• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

So, magic money fairy came and visited, £1500 sat in the bank...

if you follow my ramblings, you will know that I have a serious need for the Grey Hydroconquest in my life, or maybe the skin/heritage diver, or maybe one of the Oris divers.....

anyway, what’s the general consensus on buy now or wait? Apart from not wanting to do the AD dance around Milton Keynes, are these watches in the £1k-£1500 bracket going to get some price cuts? Vat reduction? Clearance for new models before Xmas? Bite the bullet and go shopping or hand for another few months?

2 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

So, magic money fairy came and visited, £1500 sat in the bank...

if you follow my ramblings, you will know that I have a serious need for the Grey Hydroconquest in my life, or maybe the skin/heritage diver, or maybe one of the Oris divers.....

anyway, what’s the general consensus on buy now or wait? Apart from not wanting to do the AD dance around Milton Keynes, are these watches in the £1k-£1500 bracket going to get some price cuts? Vat reduction? Clearance for new models before Xmas? Bite the bullet and go shopping or hand for another few months?

Personally I would wait another 3 or 4 weeks until furlough ends then I think you will see bigger reductions but could be wrong. 

Doubt if there will be a reduction in VAT as thge coffers must be getting stretched already. New models are possible but it may depend on stocks of existing models and parts ready for production. You might also find that the ones you like sell out quickly if there is a price reduction and you may not like the newer model.

Asking a watch forum whether you should buy a watch, or not (yet) buy, a watch is an exercise in futility.

Of course you should buy  --  and we want to see the unboxing photos tomorrow (at the latest).

Drive a good hard bargain though. Put your credit card on the table and name your (silly, but not completely ridiculous) price. The worst that can happen is that you leave without a watch. But you'd be amazed how mesmeric the sight of a little piece of plastic can be for some ADs.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by yokel
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, yokel said:

Asking a watch forum whether you should buy a watch, or not (yet) buy, a watch is an exercise in futility.

Of course you should buy  --  and we want to see the unboxing photos tomorrow (at the latest).

This ^ is pretty much what I was thinking :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

Have you tried any of them on? If you’re going to do it then head somewhere that has all 3. If it’s Chisholm Hunter or Fraser Hart you can get discounts easily if you ask nicely so no need to wait for sales 

I would go to look knowing you can walk away, you don’t need to buy now, but if you like it buy it. 

Would get a better deal preowned, a lot of choice out there sadly due to the current situation, I’d always buy preowned, wait, oh yes that’s because I can’t afford new.

just don’t put pressure on yourself to buy now or you may regret it, you will know when you put it on, the sun will shine from the clouds and the angels will sing, when that happens buy it 

If you got the cash you can get the grey Longines Hydroconquest for £984. Go onto AMJ and use the code “AMJ2020” at checkout for the 20% off.

hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks all, yes, tried the Hydro on in Bangalore duty free, loved it but they were being dicks about the price - wanted more than an AD back in the UK, even including DF!

i shall leave it till next week i think :)

• Sad 2

On 31/07/2020 at 13:46, scottswatches said:

Spend while you can - tax on luxury items is an easy way for the chancellor to get a bit back politically

To add to that, increasing tax on luxury imported goods and possibly a bit of a reduction on U.K. produced goods.

Although I’m sort of expecting that after Brexit anyway. I point you in the direction of Norway and Singapore where for example imported cars are eyewateringly expensive to buy and put on the road.

All cars are imported to Singapore and Norway Bond, but i see your point.  20 years ago I was offered a job in Singapore,  where a new Rover 75 would cost about £75,000.  Plus the license to buy a car, which was about the same :jawdrop1:

I bought a newer car today :laugh:. Nothing like that sort of money though, but the Merc is sixteen years old now and my wife won't drive it as it is too long