• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watches for munging about in the hills ...

Jet Jetski

35 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

If I was looking to buy a watch for the hills today, I reckon I'd plump for the Archimede Outdoor.

In fact, although my mountaineering days are well and truly over, I still might buy one.

good shout!

Found a picture of me on Kinder actually getting burnt to a cinder 6 yrs ago ...  although the wind was still trying to blow stuff away (so I had to stand on it)!

hills.thumb.jpg.8365e0522941b27f0ff4b11042895488.jpg

can't believe how many years I must have had that hat ...  emergency buy from Marks and Spencers when I needed some SPF lol

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

FWIW, I think the Casio is leaps and bounds ahead of the EB you are replacing, I have always thought EB a bit... Blousy.. All fur coat and no knickers, whereas the Casio is a top notch piece of kit it also auto date adjusts too.  I had one for a while but sadly I never wore it so I passed it on.

The traser skeleton hand shouldn't have been an issue as it is tritium tubed (or the modern equivalent).

I have a mate (ex-Royal Marine) who is mountain mad and he always wears two watches, he uses a regular analogue quartz (I think its an Omega seamaster pro) and a SUUNTO watch which gives him all sorts of additional info, he even taught me how to use an analogue watch as a compass.

Good tip that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biker said:

use an analogue watch as a compass.

Good tip that.

3 hours ago, Alpha550t said:

showed my daughter in law the compass trick

This is even easier, no trick required as it is a 24hr dial (oh, Solar time only I am afraid, you have to adjust for DST manually!  Oh, and it's no good in Australia ...)

Just point the golden hand at the sun ...

No photo description available.

On 08/08/2020 at 09:31, Igerswis said:

Do you take two pairs of boots too?

Stan : Hey Mike, lemme borrow your spares [boots], eh?

Michael : No, Stan.

Stan : No? What do you mean no?

Michael : Just what I said, no. No means no.

That's when you know he's the one coming back from 'Nam.

The-Deer-Hunter-1978-Michael-Robert-De-Niro-hunts-and-kills-a-deer.jpg

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biker said:

EB a bit

I think they make a tough watch, but it was a real lump, uncomfortable to put on and adjust, and the business about screwing the back on with 6 hex-bolts? - there is no doubt that a fully screwed case back compresses the seals more evenly, that is why the Gallet clam-shell design only survived for a long time on square shaped watches.  So it was a good watch, but not for me, and I was dreading the first scratch on the PVD - I don't mind my casio getting beat up, and I am sure after 10 scrapes and scratches I would have been fine with my EB, but it's that first dreadful score ...    Also needed a special tool to remove the solid lug bars to swap out the straps - what is that about?  The bars were too close to the case, so there was not even a quick change option on the NATO / webbing straps - the bars physically gripped the straps.  I sold it for more than I paid, so all good.

I was looking therefore for a steel or titanium cased watch, with easy strap changes.  My Tag 6000 would be perfect if it had a diver's clasp extension on the bracelet (it doesn't) or traditional strap bars for a NATO (it doesn't - the bracelets and straps screw into the case, with erm, some loctite thread-lock lol).  I used to have one of these,  but I gave it away - Citizen Eco-drive RM 300m diver - very nice but the bracelet tapered too much for my liking.:  s-l1600.jpg

The Citizen Satellite wave says the strap /bracelet size is 23mm  -  the last Citizen AT I had was 22mm between lugs, but the spring bars were curved to take a 23mm strap. 23mm is big ....  can't wait for it to arrive though and see.

I didn't realise it, but although I got it from e-bay, it was actually sold through the Cash Converters e-bay store (CC-electrical - no hint lol)

On 08/08/2020 at 09:31, Igerswis said:

I’ve done the three peaks (the proper ones) with only one watch each time and I was fine.

Wearing two watches in the mountains has a jolly long pedigree - from the 1953 Everest Expedition:

"You will see the same watches (or at least watches that all seem pretty identical to me) feature prominently (if indistinctly) from the British Embassy in Kathmandu right up to Hillary and Tenzing setting off from base camp. Tenzing really does look like he's wearing the gold Rolex on a metal strap for the final assault (and nothing else. I was wrong). One other member of the expedition is clearly wearing two watches, one of which looks like a Smiths and the other very clearly a Rolex. Enjoy!"

