• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

A few of my pet hates on watches - in no particular order:

Roman numerals (unless on a pocket watch). 

Lumed bezels - why do you need a bezel with luminous numbers/markers? In some cases they seem brighter than the lume on the dial/hands & what do you need to time in the dark (for up to an hour) anyway? 

Blue dials - I've owned a few but I've not yet found a watch with a blue dial that I like enough to keep long term. No idea why as I like blue seas, blue skies, blue movies (occasionally), blue t-shirts, blue pants, blue jeans, the blues (as in music) etc etc. 

Monstrously big (50mm+) gem encrusted carbuncles that look utterly ridiculous on any/everyone - even those with the mightiest of wrists. 

Sorry felt the need to vent - feel free to add to this or shoot me down in flames :thumbs_up:

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Multiple lines of meaningless text on a dial. White hands on a white dial. Certain colours of dial, notably red, green, purple and orange. The word “Automatic” on an automatic watch. Wh

Ever tried to buy certain models of cars? This isn’t just a Rolex thing. Or JLC. Or Patek Phillipe. Or Richard Mille.... Personally I’m not a fan of any homage watches. Dress it up however you want

Biggest and worst.....hands that do not perfectly align with indices  (quartz seconds hands in particular.) Leather straps Without deployant clasps. Gross overpackaging of new items

Posted Images

I firmly dislike;

• Polished 'silver' hands that disappear just when you actually want to see what time it is (ie all polished 'silver' hands) :sign_wtf:
  • Silver hands on a silver dial or black hands on a black dial :nono:
  • Date window on the tilt at 4pm/4:30pm :thumbdown:
  • Unnecessarily long flat lugs :wacko:
  • Anything with diamonds :scared:
  • Prices I can't afford :laugh:

• Like 1

- watches I can’t try on at dealers 

- oversized watches....it would be nice to have versions for small/ large wrists 

- display case back/ skeleton watches with undecorated movements

- some entry level watches with luxury brands....you just know they’re shorting you the finishing etc..it’s like buying the base model BMW with 16 inch wheels, no cruise control etc. 

- boring hands! Don’t just point at the date, do it with some flare...don’t look like you’ve come from a parts bin that every manufacturer dips into 

- unbalanced/ top heavy watches. I can’t wear some Chrono versions of my favourite watches becuase they are so thick they try to spin on my wrist 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WickerBill said:

- oversized watches....it would be nice to have versions for small/ large wrists 

- display case back/ skeleton watches with undecorated movements

- some entry level watches with luxury brands....you just know they’re shorting you the finishing etc..it’s like buying the base model BMW with 16 inch wheels, no cruise control etc. 

- boring hands! Don’t just point at the date, do it with some flare...don’t look like you’ve come from a parts bin that every manufacturer dips into 

- unbalanced/ top heavy watches. I can’t wear some Chrono versions of my favourite watches becuase they are so thick they try to spin on my wrist 

I agree, watches seem to be getting bigger!large.20200804_104550.jpg.27dd70d736f7a5fc88e52a9ecae9169f.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, WickerBill said:

Sorry to be dim WB, but do you mean watches which are internet only (and therefore not available in ADs)? Or do you mean that some ADs won't let you try on a watch they have in stock (which I've never personally experienced)?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, yokel said:

Sorry to be dim WB, but do you mean watches which are internet only (and therefore not available in ADs)? Or do you mean that some ADs won't let you try on a watch they have in stock (which I've never personally experienced)?

As in not available in ADs either because they don’t carry a model that is being sold or because, in the case of brands like Rolex there is a waiting list. 

How on earth am I meant to part with £5000 if I haven’t even seen the watch or tried it on. 

• Like 1

Biggest and worst.....hands that do not perfectly align with indices  (quartz seconds hands in particular.)

Leather straps Without deployant clasps.

Gross overpackaging of new items

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Roger said:

Biggest and worst.....hands that do not perfectly align with indices  (quartz seconds hands in particular.)

Leather straps Without deployant clasps.

Gross overpackaging of new items

Ohhhh il go with the first 2!!!! First one is a must for me....I’m not a quartz hater, but they have to be a nice quality quartz like the 9F Grand Seiko which ALWAYS hits the markers, either that or a small seconds quartz like my Monaco so if it’s off slightly you can’t notice! 

i agree with deployant clasps for the most part, unless it’s meant to be a historical recreation in which case a pin buckle is fine

actually that’s another point...recreations with a date window....just don’t...please don’t do that! 

Edited by WickerBill

:hmmm9uh:

:mad0218:    External Cyclops

OrYmZkk.jpg

:(    Tiny date windows  --  especially those at 4 o'clock which don't show the date upright. Is it "styling" or just plain lazy?

OhkXsyh.jpg

:cursed: Small watch faces surrounded by acres of metal to make a large watch case (yes, looking at you, Monsieur Genta).

xlQs3mC.jpg

:nono:   Mechanical movements which are significantly smaller than the case into which they are fitted  --  smacks of "oh, it'll do" to me.

TNImmF5.jpg

and

:russian_roulette:  Diamond encrustation.

j9e6QXw.jpg

Edited by yokel
  • Like 2

Multiple lines of meaningless text on a dial.

White hands on a white dial.

Certain colours of dial, notably red, green, purple and orange.

