• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What was your favorite toy growing up?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my best toy ever

not afarid to say a doll( to show my feminine side ) but it was a mans doll! spent many a happy hour lobbing bricks at them in bunkers had the big equipment too, space capsule , jeep, in fact

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Scalextrics.  I can't remember what set I had. The 60's was a long time ago.    But back in those days regardless of the weather we were never in

Posted Images

Model railway. But for some reason my parents bought the Triang Canadian Pacific set, so the trains going through my English Airfix stations were like the ones top and bottom of this catalogue page. I also had the wagon with the helicopter that took off.

Can%20Cat%2065-66%20int.jpg

• Like 1

When I was about 15, I saved all my paper round money and bought a Mamod Traction engine. I had the Showman's engine version, (pictured below) but there was also a steam roller version, too. It was fired by methylated spirits which went into a burner at the back and a long rod with a wooden handle on it screwed onto a thread inside the funnel and allowed you to steer it. It gave me many hours of pleasure.

Image result for Mamod steam traction engine

• Like 3

When I was at school I was all about the Airfix models, mainly WW2 stuff, which I used to assemble and paint, then hang them from my bedroom ceiling. The walls were painted in blue and white clouds, and I painted a Deep Purple "Stormbringer" album cover mural on the door.  Happy days! :biggrin:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tazmo61 said:

My favourite was my spud gun . Only problem was we would get in trouble for using all the spuds up .:laugh:

BKv60sNl.jpg

I had one, not that exact model, but the same idea. When younger I had Mr Potato Head. For some reason I put the finished head in a cupboard in the spare room and forgot about it. Six months later we found the potato had sprouted and it's tentacles had taken over the cupboard.

• Haha 2

not afarid to say a doll( to show my feminine side :laugh::laugh:) but it was a mans doll! spent many a happy hour lobbing bricks at them in bunkers:biggrin:

original vintage action man painted hair german stormtrooper - 308

had the big equipment too, space capsule , jeep, in fact i still have his foot lockers in the garage !

deano

• Like 5
On 07/08/2020 at 08:13, Iceblue said:

I had one of these, i remember the adverts on telly where it did wheelies, sumersaults, flying off ramps etc, my experience was wind up the energizer, set it off, only for it to veer off to the left or right and then flop on its side after about eight foot.:(

• Haha 2
Just now, sabailand said:

I had one of these, i remember the adverts on telly where it did wheelies, sumersaults, flying off ramps etc, my experience was wind up the energizer, set it off, only for it to veer off to the left or right and then flop on its side after about eight foot.:(

Eight foot!  You must have had the deluxe model. 

• Haha 1
On 06/08/2020 at 22:02, Roy said:

Subbuteo, used to play it on the carpet, what a nightmare, there were many injuries :laugh:

001. SPECIAL EDITION ENGLAND & BRAZIL SUBBUTEO BOX SET.

Not half, kneeling on them was a huge hazard, it wasnt long before a team resembled a dwarfs team with many glued back onto their base from their knees.:laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

Matchbox cars and trucks, no idea what happened to them, I had no particular favourite, used to like lining them up along the edge of the carpet (no fitted carpets those days)! :laugh:

When I was a bit older it was my first train set with Nellie as my first engine

N-2.JPG

Then aged 9 I was bought my first two wheel bike, toys were forgotten about, other than Airfix kits (if they count)

• Like 2

Has to be my MERIT chemistry set.

I loved doing chemistry experiments and accumulated loads of chemistry glassware and chemicals additional to the basic MERIT sets I had given to me as presents. In those days, a trip to the local pharmacy could be most exciting as there was no real health and safety issue about youngsters arming themselves with hazardous chemicals. I once nearly poisoned myself with chlorine gas I manufactured during one of my experiments, and I developed a liking for making solid fuel rockets which myself and a few friends at school set off, with only minimal alarm expressed by the housemaster. Those were the days...:laugh:

• Like 1
On 08/08/2020 at 17:40, Always"watching" said:

I once nearly poisoned myself with chlorine gas

I was trying to explain this to my wife recently. I took the carbon rods out of an Eveready battery, put them in salt water and connected another battery to the rods. No idea why I wanted to make chlorine, I suppose just because I could. Like lighting farts in the bath.

• Haha 1

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Scalextrics. 

8d67c0568748f6057356c507367fbdbf.JPG

I can't remember what set I had. The 60's was a long time ago. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

But back in those days regardless of the weather we were never in so the main things were a bike and a football. 

I also remember only getting one big present at Christmas and then maybe a couple of Dinky cars, a selection box, new Jim Jams which were kept for New Years eve and a couple of tangerines, birthdays were clothes and we were happy as Larry. 

How times have changed with kids these day. 

:)

• Like 4

This...

But I used to drive my mum daft with chucking them down the stairs.  Oddly they disappeared when we moved house, I was gutted!

6117774404_fac45b7fee.jpg

But I also loved my bike and spent most of my childhood conducting cycling getaways :biggrin:

I was also mad keen on Airfix kits, something I still dabble with on occasion today

• Like 1

Still have the bulk of mine :whistle:

Most of the DublO, track & rolling stock, including my favourite item...

FavXmAY.jpg

bfknJ3W.jpg

Many a happy hour spent on George Cadbury's model boat lake...

mlFihsr.jpg

55CpGkR.jpg

TvzFkiC.jpg

Wonder if you can still get the batteries for it :hmmm9uh:

:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 08/08/2020 at 17:10, JoT said:

Matchbox cars and trucks, no idea what happened to them

I also had a massive collection of Matchbox toys.  My Dad bought me a different one every week, and if I'd kept them all "mint in box" they would have been worth a fortune by now.... :whistle:  Obviously I didn't keep them mint in box, and the only ones I have left are a handful of "Models from Yesteryear" and since they have no boxes they're worth approximately bugger all :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Davey P said:

I also had a massive collection of Matchbox toys.  My Dad bought me a different one every week, and if I'd kept them all "mint in box" they would have been worth a fortune by now.... :whistle:  Obviously I didn't keep them mint in box, and the only ones I have left are a handful of "Models from Yesteryear" and since they have no boxes they're worth approximately bugger all :laughing2dw:

I bet you get them out now & then  when your`e alone & push them round while making vroom, vroom noises :laugh:

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Still have the bulk of mine :whistle:

Most of the DublO, track & rolling stock, including my favourite item...

FavXmAY.jpg

bfknJ3W.jpg

Many a happy hour spent on George Cadbury's model boat lake...

mlFihsr.jpg

55CpGkR.jpg

TvzFkiC.jpg

Wonder if you can still get the batteries for it :hmmm9uh:

:biggrin:

stunning collection alan, just the way i like to keep my stuff , love the RAF tender  :thumbsup:

deano

I remember having quite a few of those things, including that wonderful boat. The lifebelts on top were the switches and controls if I remember correctly?

One of the things I remember wanting most was a Dan Dare radio station. When it arrived one Christmas I was so excited, but it turned out to be pretty naff. @mach 0.0013137, did you ever have one of those?