• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Over the last few years I have been ( obviously ) sponging in watch info like there is no tomorrow, apart from the 4 week interruption that was mid March to mid April this year [ when I wore a casio solar and had not a moment spare for pursuits such as note-burning , err , sorry I mean't watch buying/collecting ]. Anyhow I have a fairly good idea now as to which watches seem prone to flipping and which don't so much from various manufacturers ...

From two of the "big players" it appears from my experiences that Rolex DJs tend to stick with their owners, whereas Rolex Divers tend to be parted with more easily. Also with Omega it appears that ATs don't get flipped much whereas Speedies do ... I know this is not scientific and just my experiences, but could it be that the more simple ( some say boring ) sports watches like the AT and DJ just satisfy the masses and enthusiasts alike whereas more "fancy" watches tend to bore their owners !?

Anyone have any observations to add to this to support or challenge ?

• Like 1

Watched a video on YouTube a couple of days ago (Bark&Jack) and Adrian was talking about the lack of Rolex Explorer's on Chrono 24 and very few on Flebay.

It was the 36mm model, but he had noticed a lack of availability on that model. My guess is that the Date Just model is bought as a 'first' Rolex whereas the Submariner is bought with flipping as a possibility in the buyers mind.

I can't talk about Omega as I have no experience of them.

With interest rates so low, and Gold getting so high i can only see watch prices getting higher on the models that are regularly flipped. Good news for anyone with a stash of Rolex and Omega as long as it's the right models.

• Like 1

Completely agree with the above. I think you’ll find ‘hot watches’, the more ‘iconic’ watches tend to be flipped easier. 

Subs, Speedys....I think mainly because the original buyer knows they can get a good price and not take a Bath in the second hand market, 

dress watches less so....I’ve been trying to find a nice pre owned navitimer and they really aren’t that available....same for the Zenith Defy titanium.,,,not that many about 

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

I have a few friends who have simple dress Rolex, and they all have the same thing in common, all owned for 30+ years, all 21st birthday gifts.

I have two, both inherited, and not going anywhere.

Let me point of the Navitimer isn't a massively common watch, and it retains value pretty well (though people looking to retain value don't generally buy Breitlings) 

The sub and the speedy also retain value and are very common but are super easy to sell.  The kind of person looking to retain value and sell on later precisely goes for these brands, Rolex more so than Omega. 

Tudor, many people buy and then start to think though bought second best and end up eventually upgrading to Rolex. 

Just my opinion. 

Anything with massive appreciation will probably be flipped if the owner hits stormy financial seas or if the profit is just too great to resist.

I'd also say that the 1k-2k mid range is flipped quite often things like certina, mido, ML, hamilton, oris seem to be in good 2nd hand supply as people either consolidate into a few 'bigger name' watches or decide that wearing the cost of a decent weeks holiday on your wrist is just ridiculous and a citizen, seiko or casio will do the job.

Microbrands seem to be another category in good 2nd hand supply, probably because they are designed with more risky aesthetics but for lower cost, someone will buy one and decide it's not for them. and move it on.

Omega is my most flipped brand

• 5 x Speedmasters (cal 321, cal 861 and 3 x cal 1861)
  • 4 x Speedmasters (Mk 2, 3, 4, 4.5)
  • 2 x Speedmaster X33
  • 1 x Railmaster
  • 1 x Aqua Terra
  • 1 x Seamaster Pro
  • 1 x Seamaster GMT
  • 1 x Seamaster 120
  • and a few other vintage models I have forgotten

I have since bought an X-33 and a Mk4.5 which are now keepers, wish I had kept the Seamaster GMT and the Speedmaster Gemini IV

• Like 1

I used to have a real problem with Speed asters. Flipped every one I've had, including 2 moon watches. 3 reduced, a Ratrapente and a Panda Speedy. 

Now they are on the banned list. Not so my SMP which I've had about ten years. 

• Like 2

On the Dark Side, Steeldive seem to be simultaneously talked up as a great new brand (delivering near-Seiko quality homage watches for a fraction of the price), and relentlessy flipped by anyone who's bought one.

Personally, I've flipped alot of Steinharts very quickly. Never quite felt the love. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, apm101 said:

On the Dark Side, Steeldive seem to be simultaneously talked up as a great new brand (delivering near-Seiko quality homage watches for a fraction of the price), and relentlessy flipped by anyone who's bought one.

Personally, I've flipped alot of Steinharts very quickly. Never quite felt the love. 

Interesting, I have bought quite a few homage style watches and flipped all of them, like you said, never quite felt it

• Thanks 1

Only ever sold two . . . . . .

Santos Quartz (after over a quarter of a century)  --  realised my developing collection contained better black tie watches (dark side sale) . . .

gVulOwh.jpg

Seatime Olymp Bronze (after a few weeks)  --  bought from Stowa without having ever seen it "in the metal", and it never felt right on my wrist. It's now living happily with @Boots . . .

jD5LRfT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 04/08/2020 at 08:12, scottswatches said:

Tudor watches seem to me to be flipped quite a bit.  I think they look great, but for me are too thick to live with daily (the ones I have handled anyway)

^^^ This (until i acquired my BB36mm)

On 10/08/2020 at 18:36, JoT said:

Interesting, I have bought quite a few homage style watches and flipped all of them, like you said, never quite felt it

Me too and had some nice ones - my BIL is a watch snob but even he was enthusing about one of my homages but easy to let go of.  I currently have a miyota powered Railmaster homage, but unless the strap I just ordered does something for it / me, then that will be out of the door too.  I think they are often a curiosity buy.

On 11/08/2020 at 12:37, yokel said:

bought from Stowa without having ever seen it "in the metal"@Boots

jD5LRfT.jpg

I have never sold a watch that I tried on before I bought it.  Internet buying must be the reason for many a flip.

• Like 1