The word “Automatic” on an automatic watch. Why, for heaven sake? They never put “Quartz“ on quartz watches (they used to in the ‘70s) or “Hand Wound” on hand wound watches (though I believe one German maker does put “Handaufzug” on).

Little guns and the letters 007 on a watch dial.

Canteen crowns.

Anything vulgar but not covered by the above.

• Like 4

Numbers crunched in half on chronos or other dial designs - usually at 12 and 6.

Roman numerals squashed onto small dials where they can't be spaced out properly. 

• Like 1
As in not available in ADs either because they don’t carry a model that is being sold or because, in the case of brands like Rolex there is a waiting list. 

How on earth am I meant to part with £5000 if I haven’t even seen the watch or tried it on. 

Ever tried to buy certain models of cars? This isn’t just a Rolex thing. Or JLC. Or Patek Phillipe. Or Richard Mille....

Personally I’m not a fan of any homage watches. Dress it up however you want but the likes of Parnis, SKMEI, X-Gear etc all obtain parts from the same suppliers that make counterfeit watches.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like this thread...a place to rant...

just stepping onto my soapbox...

• Fake chrono pushers and sub-dials.
  • Too much text on a dial or case listing specs or functions.
  • Special Editions that aren't that special.
  • Metal bracelets with insufficient adjustment.
  • Permanent fixed pin links on bracelets, and to some degree integrated bracelets.
  • Roman numerals and pretend aged lume (one or the other...if it's both...oh dear)
  • Quartz watches that were working before a battery change, but die with a new battery (Seiko 7T32's aahhhhhhh!)
  • Watch snobs.
  • Watches sold via social media that that purport to be 'luxury', and 'cutting out the middle man' mein gott, was bockmist!

There's more, but that will do for starters.

:biggrin:

1 hour ago, Igerswis said:

Ever tried to buy certain models of cars? This isn’t just a Rolex thing. Or JLC. Or Patek Phillipe. Or Richard Mille....

Personally I’m not a fan of any homage watches. Dress it up however you want but the likes of Parnis, SKMEI, X-Gear etc all obtain parts from the same suppliers that make counterfeit watches.

I don’t expect a full range but some would be nice....with Rolex in particular you don’t get that....wait 2 years for a watch I’ve never seen in the flesh never mind tried on....not going to happen 

2 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

I don’t expect a full range but some would be nice....with Rolex in particular you don’t get that....wait 2 years for a watch I’ve never seen in the flesh never mind tried on....not going to happen 

They have plenty in stock and on display. I think you may be referring to the s/steel sports models which are indeed unavailable at most AD's. That's a small part of their entire collection though.

2 hours ago, AVO said:

Multiple lines of meaningless text on a dial.

White hands on a white dial.

Certain colours of dial, notably red, green, purple and orange.

The word “Automatic” on an automatic watch. Why, for heaven sake? They never put “Quartz“ on quartz watches (they used to in the ‘70s) or “Hand Wound” on hand wound watches (though I believe one German maker does put “Handaufzug” on).

Little guns and the letters 007 on a watch dial.

Canteen crowns.

Anything vulgar but not covered by the above.

Agree 100% on the 007 and `little guns`, absolutely cheapens the look of a lovely watch, its something you`d expect to find on a kids watch, why Omega did this even though its a `bond watch` is beyond me.

........and bling, the type a few posts above being a perfect example.

Edited by sabailand
1 hour ago, Igerswis said:

They have plenty in stock and on display. I think you may be referring to the s/steel sports models which are indeed unavailable at most AD's. That's a small part of their entire collection though.

Well I’ve been to every major AD including WOS, goldsmiths, mappin and Webb in my local area.....and other than a Rolex Cellini they have never had a single Watch new in store

Edited by WickerBill

Day Date displays at 3 a la 7750 / Seiko. 

Quartz watches. That 'ticking' second hand just irritates me, I also tried a bulova but I still know it's quartz and therefore the irritation returns. A shame as I love the idea of a HAQ GS or Breitling.

Fashion watches, an AX, MK or Gucci that costs more than something interesting from Orient, Seiko or Hamilton. Yes there are some fashion brands that are exempt, Hermes, Cartier, Bulgari etc. do some incredible watches and if Armani brought something out that rivaled an Octo Finissimo or Cartier Santos, then they'd be off the list but no they bring out watches that cost under £20 to make and sell them for hundreds.

Rolex. I know they are good watches It's their sales and marketing I have issues with, from nod and wink undeserved appropriation of others accomplishments and innovations to cynical manipulation of the marketplace resulting in, amongst other things, otherwise interesting internet horology resources being full of 'how to get on a list' and 'how much is this, probably fake, sub that we found in the loft worth' and 'I've bought a grape OP a fluted 2 tone DJ and a cellini and I'm still being given the brush off by my AD, All I want is a no date sub at rrp' threads.

Omega. I really don;t know why. I love the Idea of a Seamaster or Planet Ocean but every time I look at one I just feel a bit flat. Speedmaster is one of the most overrated watches ever IMHO again I should love it (bit space nerd, like cars / racing) but nope.

• 2 weeks later...

Quality watch brands that fit inferior quality straps on their watches. In my experience Tissot are the worst culprits, whereas Hamilton, part of the same group supply much better in the same price range.

• Like 1