• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Not sure about this one now it's arrived. The dial looks too clean compared with the case and those dot markers don't look right. Repaint job, or am I just paranoid?

Allaine FHF 73

FHF 73 under the covers, alternative bridge shape. (See FHF 73-4 on ranfft)

FHF 73

I know what you mean about those dot markers, Norman @spinynorman, although in terms of the overall condition of the dial, I have seen watches with a similar difference in condition between dial and case. One thing I notice about the watch which might be relevant is that the hands appear to be silver metal while the markers are gold plated/gold tone.

I know that you are very knowledgable about Allaine watches, and I therefore feel that you should take your gut reaction seriously. If anyone is going to correctly decide on the period authenticity of that watch, it is probably you yourself.:)

• Thanks 1

These cheap Chinese microscopes are worth having for this sort of thing. The resolution and magnification is really good. 

Mine cost about 50 quid and it has a 3'' screen or you can plug it into a laptop. You can take stills and videos to record intricate disassembly as well.

Best £50 I spent on watch stuff

• Thanks 1

Here's one on Amazon, reduced by £10.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microscope-Continuous-Magnification-Adjustable-Rechargeable/dp/B07K43RBG8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=digital+microscope&qid=1596652418&sr=8-6

There's a few different brand names but they are all the same generic type thing. It gives you a link to download an app to use it on your laptop.

If you look at the photo, I turn mine around 180 deg so I'm working with the object on my bench rather than the little table it comes with. Need a weight on it though to stop it toppling, a tin of lead shot is what I use.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, My old eyes don't see anything to be concerned about. All of the dial text looks crisp and regular. Plus, the FHF 73 isn't one I'd tend to associate with the Mumbai Creatives.

Often a sign of a repaint is paint creep up the sides of the baton markers. Failing that, I suppose it could always be a redial rather than a repaint.

Regards.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Balaton1109 said:

FWIW, My old eyes don't see anything to be concerned about. All of the dial text looks crisp and regular. Plus, the FHF 73 isn't one I'd tend to associate with the Mumbai Creatives.

Often a sign of a repaint is paint creep up the sides of the baton markers. Failing that, I suppose it could always be a redial rather than a repaint.

Regards.

Thanks. I'm feeling better about it. Anyway, I really bought it for the movement, and I haven't seen that many chromed case Allaines, so could just be this style of dial hasn't crossed my path yet.

25 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Thanks. I'm feeling better about it. Anyway, I really bought it for the movement, and I haven't seen that many chromed case Allaines, so could just be this style of dial hasn't crossed my path yet.

I've no doubt that many more will.

• Like 1