless of cost, future values is of no concern whatsoever too me.

Our pleasures, indulgences in life always come with a cost.

Anyone changed their mind on this issue? Switched camps?
Nope.
Can't see that ever happening with me, have always bought what I like with the intention of keeping/wearing them, obviously some more rarely than others.

:thumbsup:

#8 ·
No, I wear all of my small collection -- precious metal dress watch with jeans, no problem. Watches seem to "dress down" better than they "dress up".

Clearly though, some are worn less often than others. The Rolex and AP get the least wrist time. I did get pangs about that, and offered the AP for sale -- but nobody wanted it, so it stays.

Luckily, (like @Karrusel) "resale value" is not a concept I've ever thought about . . . .

#9 ·
I have one watch that doesn't get worn. It is my father's old Omega. I have other watches that only get worn on the odd occasion. I have a watch that I take on holiday when I am in a place I don't know. I may start wearing my father's watch on his birthday if it is not a work day as I will be getting a new strap on my birthday but other than that will not be wearing it, but it will never be sold.

#10 ·
Well its wired into me to at least consider resale values (not that I flip too many now, and not that it is the be all and end all or my collection would look rather different)

If you wouldn't keep something you don't wear then you aren't really a collector! (zips up flame proof suit)

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I must admit that during all the COVID crisis both the wife and I haven't really bothered wearing watches , she because she can't, working in the nhs and me as I can't really be bothered ( no need retired) and consequently not really going out much so seems pointless. Bit of a shame really but does make you reevaluate things mayBe?

#22 ·
I can't really be bothered ( no need retired) and consequently not really going out much so seems pointless. Bit of a shame really but does make you reevaluate things mayBe?
Exactly this as per andyclient above (although recently retired) for me at the moment with covid, I am not selling yet (its good I don't need to either) as hoping next year will be better for travel and life in general when opportunities to wear watches will be greater :yes:

deano

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a small collection but try to have a varied collection too. I've got my conquest as a daily beater, Hydroconquest as my diver/ sports watch, tag Monaco as my dress watch, constellation as going out in town watch and speedy as a special occasion watch.

They all get worn because they all have a specific purpose....just some more than others.

I think the most il ever own is 6 at a time....and have a 1 in 1 out policy, otherwise they'd just sit there being useless.

its going to get trickier as I go along, I already see the hydroconquest and Monaco being replaced with a planet ocean 39.5mm and breitling navitimer 38 in the next couple of years, possibly my conquest being replaced with a grand Seiko SBGN005, after that it's grail watch and end game with a JLC or Glashutte Original of some sort.

#13 ·
I am not sure why them sitting there makes them useless.

I rarely wear my JLC, mainly because the effort involved setting the triple date moon phase... I do pick it up and admire it a lot though.

#14 ·
I think this is a difficult one to call, because I find my view changes over time. There was a time I had lots to choose from, of modest or little value, and many sat in boxes for months at a time, or were simply never worn and I was fine with that.

Changed circumstances caused me to reconsider what, why and how I collected. I thinned things out leaving, in the end, a handful I really like and wear.

Although very happy with this now, I realise that may change and we all want and take different aspects from our hobby giving us our personal way of collecting. Nothing stays the same, not least as get more knowledge and refine our taste, so I see it as a moving feast. As long as you enjoy it, that's the key.

#15 ·
I have several i don't wear very often, not for any reason I just don't. However I've never actually sold a watch. I too never consider resale as the ones I would part with would fetch such a small amount I'd rather keep it! I do need to downsize a bit though! I do try to give everything a wear at least a couple days every couple months :)

#26 ·
The only watches I don`t wear are those in need of a service or repair :biggrin:

Admittedly there are some of my collection that don`t get much wrist time but I have no intention at this time to let them go :nono: :tongue:

Reactions: Daveyboyz
G
#27 ·
I've stopped wearing my only watch the Mudmaster due to going to Beaverbrooks and everything I tried on just looked like a toy on the wrist, I tried a 43 Tag Carrera which I liked, too small, a Tudor Bronze Bay 43mm looked a little bigger but strap was on the last hole and looked daft, 46mm Ocean Heritage 2, again looked small and the one before I went I wanted the 48mm super avenger, right size just didn't like the look. I tried a few others but no nothing. I've decided to stop wearing it as I won't be able to get passed comparing, and it is big so hopefully this will do the trick

#36 ·
I dread looking at a watch and getting that thought "should I sell it?" because that means the answer is probably yes! I even thought about selling my Nixon lefty 300m today, which can't be right ... but the minute hand does annoy me a bit and the PVD looks prone to scratching ... The Death Knell lol

#31 ·
Well...I was gonna start a new thread but this actually fits the bill (kind off). I've just returned from a week away where I took just one watch.

it was a watch that has not been on my wrist for approximately six months in fact.

The watch in question is my Dan Hodge!

This is my 'special' watch and as such, spends most of it's life sat on my dresser but after wearing it exclusively for seven days, I've fallen in love with it again.

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have 20 odd watches & during covid I have only worn 4 or 5 of them (not all at the same time). This is liable to change though & ones that haven't been worn for a while may well get a look in at some point in the future. I like having the choice :)

#34 ·
Likewise my mother has cabinets full of China and loads of plates on the walls - it is nice to collect things for a hobby and curiosity value.

But I do have one watch I seldom wear, nor would I think to display it - highly polished and well adjusted, for weddings and the like, and I think I should sell it really but, but, IT'S MY BEST WATCH! Average daily rate +0.0 seconds over 2 weeks, maximum deviation over the measuring period 1.7 seconds. How can I sell it ...

So yes, be the caretaker - and I send my watches to a chap who can source most things, and makes what he can't. It can be expensive, but so are many hobbies - I used to run a hobby car - mgb gt - now I run a watch sanctuary!

#35 ·
I have several I don't wear much at all. Before being hospitalised, I got into the habit of pulling a few from my box and they would be the ones I wore until I fancied a change. That could be up to a couple of months. Be interesting to see how I feel when I get home again.

I have decided to sell a couple, but they are not particularly expensive, so will be offering them as forum fund raisers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.