• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Vienna Style Clock Identification

Hello all

Firstly, thank you for accepting my request to register. We have had a Vienna style clock on the family for as long as I can remember, I think before me, it was owned by a great grandmother - prior to that I have no idea. I was wondering if any of the resident experts could help me identify who made the clock and roughly what age it is? It’s purely for interest... it’s a family clock and I suspect its a cheap knock-off and have no plans to sell. I’ve seen a couple of others knocking about on EBay however none of them give any of the information I am after. Let me know if you need anything other details. Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer me.

DC4-ECF16-E873-43-E9-84-A2-C4-A47-F30016 72188367-4018-46-F9-A3-E2-39-B9-C3305507 69-A22726-C43-A-4816-9-BEC-C6-B2-DBA589-

P.s. sorry about the photos being sideways!! Not sure how to fix it.

I stand in danger of being "hanged" by you for saying this, dear Hangman, but there is no real way to identify your clock with any degree of certainty from the photographs you have posted.  These clocks have been made in large numbers and right up to the present time, and I have come across a number of modern Far Eastern versions, some of which have the look but don't pass scrutiny.  As you may already know, the "R A" mark with an arrow on the pendulum bob merely stands for "Retard/Advance" and bears no relationship to a particular maker. I would expect your clock to most likely be German in origin, but dating it exactly would require examining the clock in person.:)

Thank you for your reply @Always"watching". I am totally ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing. What sort of features would you wish to examine should you be in person? I don’t mind a bit of disassembly if that would prove helpful. I need to do some re-balancing of the pendulum movement anyway as its slightly off-centre. Or at least, off centre to the plaque at the bottom of it.

I suppose it would be nice if the movement bears a manufacturer's mark or name and old clocks sometimes have paper labels inside; there might at least be a country of origin stamped or marked somewhere. There are also possible clues to dating by the case; it should be fairly east to spot a modern case as against something period, and a genuinely old dial and hands can usually be differentiated from something more modern. 

Thanks for posting those images. This is a real puzzler, with no means of identifying the maker or even the retailer. Even the age of the piece is problematic; I would suggest that it is old but not antique, and probably has a European origin. I think we may have to leave it at that unless a knowledgeable member can identify the movement. :)