Downloaded from https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?418965-Smiths-or-Rolex-Which-One-Was-the-First-Watch-on-Mt-Everest

three peaks lol

Wearing two watches in the mountains has a jolly long pedigree - from the 1953 Everest Expedition:
"You will see the same watches (or at least watches that all seem pretty identical to me) feature prominently (if indistinctly) from the British Embassy in Kathmandu right up to Hillary and Tenzing setting off from base camp. Tenzing really does look like he's wearing the gold Rolex on a metal strap for the final assault (and nothing else. I was wrong). One other member of the expedition is clearly wearing two watches, one of which looks like a Smiths and the other very clearly a Rolex. Enjoy!"
Downloaded from https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?418965-Smiths-or-Rolex-Which-One-Was-the-First-Watch-on-Mt-Everest
three peaks lol

Seriously if you had a brain you’d be able to afford a proper watch rather than the ones you found inside kids Kinder Eggs.

1953 was decades before the mobile telephone and handheld GPS. Having built in redundancy in your equipment was far more difficult back then and you needed to carry much more to have a similar level of safety these days.

Now a phone doubles as a watch, camera and GPS. So we take a watch anyway in case the phone dies. We have a handheld GPS in case the phone dies. We have a dedicated camera for better photos but the phone is more convenient at times.

There’s no logical reason why anyone would take two watches these days. They’re covered by gloves anyway at higher altitude.

Keep laughing at the 3 peaks but I didn’t want to go mountaineering around the world. Not my thing and I have other hobbies and interests. I did help friends plan their Everest Base Camp and Mount Kilimanjaro expeditions. Nobody wore two watches for those.

It is worth mentioning in this generally LIGHT HEARTED thread, that regardless of how many watches, phones, hand held GPS devices you may require, the minimum requirement for such activities is two people. Watches, telephones, and hand held GPS do not have the ability to administer CPR. I have first hand experience of this, and it is part of the mountain guide training, although that suggests a minimum of three. Don't ever make the mistake that heart problems only affect the old, unfit and unwell.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Bear seems to get by with a couple of ropes and a small knapsack 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

And a camera  crew. :laughing2dw:

I won't give the name away, but a friend of mine was in the crew when a famous television celeb was "walking" round Britian. Their rucksack was filled with inflated balloons , and once the camera was off, it was a helicopter to the next location.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously if you had a brain you’d be able to afford a proper watch rather than the ones you found inside kids Kinder Eggs.

1953 was decades before the mobile telephone and handheld GPS. Having built in redundancy in your equipment was far more difficult back then and you needed to carry much more to have a similar level of safety these days.

Now a phone doubles as a watch, camera and GPS. So we take a watch anyway in case the phone dies. We have a handheld GPS in case the phone dies. We have a dedicated camera for better photos but the phone is more convenient at times.

There’s no logical reason why anyone would take two watches these days. They’re covered by gloves anyway at higher altitude.

Keep laughing at the 3 peaks but I didn’t want to go mountaineering around the world. Not my thing and I have other hobbies and interests. I did help friends plan their Everest Base Camp and Mount Kilimanjaro expeditions. Nobody wore two watches for those.

Are you alright? The bloke only said people have worn two watches on mountains for a long time.
Have a day off, grab a cuppa and chill out man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Igerswis said:

They’re covered by gloves anyway at higher altitude.

Not if you wear it over your sleeve / glove.  Which I do.  That is why G10 straps are so long, and why many field watches on bracelets e.g. Archimede Outdoor have a diver's clasp extension. I believe some 'Services' watches in the 30's for drivers and riders came on a long strap to go over your outer wear.  It's a regular thing.  If it's pouring with rain, I am not pulling my sleeve up to look at my watch!

Image preview

Which is why I need decent WR (see the original post - 30m WR would be enough under a waterproof lol)

Edited by Jet Jetski